Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Iceland
Local time: 23:56
Icelandic to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 12, 2022

Hello!

I made this big translation and after a month I was supposed to get paid and it still didnt happen.
Four days have passed from the accorded payment day. I am sending emails, but only got one answer as they “will verify”.
I am starting to get very upset, thinking they wont pay me.
What to do now?
Has anyone gone through this?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marta Dec 13, 2022

Marta de Mattos Jónsson wrote:
I made this big translation and after a month I was supposed to get paid and it still didn't happen.

Sorry to hear this, Marta. Yes, not getting paid or not getting paid on time is a frequent problem for translators. It's possible that they meant that they will pay within 30 days after they received your invoice, or that they meant that they will pay within 30 days after the last day of the month in which you had completed the translation.

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Lingua 5B

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Marta Dec 13, 2022

Saying that they “will verify” it’s kind of a hopeful answer. Maybe they are just a few days late. Bad payers are usually more likely to ignore any email regarding payment…

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
expressisverbis

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
A phone call Dec 13, 2022

Calling on the phone the company that failed to make a payment on due date usually helps. This method helped me a few times.

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Michael Newton

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Iceland
Icelandic to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 13, 2022

Thank you, guys! Makes me more hopeful! ♥️

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Four days Dec 13, 2022

four days is not much, they are typically late at least 1 week (calling weekends, holidays, logistic reasons, etc.). However, it's good that you reacted after four days allowing enough time for them to check and respond. How were they with emails during the project execution, reactive or slow?

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Iceland
Icelandic to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Active emails Dec 13, 2022

They were active and prompt at answering emails during the project, and always very polite and attentive.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:56
English to Russian
+ ...
They who? Dec 13, 2022

How did this job come about? What do you know about the client?

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Blue Board solution? Dec 13, 2022

Nothing earth-shatering for the time being, as your invoice doesn't seem to be overdue for long.

As a last resort, don't hesitate to post a comment on their Blue Board profile, if they have one. It often helps to unlock the situation. But only as a last resort.

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
expressisverbis

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Better late then never Dec 13, 2022

Marta, as I understood, the payment is 4 days late. Experience has learned me that some agencies, even the good ones, are paying after 2 months, even if they promise to pay within 30 days.

So, I keep calm and wait 2 months before taking action. First I send them a polite request (something must have gone wrong within your administration and if they could please pay me within 5 working days). If that doesn't happen, they receive the same request (less polite, no please anymore), wit
... See more
Marta, as I understood, the payment is 4 days late. Experience has learned me that some agencies, even the good ones, are paying after 2 months, even if they promise to pay within 30 days.

So, I keep calm and wait 2 months before taking action. First I send them a polite request (something must have gone wrong within your administration and if they could please pay me within 5 working days). If that doesn't happen, they receive the same request (less polite, no please anymore), with this difference that I want the due amount to be transferred to my bank account asap (= immediately). If that doesn't work, they receive a mail in which I tell them they leave me no choice but to make use of the different platforms available to us translators. That mostly does the trick.

So, till sofar no worries, be patient, the money will come eventually.

Good tip for the next time you are working with an unknown client, check him out before accepting anything!

[Edited at 2022-12-13 20:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-13 20:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-13 20:38 GMT]
Collapse

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
expressisverbis
Michael Newton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Better late than sorry! Dec 13, 2022

Another tip: I wouldn't even consider taking a large project from a first-time client. Trust is something that builds up over time...

Laurent Di Raimondo
Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Michael Newton

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The contrast… Dec 13, 2022

Marta de Mattos Jónsson wrote:

They were active and prompt at answering emails during the project, and always very polite and attentive.

Doesn’t sound good that they were prompt when they needed you, and not so prompt when you need them.

Others raised a good question: What do you know about this client and their history? It may be their standard modus operandi and preying on beginners…

Marta de Mattos Jónsson

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:56
Greek to English
Disagree Dec 14, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

So, I keep calm and wait 2 months before taking action.

Respectfully, Robert, I disagree with this advice. For what it's worth, if a new client is more than a few days late with payment I send them a brief but polite email asking them why. Then follow up as necessary.

I would never wait as long as two months and I think Marta was right to contact them when she did.

Josephine Cassar
Kevin Fulton
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Philip Dec 14, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

So, I keep calm and wait 2 months before taking action.

Respectfully, Robert, I disagree with this advice. For what it's worth, if a new client is more than a few days late with payment I send them a brief but polite email asking them why. Then follow up as necessary.

I would never wait as long as two months and I think Marta was right to contact them when she did.

There are more roads leading to Rome. I just stated what I (would) do in such a situation.

Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Marta de Mattos Jónsson
Iceland
Icelandic to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answering everyone Dec 14, 2022

The translation company contacted me through Proz. They sent me a message here that reached my email, and from there we discussed the project. I researched them as soon as they sent the first message.
I am lawyer and all my translation services are done after we sign the service contracts. I have a contract with this company that stated payment 30 days after I delivered the translation project.
I know how to proceed legally in Portugal, and I will do so if they dont pay me by Januar
... See more
The translation company contacted me through Proz. They sent me a message here that reached my email, and from there we discussed the project. I researched them as soon as they sent the first message.
I am lawyer and all my translation services are done after we sign the service contracts. I have a contract with this company that stated payment 30 days after I delivered the translation project.
I know how to proceed legally in Portugal, and I will do so if they dont pay me by January. I will wait for the holidays to pass.
Other companies have paid me after 60 days.
I will patiently wait, but according to our contract, they are in breach, and it is very annoying and upsetting.

Thank you all for your answers.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Late payment or no payment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »