HELP WITH CERTIFICATE OF TAX RESIDENCE IN BRAZIL
Thread poster: Jack Martin
Jack Martin
Jack Martin  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:46
Portuguese to English
Oct 8, 2018

Hi, I live in Brazil, and have recently been doing some work for a Spanish agency, who have requested a CERTIFICATE OF TAX RESIDENCE IN BRAZIL, otherwise they will flat charge me 24% of all earnings before sending me the money.
The process of getting this certificate is driving me crazy, as most things bureaucratic do in Brazil, but I am struggling to get to the end of this particular process. The Receita Federal website has no information whatsoever, but I found the form I needed, and e
... See more
Hi, I live in Brazil, and have recently been doing some work for a Spanish agency, who have requested a CERTIFICATE OF TAX RESIDENCE IN BRAZIL, otherwise they will flat charge me 24% of all earnings before sending me the money.
The process of getting this certificate is driving me crazy, as most things bureaucratic do in Brazil, but I am struggling to get to the end of this particular process. The Receita Federal website has no information whatsoever, but I found the form I needed, and even found one blog by a translator and thought i had solved it, and took the form to the Receita Federal only to get it back today, and it wasn't processed due to errors completing it.
The problem lies with the field for GROSS AMOUNT and TAX WITHHELD OR TO BE WITHHELD AT SOURCE. I had read from the blog that putting 'A definir" was the way to go, and the form could be used for a year. But the returned form says I need to declare a value. The problem lies with the fact I have no idea how much more work and how frequently I will do work with the agency, and I can't be going through this process every time I want to get paid for a job..

Has anybody done this before? Or know how to get around this issue? Ideas/Help much appreciated.

Thanks

The form I am completing is found here:

http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/formularios/imposto-de-renda-pessoa-fisica-e-pessoa-juridica/dupla-tributacao-da-renda/anexo_i-1.doc/view
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi, Jack! Oct 9, 2018

I’m not Brazilian and I’ve never been a fiscal resident in Brazil, but some of my clients have required this certificate. I had no difficulty getting it from the tax authorities without mentioning any value, it just said that “the recipient is a fiscal resident of (country) and the recipient regularly reports his income as required, the most recent income tax return filed being for the year XXX”. Hope this helps... Good luck!

Jack Martin
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply Teresa, Oct 9, 2018

you make it sound so easy! Unfortunately I haven't found that to be true. I have been in person to the tax authorities, who barely seem to know what this form is, and submitted the form for me, only for it to come back...

I am really interested in knowing, how you got it.. did you complete the form I linked to in my post?

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’m not Brazilian and I’ve never been a fiscal resident in Brazil, but some of my clients have required this certificate. I had no difficulty getting it from the tax authorities without mentioning any value, it just said that “the recipient is a fiscal resident of (country) and the recipient regularly reports his income as required, the most recent income tax return filed being for the year XXX”. Hope this helps... Good luck!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jack Oct 9, 2018

jacktwo wrote:

you make it sound so easy! Unfortunately I haven't found that to be true. I have been in person to the tax authorities, who barely seem to know what this form is, and submitted the form for me, only for it to come back...

I am really interested in knowing, how you got it.. did you complete the form I linked to in my post?

Teresa Borges wrote:

I lived in Belgium for several years and there it was quite easy to get the certificate. The first time I had to go to the tax authority office and fill a form, but then every year I asked the certificate by email and it was sent directly to me by snail nail. I moved back to Portugal some years ago and I must say that I feared that it would be much more difficult here but to my surprise it wasn't. Over the years I had two different documents: a form similar to yours and a simple declaration saying that I’m a fiscal resident, etc., etc. The funny thing is that I’m still working for those clients but they seem to have forgotten this requirement! If you understand any French I could scan the documents and email them to you…

Viviane Marx
Viviane Marx  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:46
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Couldn't be this? Oct 10, 2018

Would the Spanish customer be satisfied with this?

http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/interface/lista-de-servicos/cadastros/cnpj/comprovante-de-inscricao-e-situacao-cadastral-cnpj

It's just a receipt you pay your taxes in Brazil.
Maybe it's easier!
Good luck!

Jack Martin
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
unforunately not Oct 10, 2018

They are quite specific

"we would also need the Certificate of Fiscal Residence. This Certificate is required by law in order to avoid the double taxation existing between your country and Spain. It is specifically delivered by your local tax office within the meaning of the Convention on Double Taxation between our two countries. Without it, we would have to withhold a certain % of the total amount of your invoices, and you would be able to have it back in the Income Tax Refund fr
... See more
They are quite specific

"we would also need the Certificate of Fiscal Residence. This Certificate is required by law in order to avoid the double taxation existing between your country and Spain. It is specifically delivered by your local tax office within the meaning of the Convention on Double Taxation between our two countries. Without it, we would have to withhold a certain % of the total amount of your invoices, and you would be able to have it back in the Income Tax Refund from your country. "

And they even sent me an image of the form, which is the same as the one I linked to. I'm planning on going tomorrow and have just put in the value I am owed thus far... and fingers crossed it gets processed this time! - Unfortunately it seems that neither the people who work at the Receita Federal know what needs to be done/how to complete the form, as the women who helped me there, specifically told me I didn't need to complete one section, and suprise suprise the form came back asking me to complete that section
Collapse

Loreta Saddi
Loreta Saddi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Try to find an accountant to help you Oct 10, 2018

Receita Federal may give you problems. The only way to solve this is to get an accountant who is familiar with the RF to help you out. I have used this one a couple of times. They speak English. Good luck!

Accountant
Paulo Lorenzeti
Datacont
11 3842-6003

Fernando Roa
Fernando Roa
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
current how to Jan 31, 2022

- create account in gov.br
- go to https://www3.cav.receita.fazenda.gov.br/eprocessocontribuinte/tela_inicial
- click on solicitar serviço via processo digital
- create request
- Remember:
Importante: Ao solicitar o serviço, será cadastrado o processo digital. Somente o cadastramento do processo NÃO é suficiente para que o servi
... See more
- create account in gov.br
- go to https://www3.cav.receita.fazenda.gov.br/eprocessocontribuinte/tela_inicial
- click on solicitar serviço via processo digital
- create request
- Remember:
Importante: Ao solicitar o serviço, será cadastrado o processo digital. Somente o cadastramento do processo NÃO é suficiente para que o serviço seja atendido. O interessado deverá, necessariamente, enviar a solicitação de juntada para esse processo, incluindo o requerimento do serviço, que descreve a solicitação, e a documentação exigida para análise.
Para cada serviço a ser solicitado, deverá ser cadastrado um processo, ao qual deverá ser juntado o requerimento do serviço e a documentação exigida para análise.
Caso não seja enviada a solicitação de juntada contendo o requerimento do serviço e os documentos exigidos em até 3 (três) dias úteis do cadastramento do processo, este processo será excluído.
O requerimento será indeferido caso os documentos incluídos na solicitação de juntada não guardem relação de pertinência com o serviço solicitado.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP WITH CERTIFICATE OF TAX RESIDENCE IN BRAZIL

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »