Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You're too kind Jan 10, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:
...a huge concession for a large job.

That certainly is - I think you were being very generous. I would not offer a discount and I might even quote them a higher rate than normal, because an enormous project would impede my ability to deal with orders from regular clients. Either that or I would insist on a forgiving deadline that would allow me to continue to service loyal customers. If neither were possible, I would decline.

In any case, I would not spend much time on a quote requested out of the blue from a client I did not know, unless I happened to be bored.

I usually provide a quick character count, my rate per character, a canned explanation of situations in which extra charges would be imposed (need to deal with graphical material, etc.), a canned explanation of my daily capacity and the need to maintain some availability for existing clients, and a rough deadline based on this.

I aim to be helpful without committing resources until the other party agrees to my rate, and even then I would be cautious. There are just too many agencies of the kind you describe, which ultimately cannot be considered serious outfits if they are knowingly using the kind of reviewer you describe.

Dan

Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Rates for Japanese-to English in Ireland

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »