Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
Spanish to English
Oct 8, 2013

Hello everybody.
I am looking for some advice please.
Having got my results back for my DPSI exam, I am having to re-take the oral consec/ simultaneous exam again, but with nobody to practice with what is the best way to practice this by ones self- any advice appreciated.

Diana Kozenitzky Andrés
Diana Kozenitzky Andrés  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
in my opinion Oct 9, 2013

...the best way to practise simultaneous interpreting is going to YouTube and shadowing the video, any short video.
or sight translating, even translating can be helpful.
I do consecutive interpretation over the pone for a company and that is the only way I know practise!

Hope I helped at least a Little bit, and maybe a Little late too

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Oct 10, 2013

never too late

I found a website via a forum called speechpool.net

very good website.

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 17:10
English to Latvian
+ ...
Tips Oct 21, 2013

I don't know your background, you may have access to the Speech Repository of the EC to practise simul speeches. For consec (again, I don't know what you are required to do there) you may want to train your note taking.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
help and advice needed Oct 22, 2013

mjbjosh wrote:

I don't know your background, you may have access to the Speech Repository of the EC to practise simul speeches. For consec (again, I don't know what you are required to do there) you may want to train your note taking.

I need medical speeches- I dont think that the EC have that??

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
Local time: 17:10
English to Latvian
+ ...
Medical? Oct 22, 2013

luke mersh wrote:

mjbjosh wrote:

What source language? I will look into it, but most certainly I can't give you access to the site if you don't already have it. Like I said, if you study at a recognized university, you should have the access credentials. I know i did when i studied.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
help and advice needed Oct 23, 2013

mjbjosh wrote:

luke mersh wrote:

mjbjosh wrote:

What source language? I will look into it, but most certainly I can't give you access to the site if you don't already have it. Like I said, if you study at a recognized university, you should have the access credentials. I know i did when i studied.

thank you for replying.
my source language is English and Target language is Spanish.
I have already completed a course and am preparing to re-sit some parts of the exam i didnt pass.
in particular the oral part( consec and whispered(simultaneous) interpreting)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help and advice needed.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »