Is there a guide on reasonable TERMS for contract & invoice payment protecting the translators?
Thread poster: George Staicu
George Staicu
George Staicu
Romania
Local time: 11:00
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2021

Hi everybody!

Is there a complete guide on reasonable TERMS for contract & invoice payment that are acceptable to translators and protecting them against bad faith clients/firms?

I would like to know what are the latest best practices regarding the acceptable TERMS/CLAUSES for the CONTRACT/PURCHASING ORDER especially the ones related to the payment of the invoice issued by a freelance translator.
I did extensive read on the internet and here on Proz.com forums but
... See more
Hi everybody!

Is there a complete guide on reasonable TERMS for contract & invoice payment that are acceptable to translators and protecting them against bad faith clients/firms?

I would like to know what are the latest best practices regarding the acceptable TERMS/CLAUSES for the CONTRACT/PURCHASING ORDER especially the ones related to the payment of the invoice issued by a freelance translator.
I did extensive read on the internet and here on Proz.com forums but it seems our translators community lacks a BEST PRACTICES UNIFORM approach to the contract/purchase order/invoice payment TERMS aimed at protecting the translators interests against the late payment or non-payment risk generated by bad faith customers.

I think Proz.com should lead a project for the creation of STANDARDS (in ONE sole place, not scatered in many places) in the area of CONTRACT/PURCHASE ORDER/INVOICE PAYMENT TERMS FOR THE PROTECTION OF TRANSLATORS.

Otherwise my questions are as follows:

1. is it OK to ask my client for my invoice to be paid WITHIN ONE/TWO WEEKS from the invoice date?
I think everything longer than 1/2 weeks means giving a free credit to the client/translation firm. Why should I extend credit to clients for a longer period, given that I have to pay my dues (especially considering the current gas and electric energy crises) on a monthly basis?
Some translators state that the fair term is payment before delivery or, at least, payment immediately upon receiving the translation and checking/proofreading if it meets the required standard.

2. is it OK to ask my client that 50% of the total price of my translation my to be paid in advance?

3. What should be the format/content/fields/structure of a PO (Purchasing Order) issued by my client BEFORE I start the translation work? Where can I see a sample of a such Purchasing Order?

4. Is there available a sample of a contract between me and my client that protects my interests as a translator?

5. In my invoice should I add the Value Added Tax to my translation rate ?

6. Should I state in the invoice OR in the contract OR both that the bank wire payment fees must be born/paid by the client?

7. What payment method is better? Paypal, Wise or bank wire transfer DIRECTLY into my bank account?

8. What effective legal actions could be taken against bad debtors for unpaid invoices?

9. What other recommendations would you suggest in order to protect as much as possible the translators' interest ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!! 🙏🙏
I'm sure your answers will be beneficial to all translators in the world.👍👍

George Florin Staicu
English to Romanian
Romanian to English

[Edited at 2021-10-23 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a guide on reasonable TERMS for contract & invoice payment protecting the translators?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »