My word count is different from client's, should I accept the work?
Thread poster: cherrypick
cherrypick
cherrypick
China
Local time: 21:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 27, 2022

Hi,

My client sent me a file, they say they use a CAT tool to do word count and it is ~2400 Chars, while in Microsoft Word it is ~2700 Chars. To me it is +10% difference. I wonder should I accept the work? Have you had similar experience?

BR,
Ado

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:59
German to Swedish
+ ...
Depends; minimum fee? Nov 27, 2022

Totally depends on the material. If it's a scanned/OCRed PDF with lots of garbage the word counts could certainly differ.
If it's a plain text and this doesn't involve "fuzzies" etc. then I'd go by the Word statistics.

However, the main issue isn't the char count, but: Given what the material looks like, are you being offered a reasonable fee?

If this is chars (and not words), it's a quite short text, and you could consider applying a minimum fee.

Dalia Nour

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Placeables and so on Nov 27, 2022

cherrypick wrote:
Have you had similar experience?

Paul Filkin discussed this issue a decade ago, here, although his post is specific to Trados.

If you're using their CAT tool, probably not an issue.
If you're not using their CAT tool, then it probably is disadvantageous to you.

Dan

Dalia Nour
Stepan Konev

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Discuss with the client Nov 27, 2022

I would tell them about the discrepancy and then ask them why they think this discrepancy exists. They may or may not provide you with a convincing answer. They may also be willing to accept your word-count. Another solution may be for you to charge a slightly higher fee using their word-count. Regardless, the first step is to discuss the issue in an open manner, and then you can make a more informed decision based on your own priorities and assessment of the situation.

Dalia Nour
Christine Andersen
Michael Newton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Josephine Cassar
Tina Vonhof (X)
Joy Lewis

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 28, 2022

I noticed a discrepancy recently with a MemoQ wordcount compared to the Word file. The client breezily assured me that it was because "MemoQ doesn't count numbers, only words". So I told them in that case I wouldn't touch any of the numbers, despite 2 000 needing a comma, and 3,14 needing a decimal point, and then I wouldn't run the QA either, because most of the time it threw up false errors like telling me I had left out the number 2 when the word "twice" sat merrily and even correctly in my ... See more
I noticed a discrepancy recently with a MemoQ wordcount compared to the Word file. The client breezily assured me that it was because "MemoQ doesn't count numbers, only words". So I told them in that case I wouldn't touch any of the numbers, despite 2 000 needing a comma, and 3,14 needing a decimal point, and then I wouldn't run the QA either, because most of the time it threw up false errors like telling me I had left out the number 2 when the word "twice" sat merrily and even correctly in my sentence. They ended up tweaking something so that I was paid without changing the wordcount because otherwise their client would freak out.

Make sure to arm yourself with plenty of information about how you reached your total, and discuss it carefully. Tell them it's not a problem for just this one text but you need to be sure that it won't become something regular, because you are working towards a long-lasting, rewarding business relationship for both parties. If there's a chance of it becoming regular, you hike your usual rate to offset the difference.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Cilian O'Tuama

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Always Nov 28, 2022

cherrypick wrote:
My client sent me a file, they say they use a CAT tool to do a word count and it is ~2400 Chars, while in Microsoft Word it is ~2700 Chars.

In my experience, the client's word count is almost always different from the actual word count, sometimes by as much as 20%. I don't have a problem with accepting the client's word count, as long as the amount of money that I get is reasonable for the amount of work.

Also, note that different word counting systems will count words (or characters, as in your case) differently. And since Asian/Korean text is "foreign" to most CAT tool vendors, you should not be surprised if their support for character counting is primitive.

Here's an interesting article that I found on Google that mentions Trados vs Word counting:
https://davidsmithtranslation.com/articles/how-to-count-chinese-characters/

Dan Lucas wrote:
Paul Filkin discussed this issue a decade ago, here, although his post is specific to Trados.

Note that the word "Trados" in that article refers to Trados 2007 and not to the later versions of Trados, and that the word "Studio" refers to later versions of Trados. The article was written at a time when the company that owned Trados tried to get users to use the word "Trados" only for the older versions of Trados.

[Edited at 2022-11-28 10:37 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Kevin Fulton

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My word count is different from client's, should I accept the work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »