Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to German
+ ...
Oct 1, 2021

Hi,

You are a university graduate and thinking of becoming a freelance translator?
Then you should first think about further education which you'll definitely need before setting up a business. Besides translation skills you'll need to:

- be able to touch type with 10 fingers and be very computer-savvy
- do your own accounting and know the accounting standards in your country (alternative: employing and paying corresponding professionals)
- learn marke
... See more
Hi,

You are a university graduate and thinking of becoming a freelance translator?
Then you should first think about further education which you'll definitely need before setting up a business. Besides translation skills you'll need to:

- do your own accounting and know the accounting standards in your country (alternative: employing and paying corresponding professionals)
- learn marketing basics
- know how to run/program your own website incl. SEO
- do proper cost calcuation and know average rates for various professions in your country (in order to make sure that enough money remains to be spent after paying office/material costs, taxes, social security contributions, health insurance contributions, pension fund contributions, paying your service providers' invoices, etc.)

Without these skills, it will be very hard for you to earn decent fees!
Unfortunately, these topics are still not part of university curriculums of translation degree courses. But they definitely should.

Best,
Tanja
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
10 fingers? Oct 1, 2021

Correction: type at a short burst rate of ~100 WPM in your target language and own a CAT tool

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Typing with ten fingers Oct 1, 2021

I was already able to type with ten fingers back in high School. Being blind, I had to re-type my exams on a typewriter once I had written them in Braille. Those were the days.

expressisverbis

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Reminds me of a saying Oct 1, 2021

Tanja Tilch wrote:

There's a lot of money to be made in the translation business... Provided you're not a translator!

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tanja Oct 1, 2021

Tanja Tilch wrote:

Really? In fact, I can’t touch type; I don’t do my own accounting; I don’t know how to run/program my own website and yet I have been around for over 30 years and counting...

Jorge Payan
Jennifer Levey
Anton Konashenok
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
An alternative view Oct 1, 2021

Some people will like the topic starter's business coach approach, but personally, I am not very fond of it, so I'll just play an advocatus diaboli and suggest alternatives that I learned over the last three decades of work.

- be able to touch type with 10 fingers

I agree with this one, but it can be learned on the job. For a novice, the bottleneck in the translation workflow is the brain, not the fingers.

be very computer-savvy

Yes.

In most countries, the requisite knowledge of accounting for a translator can be gained within a day or two. After that, the actual accounting work can be automated with cheap (or even free) software. Also, at the very beginning the earnings may simply be below the reporting threshold (though this varies from country to country).

- learn marketing basics

Ask the old translators about marketing and they will tell you that nothing beats the word of mouth, so first and foremost, be a perfectionist, build your reputation, and have good friends.

- know how to run/program your own website...

See above. Having a website won't hurt, but don't count on it too much.

...including SEO

SEO will do precious little without a unique selling proposition (ugh... never thought I would use this term). For a novice, the value of SEO is close to zero, and may even be negative.

- do proper cost calculation and know average rates for various professions in your country (in order to make sure that enough money remains to be spent after paying office/material costs, taxes, social security contributions, health insurance contributions, pension fund contributions, paying your service providers' invoices, etc.)

More importantly, do proper value calculation and don't buy things or services that bring you less value than they cost. Be frugal, and make it a habit.

Adieu
Kevin Fulton
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Mr. Satan (X)
Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Agree Oct 1, 2021

Coach-ish indeed.

I'm starting to get the sense that this is building up to "...and, most importantly, 20 euros for Tanja's most excellent book [inspirational CD, podcast, internet class, whatever]"

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Some people will like the topic starter's business coach approach, but personally, I am not very fond of it, so I'll just play an advocatus diaboli and suggest alternatives that I learned over the last three decades of work.

- be able to touch type with 10 fingers

I agree with this one, but it can be learned on the job. For a novice, the bottleneck in the translation workflow is the brain, not the fingers.

be very computer-savvy

Yes.

In most countries, the requisite knowledge of accounting for a translator can be gained within a day or two. After that, the actual accounting work can be automated with cheap (or even free) software. Also, at the very beginning the earnings may simply be below the reporting threshold (though this varies from country to country).

- learn marketing basics

Ask the old translators about marketing and they will tell you that nothing beats the word of mouth, so first and foremost, be a perfectionist, build your reputation, and have good friends.

- know how to run/program your own website...

See above. Having a website won't hurt, but don't count on it too much.

...including SEO

SEO will do precious little without a unique selling proposition (ugh... never thought I would use this term). For a novice, the value of SEO is close to zero, and may even be negative.

- do proper cost calculation and know average rates for various professions in your country (in order to make sure that enough money remains to be spent after paying office/material costs, taxes, social security contributions, health insurance contributions, pension fund contributions, paying your service providers' invoices, etc.)

More importantly, do proper value calculation and don't buy things or services that bring you less value than they cost. Be frugal, and make it a habit.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
My 2c Oct 4, 2021

All but one of those topics were covered formally or informally on the postgrad translation course I took and later taught on in the early 1990s.

The exception was websites and SEO, as the Internet was in its infancy.

While I am proud that I have had a successful career without ever having a website or doing any other marketing at all, instead relying solely word of mouth, the world is changing.

I suspect that word of mouth will increasingly be replaced by
... See more
All but one of those topics were covered formally or informally on the postgrad translation course I took and later taught on in the early 1990s.

The exception was websites and SEO, as the Internet was in its infancy.

While I am proud that I have had a successful career without ever having a website or doing any other marketing at all, instead relying solely word of mouth, the world is changing.

I suspect that word of mouth will increasingly be replaced by online networking in this world of influencers and selfies and shameless self-promotion.

But what self-respecting young graduate wouldn’t know their way around all that stuff anyway?
Collapse

Adieu
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
10 finger typing Oct 5, 2021

Tanja Tilch wrote:

Just a question. I hear German natives use this term, but I don't hear it used by English natives. We say touch typing. Is there some term in German being translated over? For sure, in practice I only use 9 fingers anyway (left thumb not used).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Further education you need before setting up a business

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »