Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Which payment options are now available when working with Russian clients (I am not in Russia)
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:54
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2022

I work mainly for Russian clients. Now, because of the sanctions, my bank cards are blocked and I have no way to access the payments that they send me. Thus, I will no longer be able to work with clients in Russia.

Does anyone know which options are still available? I heard that PayPal is blocked. But is there anything else that's similar? Please let me know if you are aware of any options for sending payments from Russia to Europe or Canada.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:54
English to Russian
Paysend + Wire transfer Mar 10, 2022

You can use Paysend. It allows you to send money for only $2 fee per transfer.
Also you can transfer the money directly to a bank account. In this case you need to know 4 items:
1. Beneficiary’s name
2. Beneficiary’s bank name
3. Beneficiary’s bank SWIFT
4. Beneficiary’s account number
That should suffice.
There 7 banks banned from SWIFT. You can transfer to any other than those 7.

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
0 Mar 10, 2022

Thanks Stepan.

So can clients in Russia use Paysend to send wire transfers that would otherwise be blocked by sanctions? This is what I need to know. I am receiving the payments in USD or EUR.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Not tried myself Mar 10, 2022

I didn't try it because my client transfers the money to my bank account directly, but according to some reports, Paysend works fine so far. The below message reads that a user could successfully transfer the money from Spain to a Russian bank card:275378421_7349853685084592_1265480014850594387_nAlso, I tried to sign up with Paysend this morning and I made it to the final point of their registration procedure. It seems to work for me in Russia. However I don't need to send or receive the money, so I simply did not try it.
I suggest that you first try with a minimum amount like $/€10.00 to check if it works.

Also, you can use the Yandex.Кошелек service (if you know what it is), it still works too.

*The 7 banks banned from SWIFT are: VEB.RF, Rossiya, VTB, Sovkombank, Promsvyazbank, Otkrytie, and Novikombank. All other banks still accept international payments.

[Edited at 2022-03-10 17:36 GMT]

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:54
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Paysend Mar 10, 2022

Stopped working yesterday. Basically, no options if you do not have anyone in Russia who is willing to pay on your behalf.

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
= Mar 10, 2022

Hi Stepan,

*The 7 banks banned from SWIFT are: VEB.RF, Rossiya, VTB, Sovkombank, Promsvyazbank, Otkrytie, and Novikombank. All other banks still accept international payments.

So my bank is not on that list. So it should be working, right?

Actually, it is the other way around. I am not trying to send money to Russia. In fact, I want to find out if clients who are in Russia can send me payments.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Right Mar 11, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:
So my bank is not on that list. So it should be working, right?
Exactly.

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Яндекс.Деньги is now YooMoney? Mar 11, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Also, you can use the Yandex.Кошелек service (if you know what it is), it still works too.

Regarding Yandex, yes I know what it is. I used to have a Yandex.Money card. But it appears that it's been renamed YooMoney.

I checked their website and found the following info:

YooMoney continues working in Russia
Our cards still work in Russian stores and ATMs. However, if you use Apple Pay and Google P
... See more
Hi Stepan,

Regarding Yandex, yes I know what it is. I used to have a Yandex.Money card. But it appears that it's been renamed YooMoney.

I checked their website and found the following info:

YooMoney continues working in Russia
Our cards still work in Russian stores and ATMs. However, if you use Apple Pay and Google Pay, you won't be able to pay.

For now, our cards don't work abroad and on foreign websites. Learn more

So that means that even if I have such a card and clients send payments on it, I will not be able to make use of the payments in my daily life. It appears that no options are left for translators working with Russian clients.
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My bank is not on the list of 7 banned banks Mar 11, 2022

But yesterday I tried to use the card to make a purchase (I'm not in Russia) and it didn't work. It also did not work to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Please note that I am not in Russia but need to be able to receive payments from clients who are located in Russia. Does anyone know if PayPal is still working? Yandex (now YooMoney) states on its website that its cards do not work in other countries, just in Russia, making such a card useless for me.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Never tried that Mar 11, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Actually, it is the other way around. I am not trying to send money to Russia. In fact, I want to find out if clients who are in Russia can send me payments.
Ah, no, I have never tried that. I don't send money from Russia to other countries.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
YooMoney Mar 11, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Does anyone know if PayPal is still working?
No, it doesn't. Everything changes so quickly... Today a friend of mine (he is a translator in Ukraine) received money from his client in Russia via "Yandex.Кошелёк". He used this description, but I think he actually meant YooMoney, right. I can ask him for details tomorrow. Today it is too late.
I think that a direct wire transfer is the last working option now...

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Youmoney Mar 15, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:

But yesterday I tried to use the card to make a purchase (I'm not in Russia) and it didn't work. It also did not work to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Please note that I am not in Russia but need to be able to receive payments from clients who are located in Russia. Does anyone know if PayPal is still working? Yandex (now YooMoney) states on its website that its cards do not work in other countries, just in Russia, making such a card useless for me.

Youmoney did not allow to withdraw money outside Russia, you could send the money to a Russian bank and then withdraw it with the Visa or Master card, this option is now obsolete. Basically without a UnionPay payment card it is practically impossible to withdraw money from there. A client from Novosibirsk told me about perfectmoney, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sarah McDowell
Canada
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Direct wire transfers are not possible Mar 15, 2022

I think that a direct wire transfer is the last working option now...

Direct wire transfers are definitely not possible to make from a Russian bank account to a bank in another country.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Yeap Mar 15, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:
Direct wire transfers are definitely not possible to make from a Russian bank account to a bank in another country.
Right, I meant direct transfers from US to Russia. Until recently it was possible. Today, my US client notified me that they can't transfer USD directly to my account even though my bank still works fine. We found that we can use Payoneer. They send me money to my Pioneer account in USD, then I withdraw that USD amount to my USD bank account. However again, it refers to transfers from US to Payoneer, not the other way round as in your case (from Russia to Payoneer). Probably you can also use Payoneer for outbound transfers, but I don't know that for sure.

[Edited at 2022-03-15 21:00 GMT]

Anastasiya Karpusenko
Anastasiya Karpusenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
SWIFT is still there Mar 15, 2022

Hi Sarah,

No, it's not true. It's still possible to make international bank transfers using SWIFT from Russian bank accounts. I can't say whether it works for all banks (I believe it doesn't), but for unsanctioned ones like Alfa-Bank or Tinkoff it does work. There is a limit of $5,000 per month and the sender will need to attach a document confirming the reason of payment, i.e. an invoice. Just to give an idea, the commission for Tinkoff would be around $15 for transferring the amount of $100.

It seems to be the last option available now... Hope it helps!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which payment options are now available when working with Russian clients (I am not in Russia)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »