Thread poster: Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi
Martina Rotondi  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 09:57
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2013

I was interpreting in a meeting and my client said: ""Questa è una violazione della nostra politica dei prezzi! Dovete smetterla di vendere all'ASTA." So I started translating to the English speaking man , and while one half of my brain was busy with the converting/talking process (This is considered to be a violation of our price policy. You have to..), this is what was going on in the other half:

ASTA ASTA ASTA OH NO WHAT’S ASTA IN ENGLISH OH MYYYYY

And then, both
... See more
I was interpreting in a meeting and my client said: ""Questa è una violazione della nostra politica dei prezzi! Dovete smetterla di vendere all'ASTA." So I started translating to the English speaking man , and while one half of my brain was busy with the converting/talking process (This is considered to be a violation of our price policy. You have to..), this is what was going on in the other half:

ASTA ASTA ASTA OH NO WHAT’S ASTA IN ENGLISH OH MYYYYY

And then, both parts of my brain came together exactly when needed, right at the end of the sentence... giving me the world "AUCTION"

Does this happen to you too?It has happened to me many times... seems almost MAGIC =P

I would like to read books about things like that...I think it's sooo interesting!
Collapse

Alexander C. Thomson
Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Jun 5, 2013

Absolutely, itʼs wonderful what the brain can do in the pressure of an interpreting situation. It does go to show that we retain and recall our vocabulary in strands of context (for many of us, primarily aural context) and not as disembodied items on some kind of neural list! In your case here, I would say (not that Iʼm an authority on the brain) that this is prima facie evidence that we donʼt store vocab as ‘asta=auction’ but as language/dialect/sociolect sets mapped on top... See more
Absolutely, itʼs wonderful what the brain can do in the pressure of an interpreting situation. It does go to show that we retain and recall our vocabulary in strands of context (for many of us, primarily aural context) and not as disembodied items on some kind of neural list! In your case here, I would say (not that Iʼm an authority on the brain) that this is prima facie evidence that we donʼt store vocab as ‘asta=auction’ but as language/dialect/sociolect sets mapped on top of each other in wonderfully complex ways, which the brain can shuffle around.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brain&Interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »