polskiexpert
polskiexpert
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:49
Member (2010)
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2009

After completion of face-to-face interpreting, the English speaking officer gave me quite average marks (for monitoring purposes)
The question here: do you intervene and question their decision or just leave it and discuss that with your agency/client? Is it a trend that evaluation forms are often neglected by officers?

Thanks for your comments!

ShaniinParis
ShaniinParis
France
Local time: 13:49
Japanese to French
+ ...
It depends on the nationality of the client Jul 23, 2009

In my language combination I work mainly for French and Japanese clients, but I work a lot in JPFR for American clients, too.

In my experience, the Japanese will give direct feedback only when the interpretation was very good. If it was average to bad, they will say nothing and never call you back. Fair enough.

French clients will often compliment when it was good, and be honest when it was bad. They do not shy away from saying it to your face!

Americans
... See more
In my language combination I work mainly for French and Japanese clients, but I work a lot in JPFR for American clients, too.

In my experience, the Japanese will give direct feedback only when the interpretation was very good. If it was average to bad, they will say nothing and never call you back. Fair enough.

French clients will often compliment when it was good, and be honest when it was bad. They do not shy away from saying it to your face!

Americans are harder to "read". They will just say nothing, good or bad, and not fill out the evaluation form. While the main purpose of feedback is to give us hints as to how we can improve our performance, asking for feedback is for them the same as fishing for compliments. That's my impression anyway.

Again, this is just my experience, in my language combination.
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feedback Jul 23, 2009

Was it the NRPSI form? For the Police?

I usually leave it with an SAE so that they don't feel any pressure and, to tell the truth, it's almost always returned and I've never had negative or neutral comments - touch wood!

Was this your first assignment? Don't forget, you don't need to return all your feedback forms, just enough evidence of a minimum of 10 hours interpreting for the year, and even this can be proved via claim forms.

Don't worry, I'm sure yo
... See more
Was it the NRPSI form? For the Police?

I usually leave it with an SAE so that they don't feel any pressure and, to tell the truth, it's almost always returned and I've never had negative or neutral comments - touch wood!

Was this your first assignment? Don't forget, you don't need to return all your feedback forms, just enough evidence of a minimum of 10 hours interpreting for the year, and even this can be proved via claim forms.

Don't worry, I'm sure you were more than competent. I've even had judges thinking they knew more Italian than me and were iffy when I've had to explain what has been said as opposed to what they thought was being said!

Oh and no, I wouldn't question it. It could cause problems in the future.

Hope this helps.

Suzi
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
average marks Jul 23, 2009

Why do you feel you have to "do something about" average marks?
Do you think you are so divine that no one in their right mind can consider your performance on one day to have been average?
Do you think there is a way of proving after the fact that you were in fact a lot better than average? Do you think there is a point?

The only person I would possibly take this up is the one who wrote the evaluation. Ask what mistakes they thought to have found, what they didn't like
... See more
Why do you feel you have to "do something about" average marks?
Do you think you are so divine that no one in their right mind can consider your performance on one day to have been average?
Do you think there is a way of proving after the fact that you were in fact a lot better than average? Do you think there is a point?

The only person I would possibly take this up is the one who wrote the evaluation. Ask what mistakes they thought to have found, what they didn't like etc. Otherwise, move on. I myself never really attached much importance to others' opinions about my performance, positive or negative.

[Edited at 2009-07-23 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

polskiexpert
polskiexpert
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
monitoring Jul 23, 2009

HI there

Thanks for your comment.

It was not the NRPSI form but an evaluation sheet for the local council.

I was just surprised to see the officer giving me poor marks... (it was not my first assignment at all and in fact I did quite a good job;)

Well perhaps he might have had a bad day or simply hates monitoring parts.

Any other comments?

thanks

M

Kroz Wado
Kroz Wado
Japan
Local time: 20:49
Japanese to English
average work - average mark? Jul 27, 2009

It's all about marking scales. If you give out high marks to everyone then what do you give the really good people on their best days?

I wouldn't sweat it though - back at university giving lecturer feedback we'd all just tick down the middle for routine lectures because it was less effort and thought. Who wants more paperwork?

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Japanese feedback Jul 30, 2009

ShaniinParis wrote:

Yes, the Japanese are very much like that... It's like they consider 'average' to be taken for granted, and only extreme and surprising levels of perfection will produce a compliment from them.

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
The officer has to give his/her genuine opinion Jul 30, 2009

Hi
I often get comments or "feedback" on agency forms from officers/doctors/nurses/whoever.

Just accept what they have said and move on. If it is one "duff" one among many good ones, then just accept it. Nobody is perfect.

Liz Askew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on interpreter's work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »