Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:18
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 11, 2023

Recently, at least in my language pairs, I have noticed various (non-native) people answering Kudoz questions with what looks like output from ChatGPT or similar bots.
How does Proz plan to address this issue?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-11 21:26 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Claire Bourneton-Gerlach
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Angie Garbarino
Aurélien ARPAZ

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Askers can avoid it Jul 11, 2023

Askers can restrict their questions to natives or users who work in certain languages pairs. If they don't do that, they may get all sorts of unwanted entries.

I don't see how it could be possible for Proz to detect bot output reliably.

Kevin Fulton
Yolanda Broad
Yaotl Altan
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Christine Andersen
expressisverbis

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Detecting bot output Jul 11, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

For example, when someone answers flawlessly in several languages they are not a native speaker of.

Kudoz rules were written in a pre-AI era, maybe they need an update now.

Christopher Schröder
Schtroumpf

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Hmm Jul 11, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

For example, when someone answers flawlessly in several languages they are not a native speaker of.

You don't need to be a native to write well in a language. Some of us may also have some knowledge about languages that are not in our profiles.

Technically, it would be hideously complicated to weed out bot output automatically.

Again, askers can just restrict from whom they want answers.

Jorge Payan
Philippe Locquet

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bots Jul 11, 2023

"write" (= compile texts) in a certain style which is recognisable if you have used some of them.

The question implies aspects beyond whether it's good or bad if people use bots to make points.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
And Jul 11, 2023

The primary purpose of Kudoz is to help the Asker find the correct answer. If someone manages to provide that faster and better with an AI chatbot than a native, then what is wrong with that? The correct term is not less correct just because it was suggested by an AI chatbot.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Philip Lees
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Rita Translator
Philippe Locquet
Recep Kurt

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's implement ChatGPT in Kudoz (or replace it) Jul 11, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The primary purpose of Kudoz is to help the Asker find the correct answer. If someone manages to provide that faster and better with an AI chatbot than a native, then what is wrong with that? The correct term is not less correct just because it was suggested by an AI chatbot.

Kudoz is obsolete, isn't it?

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Recognisable Jul 11, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

"write" (= compile texts) in a certain style which is recognisable if you have used some of them.

Sounds easy, but it isn't once you start programming an application to recognise this reliably in a large number of languages.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Maybe Jul 11, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Kudoz is obsolete, isn't it?

Not completely, but AI can often help faster. As long as people want to use Kudoz, it still serves a purpose.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Should be banned Jul 12, 2023

Using AI on KudoZ to amass points in random language pairs is cheating.

And if it is recognisable to a human, it should be even more recognisable to AI itself.

Then again, if another translator can get the right answer using AI, so could the asker. It’s like these people on KudoZ who can’t/don’t use Google.

I do yearn for a simpler age sometimes.

Lieven Malaise
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
IrinaN
philgoddard
Angie Garbarino

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not obsolete Jul 12, 2023

I'm not supporting AI answers being submitted by people with no knowledge of the language pair. However, as we well know, AI is not always correct, especially when the context is taken into account. Kudoz gives professionals the chance to weigh in on the answers, and these user comments are often very helpful to the translator seeking assistance.

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Victoria Britten

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't like it either Jul 12, 2023

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I'm not supporting AI answers being submitted by people with no knowledge of the language pair. However, as we well know, AI is not always correct, especially when the context is taken into account. Kudoz gives professionals the chance to weigh in on the answers, and these user comments are often very helpful to the translator seeking assistance.

Someone who does this can easily make a fool out of themselves in public, so I don't do it myself and don't think experienced colleagues would do it. I just don't think we need more rules and bans.

Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
expressisverbis

Tomasso
Tomasso  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Neutral Jul 12, 2023

Would like to point out that some questions are never answered, and myself have answered many that would otherwise not be answered, ...Lately i point out that my grasp of most languages is very limited. Openly tell people that you have located a parallel text and are basing your answer on the text.

Questions in Latvian usually go unanswered, Albanian, Finnish, Azerbaijani, Kirghizstani,,,,but for what ever reason some people will attempt, maybe they want to learn?? Should we be g
... See more
Would like to point out that some questions are never answered, and myself have answered many that would otherwise not be answered, ...Lately i point out that my grasp of most languages is very limited. Openly tell people that you have located a parallel text and are basing your answer on the text.

Questions in Latvian usually go unanswered, Albanian, Finnish, Azerbaijani, Kirghizstani,,,,but for what ever reason some people will attempt, maybe they want to learn?? Should we be glad that people want to take on a new language, sticking to the principle that would use phrases such as Parrellel text, Machine Translation, TAO traduction assistee ordinateur, etc.

Have you noticed, seems we are becoming a small group of PAID translators, and we all know each other more or less?
Some us only answer questions to help others, points are not important to me, but lately have been keeping track. Some of us only do on=site live translation, and specific to a region, here in Idaho the languages use a lot of English vocabulary, which is rare in Spain, some regions have a way of speaking that is not widely recognisec elsewhere.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ai Jul 12, 2023

This comment was written by Artificial Intelligence. There is no way to establish whether or not that statement is true.

Angie Garbarino

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to recognize AI output Jul 12, 2023

Recognizing whether a text was written by an AI engine can be challenging as AI language models, such as ChatGPT, are designed to generate human-like text. However, there are a few indicators that can suggest a text was written by an AI:

- Unusual responses: AI models might provide responses that are technically correct but sound unnatural or overly formal. They may also produce answers that lack personal experiences or subjective opinions.

- Inconsistent or inco
... See more
Recognizing whether a text was written by an AI engine can be challenging as AI language models, such as ChatGPT, are designed to generate human-like text. However, there are a few indicators that can suggest a text was written by an AI:

- Unusual responses: AI models might provide responses that are technically correct but sound unnatural or overly formal. They may also produce answers that lack personal experiences or subjective opinions.

- Inconsistent or incorrect information: AI models heavily rely on pre-existing data, and their responses are based on patterns learned during training. They might occasionally provide incorrect or outdated information, contradict themselves, or present inconsistencies.

- Lack of contextual awareness: While AI models excel at generating text, they might sometimes fail to fully understand the context or nuances of a conversation. This can lead to generic or off-topic responses.

- Overuse of certain phrases: AI models might exhibit repetitive patterns, use specific phrases, or rely on templates more frequently than a human would.

- Output length and speed: AI models can generate lengthy and detailed responses quickly, which may be an indication that the text was generated by an AI rather than a human who typically takes more time to compose a similar response.

It's worth noting that AI models like ChatGPT are continually improving, and there are ongoing efforts to make generated text more indistinguishable from human-written text. As a result, these indicators may become less reliable over time.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People answering questions with AI output

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »