Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:01
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 15, 2023

I've just changed the periode in an NDA from two years to one year. That's the normal time. Two years is actually DOUBLE the period.

Mako Fabris

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
So what you’re saying is… Mar 15, 2023

… two years is twice as much as one year?

You learn something new every day😂

Personally I wouldn’t disclose confidential information ever. Why should it be limited to one year? What have you to gain from halving the period from two years to one year? (Hope I got my maths right there😉)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nikolay Novitskiy
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I asked Google Mar 15, 2023

I asked Google what is the usual duration of non-disclosure agreements, and the periods that came up in the search results are:
2-3 years
1-10 years
1-5 years
1, 2 or 5 years
3-5 years
3 or 5 years
Chat GPT was no good... just weasel words, somewhat customized for each profession.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1 year is even normal for F1 top jobs Mar 15, 2023

Somebody on Proz.com told me once also that it is usually 1 year, and that did ring a bell:
in Formula 1 even 1 year is usual for top jobs, and they're in a highly competitive environment.

I'm willing to fully agree that a search on Google might give you the anwers you mentioned, but that doesn't mean it are correct answers. Google tells you what's on the internet (basically that's the same thing ChatGPT is trained with, but that treats content even worse), but that doesn't me
... See more
Somebody on Proz.com told me once also that it is usually 1 year, and that did ring a bell:
in Formula 1 even 1 year is usual for top jobs, and they're in a highly competitive environment.

I'm willing to fully agree that a search on Google might give you the anwers you mentioned, but that doesn't mean it are correct answers. Google tells you what's on the internet (basically that's the same thing ChatGPT is trained with, but that treats content even worse), but that doesn't mean you have to accept it.
Don't forget that an AI trained on Twitter turned racist in less than 24 hours.

Also Chat GPT is NOT an encyclopediae of some sort, it's only capable of turning out correct language. As it says itself: it's a language modell. It's capable of REACTING to imput with correct LANGUAGE, not necessarily correct content.

[Edited at 2023-03-15 15:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-15 15:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-15 15:31 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
English to French
+ ...
there is not such a thing as "normal time"... Mar 15, 2023

... unless provided by law.

A contract, such as a NDA, for example, can be valid for any number of years, as long as the parties to it agree.

expressisverbis
Josep Vives (X)
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
philgoddard

Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Usual NDA Period? Hmm Mar 15, 2023

I would dare say most of the NDAs I have signed over the years were all 5 years long.

It's not a big deal if you think about it -an NDA is all about keeping information private, so they are usually "built to last", even after termination.

expressisverbis

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment plays a role, country plays a role Mar 15, 2023

There are huge differences from country to country.
In Europe the laws are sometimes more strict than in the US, sometimes less.
Also: I was comparing with top F1 jobs. Those people have top salaries. If they can settle for 1 year, I don't see why translators should settle for less interesting contracts, considering the MUCH lower paygrade.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
F1? Mar 15, 2023

Why comparing translators to F1 drivers? We have nothing in common! One of my daughters is a big fan of F1 drivers (Max Verstappen) and she never misses a race. I’m sure she will find this laugh-out-loud funny…

Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:01
English to Turkish
Life doesn't start and stop at your convenience! Mar 16, 2023

You can't just pick and choose the length of NDAs as you like. NDAs are serious legal documents that contain legally binding provisions, the violation of which may very well land you in prison. It doesn't matter where you're located. You could be extradited, tried and sentenced to jail or worse...
We see that there is a good deal of confusion when it comes to the translators' NDAs. People here are relying on Chat GPT for legal advice, instead of seeking help from a competent legal advisor.
... See more
You can't just pick and choose the length of NDAs as you like. NDAs are serious legal documents that contain legally binding provisions, the violation of which may very well land you in prison. It doesn't matter where you're located. You could be extradited, tried and sentenced to jail or worse...
We see that there is a good deal of confusion when it comes to the translators' NDAs. People here are relying on Chat GPT for legal advice, instead of seeking help from a competent legal advisor.
At Keki & Associates, we specialize in translator NDAs and we have a proven track record in helping translators dodge hefty fines, lengthy jail sentences and, in one occasion, death sentence (in a very nasty part of the world).
For a modest fee of $699 per hour, we handle all of your NDAs and legal formalities, put your mind at rest and let you concentrate on what you do best - translating.
Call us today for a free and non-binding consultation with one of our experts. We'll only need your bank account details, password and answers to your security questions, in short the personal data that we need to know as per the GDPR regulations to be able to provide you with our services and transfer the monies into our account.
Visit our website, like on us on Tiktok, watch our webinar here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9biM_ZfIdo
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Ana Maria Bustos K.
Rachel Waddington
Philip Lees
Kay Denney

Ana Maria Bustos K.
Ana Maria Bustos K.  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I completely agree with Baran Keki Mar 16, 2023

[quote]Baran Keki wrote:

At Keki & Associates, we specialize in translator NDAs and we have a proven track record in helping translators dodge hefty fines, lengthy jail sentences and, in one occasion, death sentence (in a very nasty part of the world).
For a modest fee of $699 per hour, we handle all of your NDAs and legal formalities, put your mind at rest and let you concentrate on what you do best - translating.
Call us today for a free and non-binding consultation with one of our experts. We'll only need your bank account details, password and answers to your security questions, in short the personal data that we need to know as per the GDPR regulations to be able to provide you with our services and transfer the monies into our account.
Visit our website, like on us on Tiktok, watch our webinar here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9biM_ZfIdo

[I completely agree with you.

That is a really funny video you posted, but what I like the most are your legal fees that are so low!

Last year and this year I was contacted by two people offering me jobs out of the blue, without even knowing me.

The first person sent me such a long NDA, over 8 or 10 pages, I read it and many clauses sounded like a scam to me. I asked for time to review it and took a while to send it back, not signed yet, but full of comments on the clauses stating that in case of any difficulty, I would be sued, I would be judged under Croatian and UK laws, so this person was very surprised because he never thought I would be so detailed. I even sent him a blank 2-page NDA, simple and concise and told him that this was what was used to contract translation or linguistic validation services.

Finally, he changed a few things and was convincing me to sign this NDA, and to send him my bank details, my RUT, etc. I did it with a lot of reluctance and with my intuition telling me "no, don't sign it, this person has been spying on you in all your social networks and asking you why you have 2 Linkedin accounts open, why this or that, and so on and so forth."

I sent it to him and immediately regretted it. We didn't talk anymore and suddenly, the only day I didn't connect to my email and took the day off, he calls me by Whatsapp asking me why I'm not connected.... I got mad, but did not tell him. I told him that this was a family day and I cut him off, then I blocked him and according to what he told me later it was to offer me a job, that he would never make me pay the bank costs of sending transfers, that he would pay me what I asked for if I worked with him...he even mentioned a company I worked for; in short, everything led me to convince myself that it could not be and I did not want to be around a controlling person and constantly spying on everything I did.

Then yet another character sent me a 12 page NDA that I still haven't finished reviewing, nor will I ever. The first one gave me a huge distrust and the second one, by rebound, gave me the same.]

Baran Keki

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dat is juist de kwestie Mar 16, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Why comparing translators to F1 drivers? We have nothing in common! One of my daughters is a big fan of F1 drivers (Max Verstappen) and she never misses a race. I’m sure she will find this laugh-out-loud funny…

Maar dat is het 'm net: de topfuncties in de F1 hebben heel veel belangrijke bedrijfskennis waardoor een team zich kan teweerstellen. En zelfs zij moeten maar één jaar "aan de kant staan". Waarom zouden wij als vertalers het dan langer moeten doen, terwijl we juist niét een topfunctie binnen het team hebben?
Ik vind de vergelijking helemaal niet mank gaan, want de vraag is hoe gevaarlijk het voor je voormalige opdrachtgever is als je je kennis meeneemt naar iemand anders. En dat is in ons geval veel minder het geval dan voor een topontwerper zoals Adrian Newey.
(ik weet ook wel wat af van F1, het is daardoor dat het me op een bepaald moment opviel, dat wij als vertalers eigenlijk aan strengere normen moeten voldoen dan de top van de F1-teams)

Bovendien: waar blijf je als zelfstandige (of zzp'er) met zulke voorwaarden? Je kunt jezelf toch niet zomaar buiten spel laten zetten?

[Edited at 2023-03-16 20:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-16 20:15 GMT]

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I completely agree, that's why... Mar 16, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

You can't just pick and choose the length of NDAs as you like. NDAs are serious legal documents that contain legally binding provisions,

I completely agree. That's why I change them if I don't like them. I'm not going to sign a binding contract which I don't like.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I always thought trade secrets never expire in our profession Mar 16, 2023

Peter Motte wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Maar dat is het 'm net: de topfuncties in de F1 hebben heel veel belangrijke bedrijfskennis waardoor een team zich kan teweerstellen. En zelfs zij moeten maar één jaar "aan de kant staan". Waarom zouden wij als vertalers het dan langer moeten doen, terwijl we juist niét een topfunctie binnen het team hebben?
Ik vind de vergelijking helemaal niet mank gaan, want de vraag is hoe gevaarlijk het voor je voormalige opdrachtgever is als je je kennis meeneemt naar iemand anders. En dat is in ons geval veel minder het geval dan voor een topontwerper zoals Adrian Newey.
(ik weet ook wel wat af van F1, het is daardoor dat het me op een bepaald moment opviel, dat wij als vertalers eigenlijk aan strengere normen moeten voldoen dan de top van de F1-teams)

Bovendien: waar blijf je als zelfstandige (of zzp'er) met zulke voorwaarden? Je kunt jezelf toch niet zomaar buiten spel laten zetten?

[Edited at 2023-03-16 20:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-03-16 20:15 GMT]

I am following this thread and while MT can be useful here and I can understand some part of the above, I find it extremely rude to write in a language for other members who don't know or master it, like me... Maybe I'm overly sensitive, and you wanted to make a point?
As for the NDAs, as far as I know, in general, the "standard use" for those documents can range from 1 to 5 years, but this depends on the nature of the business and even market conditions.
In my opinion, if you are an employer or business owner (in translation), it is in your interests to enforce an NDA for as long as possible.
I always thought trade secrets never expire in our profession, but as Ice rightly said, we always learn something new.

[Edited at 2023-03-16 22:43 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Non-disclosure agreement vs. non-compete agreement Mar 17, 2023

I wonder whether people confuse an NDA with a non-compete agreement. As Chris S indicated, an ethical translator will not share privileged information gained during an engagement. Non-compete clauses, on the other hand, usually a specify a term period to prevent professionals from working for a competitor shortly after terminating employment, or in the case of a translator working for an agency, to prevent the translator from stealing a client. I honor an NDA in perpetuity as a matter of course,... See more
I wonder whether people confuse an NDA with a non-compete agreement. As Chris S indicated, an ethical translator will not share privileged information gained during an engagement. Non-compete clauses, on the other hand, usually a specify a term period to prevent professionals from working for a competitor shortly after terminating employment, or in the case of a translator working for an agency, to prevent the translator from stealing a client. I honor an NDA in perpetuity as a matter of course, and am too lazy to steal a client.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Michele Fauble
Mako Fabris
Christine Andersen

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Peter Mar 17, 2023

I lived in Belgium for 30 years and one of my regrets was not learning Flemish…

Baran Keki
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NDA's

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »