Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:00
Danish to English
+ ...
So lucky Jul 17, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Askers can restrict their questions to natives or users who work in certain languages pairs. If they don't do that, they may get all sorts of unwanted entries.

That is not quite true. I have posted a question today, and restricted it to natives only. I got an answer from that same member with tonnes of languages... she is not a PT-PT native.

You're so lucky to get answers from people who are so competent that they are native in 50 languages or whatever the number is.

Joking apart, it seems the restriction doesn't actually restrict. Here is the help information:

2.11 - Can KudoZ askers direct their questions to specific site users?

Yes. When posting a KudoZ question, askers are given the option to restrict their KudoZ questions by 1) profile information (native language, language pair and field) and 2) membership status. If the asker selects the option "Only ProZ.com members may answer" when posting his/her question, the "Answer" button will not be visible to non-members and the following message will show to them:

The asker has directed this question specifically to ProZ.com users who:
... are ProZ.com members (You do not appear to be) Join ProZ.com >

If the asker specifies a restriction connected with native language, level of expertise in the specified language pair or level of expertise in the field, those that do not meet these criteria will be informed of this, but still invited to post an answer:

The asker has directed this question specifically to ProZ.com users who:
... have expressed interest in this pair (You have)
... report a "specialty" level of expertise in the subject field (You have not) [Edit]
... are native speakers of Tonga (Nya) or Nzima (You have not reported that you are) [Edit]
Although you do not meet the criteria, you may suggest a translation if you like

So my suggestion is no solution at all, I'm afraid.

Maybe it's better just to use AI. Google's Bard is now available and does some things better than ChatGPT, not least since the former is connected to the internet and the latter is not. I read that Claude should be even better, but for the time being it's only available in the US and the UK.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bot involved? Jul 17, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

I have posted a question today, and restricted it to natives only. I got an answer from that same member with tonnes of languages... she is not a PT-PT native.
Despite everything, I still managed to smile when I saw the answer because she has no idea what false friends are in Portuguese and French.
AI is useful when it falls into the right hands, if it falls into the hands of opportunists the result is this one.
I can use it for doubts and questions of my own and if I really need it (for example, in case clients can't provide me with an answer), but I would never do it to try to answer colleagues with the sole purpose of collecting points or for whatever reason

The question is also, why an INDIVIDUAL can state to translate to and from HUNDREDS of languages (how long did it take to enter all those combinations, btw?).
The person in question is linked to a translation agency, where having a large number of combinations is common instead.

expressisverbis
Dunia Cusin
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Angie Jul 17, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

In Portuguese Ai is an interjection that expresses pain or joy…

Ai que dolor! (che dolore)

Ai que dor! (PT(pt)...

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Language combinations Jul 17, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

The question is also, why an INDIVIDUAL can state to translate to and from HUNDREDS of languages (how long did it take to enter all those combinations, btw?).
The person in question is linked to a translation agency, where having a large number of combinations is common instead.

Angie mentioned before here that being an agency the language pairs are restricted to 40 if my memory serves me well.
The question is that even if she is asked to restrict that long list, she will still answer Kudoz questions in every language pair she can, so I don't think it's worth alerting the staff or even discussing this matter here.
On the other hand, it is obvious to any translator who values their profession that this person makes serious errors, she does not know grammar, misleads colleagues and even her suggestions are too literal when it comes to highly technical terms that even I myself have difficulty with.
I understand this can't be easy to manage by whoever is responsible, but I believe something should be done because today it's her, tomorrow it will be someone else... and it won't take long to see our grandmas, step-mums, uncles, etc. registering on Proz and translating from/to all the languages in the world.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't fear technology, I fear the use that certain users make of it for their own gain in an unfair, unprofessional and dishonest way.

Thomas T. Frost
Dunia Cusin
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How many languages can you be native in? Jul 18, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

Angie mentioned before here that being an agency the language pairs are restricted to 40 if my memory serves me well.
The question is that even if she is asked to restrict that long list, she will still answer Kudoz questions in every language pair she can, so I don't think it's worth alerting the staff or even discussing this matter here.

I was a bit surprised when I saw how many language combinations you can have as an individual on Proz.
As a bilingual, I know that you can be a native speaker of more than one language, but how many can those actually be? I think 10 would be a reasonable limit, very few people will be native speakers of that many languages.
So my suggestion would be to limit the number of language pairs an individual can have.

I also agree that this is just the beginning of a growing trend.
There's also increasing reaction from peers, adding comments to the AI-generated answers, which helps raise awareness of this behavouir.

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
What the rules say Jul 18, 2023

Site rule 2:

Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play are expected.
Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, whether posting publicly or making direct contact, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated. No action aimed at gaining unfair adv... See more
Site rule 2:

Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play are expected.
Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, whether posting publicly or making direct contact, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated. No action aimed at gaining unfair advantage in KudoZ, the directory or elsewhere, whether taken alone or as a group, will be tolerated.

The rules say nothing about the use of AI, but if a user goes around spamming a large number of Kudoz combinations with low-quality answers in languages they clearly don't master, it would seem fair to report that user and let the site decide what to do about them.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not here Jul 28, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Kudoz is obsolete, isn't it? [/quote]

I still find kudoz useful, and I also still enjoy contributing to it.

Zea_Mays
tabor

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People answering questions with AI output

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »