Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which CAT tool offers the best (fast, accurate, friendly, etc.) official support in your experience?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 19:42
Člen (2007)
španělština -> angličtina
MateCat May 18, 2022

Simple, intuitive, good tech support (which is rarely necessary) and free.

Justin Peterson
Španělsko
Člen (2007)
False dichotomy May 18, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

kind of reminds me of people on bass guitar forums who would talk about pedals, amps, humbuckers and other technical stuff all day... I had the feeling that a good number of them didn't even know the notes on the fretboard, let alone playing the major and minor scales, but they loved their pedals, and seemed to know every minute detail and technicality in a pickup...
It seems to me like some people are far more interested in CAT tools than the translation itself.

+++

Yeah, what kind of craftsman has any interest in his tools, anyway? Weirdos ; )

The fact that people know about and are interested in using CAT tools does not mean they are not expert translators dedicated to their craft.

Conversely, I have noted that there is a certain holier-than-thou attitude on proz adopted by certain translators who believe their disdain for CAT tools is evidence of their professional superiority.

By this logic, serious farmers are still using horses and plows.

Want to tut-tut them? Good luck with that.

Ventnai
Stepan Konev
Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Ruská federace
Local time: 20:42
angličtina -> ruština
If you mean Smartcat May 18, 2022

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic wrote:
I’m happy with Trados 2021, but would willingly try ABBYY, if only this CAT tool was available in my language pairs (primarily Slavic languages).
It supports Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, etc.2022-05-18_193602

[Edited at 2022-05-18 16:37 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgie
Člen (2020)
francouzština -> nizozemština
+ ...
Right. May 18, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:

Conversely, I have noted that there is a certain holier-than-thou attitude on proz adopted by certain translators who believe their disdain for CAT tools is evidence of their professional superiority.

Indeed. I even noticed a person who appears to make a habit of putting himself in the sunlight by putting away colleagues as inferior because they have another approach to the business. It reminds me of revisers that deliberately and wrongfully kind of rewrite a translation to prove that the translator has done a bad job. It's amateur and unprofessional behaviour and it never pays off in the long term.

I mean, you can say in a hundred different ways you're an excellent translator, but eventually the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Philippe Locquet
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Ruská federace
angličtina -> ruština
Memsource May 18, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I even noticed a person who appears to make a habit of putting himself in the sunlight by putting away colleagues as inferior because they have another approach to the business.
Yeah, and they like to say "I am a seasoned translator. No, I don't have any sample translation in my portfolio, but I am professional. Professional translators don't need no tools".
Returning to the original question, in my opinion, Memsource support team is the most responsive and efficient: not only they reply immediately, but I even could make them fix a bug in their software after I told them what was wrong.

[Edited at 2022-05-18 17:14 GMT]

expressisverbis

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Turecko
Člen
angličtina -> turečtina
Flaw in the analogy May 18, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:

The fact that people know about and are interested in using CAT tools does not mean they are not expert translators dedicated to their craft.

I have nothing against CAT tools. I'm a Trados user myself. In fact my brain is so wired to translate stuff in segments that I probably couldn't work on a Word file if my life depended on it.
I didn't realize a parallel could be drawn from my post between one's interest in CAT tools and their competence as a translator. But you are right, it does have the potential to be interpreted that way.. That wasn't my intention at all, apologies for the misunderstanding.
It's just that it seems like for some people CAT tools have become an end in itself, rather than a means to an end, if you know what I mean? At the end of the day, it's just a tool that helps you earn money, it's not something that defines your profession. But, of course, to each their own.
As for the "holier-than-thou attitude", you may have a point there.

Justin Peterson
expressisverbis
Liena Vijupe

Justin Peterson
Španělsko
Člen (2007)
Thanks for your thoughtful and diplomatic reply ... really May 18, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Justin Peterson wrote:

I have nothing against CAT tools. I'm a Trados user myself. In fact my brain is so wired to translate stuff in segments that I probably couldn't work on a Word file if my life depended on it.
I didn't realize a parallel could be drawn from my post between one's interest in CAT tools and their competence as a translator. But you are right, it does have the potential to be interpreted that way.. That wasn't my intention at all, apologies for the misunderstanding.
It's just that it seems like for some people CAT tools have become an end in itself, rather than a means to an end, if you know what I mean? At the end of the day, it's just a tool that helps you earn money, it's not something that defines your profession. But, of course, to each their own.
As for the "holier-than-thou attitude", you may have a point there.

+++

Maybe I was a bit harsh. I appreciate your civil response. Really. I did jump to the conclusion that you were blasting CAT tools. Peace.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
BAT May 18, 2022

I rely on BAT. Brain-Assisted Translation. Fatigue sometimes slows things down a bit, but otherwise it's been reliable ever since I started translating.

Jennifer Levey
Liena Vijupe
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
polishedwords
Rachel Fell
Irving Reyes

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Velká Británie
Člen (2011)
švédština -> angličtina
+ ...
Miaow May 19, 2022

Justin Peterson wrote:

Disdain for CAT tools is not evidence of superiority, but is certainly consistent with it.

CAT tools are great for texts requiring a mechanical approach. But at the high end where a more creative approach is required, CAT is a hindrance.

Given that most agencies demand CAT tools and discounts these days, those who work without them must also offer something special to get work at all...

On topic: I have found that Wordfast provide better support than Trados used to. I also need less support.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugalsko
Local time: 18:42
Člen (2015)
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
CATs May 19, 2022

Answering the question:

I can't say what is the best CAT tool official support, because I only asked for support with Trados and Logiterm a few times, but I can say I was quite happy with both their help.

Commenting an answer that I often see on the forums:

I have said on a MT thread that I respect my colleagues who work with and without translation tools, and I believe each of them has a point when they are "for or against" the use of these tools.
B
... See more
Answering the question:

I can't say what is the best CAT tool official support, because I only asked for support with Trados and Logiterm a few times, but I can say I was quite happy with both their help.

Commenting an answer that I often see on the forums:

I have said on a MT thread that I respect my colleagues who work with and without translation tools, and I believe each of them has a point when they are "for or against" the use of these tools.
But personally, I can't stand anymore that "brain-assisted translation" answer, as if translators who use CAT tools for their work only rely on machines and think with their a**** instead of their brains.
Well, I work with CAT - Cerebrum-Assisted Translation combined with CAT - Computer-Assisted Translation. Yes, everyone works with their largest part of the brain, that controls speech, thought, emotions, reading, writing, and learning, and other functions, otherwise we wouldn't be here discussing ad infinitum the gender of angels. Let's provide reasonable facts, opinions and useful information; it can help new and old translators, me including.

I also rely on this CAT:

IMG_20220504_112115_resized_20220519_012920017
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Stepan Konev
Mr. Satan (X)

Stepan Konev
Ruská federace
angličtina -> ruština
Take it easy May 19, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
I can't stand anymore that "brain-assisted translation" answer, as if translators who use CAT tools for their work only rely on machines and think with their a**** instead of their brains.
A "BAT-reply" translates to "I am not trained to drive a plough tractor, but I am strong and seasoned enough to pull the plough by myself".

expressisverbis

Irving Reyes
Irving Reyes  Identity Verified
Dominikánská republika
Local time: 13:42
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
OmegaT May 19, 2022

Yet again, no one seems to use OmegaT here. Lol

Mr. Satan (X)
Daniel Fernandes

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
angličtina -> indonéština
I do May 19, 2022

Irving Reyes wrote:

Yet again, no one seems to use OmegaT here. Lol

I have it installed along with CafeTran and Swordfish. I just don't have any preference at the meowment. Help desk support is also irrelevant to me, for the reason I've already mentioned before.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugalsko
Local time: 18:42
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
CAT pair May 20, 2022

Hi all,

It makes sense that very few people will have tried all CATs hotlines. But it happens often that we have a main CAT that we like and a secondary CAT that we are forced to have to work with some other clients. Hence, many CAT users will be able to compare between at least 2 (if they ever contacted both hotlines).
I stuck to desktop CATs for this poll, so web-based are not mentioned.
Thanks to all for participating! I find the results very interesting! It would be
... See more
Hi all,

It makes sense that very few people will have tried all CATs hotlines. But it happens often that we have a main CAT that we like and a secondary CAT that we are forced to have to work with some other clients. Hence, many CAT users will be able to compare between at least 2 (if they ever contacted both hotlines).
I stuck to desktop CATs for this poll, so web-based are not mentioned.
Thanks to all for participating! I find the results very interesting! It would be great if there was a CAT that never needed a hotline, but we're not there yet I suppose

Be well
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which CAT tool offers the best (fast, accurate, friendly, etc.) official support in your experience?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »