UK income tax
Thread poster: RosaT
RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:22
Apr 5, 2003

Dear all,

Here is a question for those of you freelancing in the UK.

I will be completing my first self-assessment in this country and I am not familiar with the amounts you usually have to pay for income tax.

My question is basically how much money (what percentage) of my earnings should I be keeping aside for income taxes?

I understand this varies and expenditure has to be taken into account, but a rough percen
... See more
Dear all,

Here is a question for those of you freelancing in the UK.

I will be completing my first self-assessment in this country and I am not familiar with the amounts you usually have to pay for income tax.

My question is basically how much money (what percentage) of my earnings should I be keeping aside for income taxes?

I understand this varies and expenditure has to be taken into account, but a rough percentage figure would do, as I have heard different things (about 20%, 25%, etc)

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards.
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:22
Georgian to English
+ ...
rough % from a non expert Apr 5, 2003

I believe 25% is the very rough estimate that people tend to talk about, to include income tax and national insurance (which is really a tax). The income tax element would be less.

Tax and fiscal experts please correct me...

Looking since - I think there\'s a better answer to this than mine in \"Being Independent\" (in answer to the same question)!

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-06 13:21]

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:22
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 7, 2003

Many thanks for your feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK income tax

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »