XLS>TMW?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Polen
Local time: 11:06
Engels naar Pools
+ ...
Mar 25, 2007

Hello All,

Has any of you come across a tool/macro for converting xls file (source + target columns) into a TM format (preferably TMW or wordfast txt )? I think I have seen such a tool somewhere out there but cannot locate it right now.
TIA for your help.

Greg

[Edited at 2007-03-25 20:34]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Lid 2003
Pools naar Duits
+ ...
If you know the format of WF txt TM, why not write a macor on your own? Mar 25, 2007

I have not found a corresponding macro, but could imagine writing such one in Word shouldn't be that big problem.
If I would need to convert a XLS to Trados txt, I just would copy the xls to Word, convert table to tab separated text and then start replacing the paragraph mark with all those, what is before and after a segment and a tab witht what ist between segments.

Ie your sehment is:
Security = bezpieczeństwo

It would look that way in Trados txt:
... See more
I have not found a corresponding macro, but could imagine writing such one in Word shouldn't be that big problem.
If I would need to convert a XLS to Trados txt, I just would copy the xls to Word, convert table to tab separated text and then start replacing the paragraph mark with all those, what is before and after a segment and a tab witht what ist between segments.

Ie your sehment is:
Security = bezpieczeństwo

It would look that way in Trados txt:

<TrU>
<CrD>22022007, 02:00:09
<CrU>GP
<Seg L=EN-UK>Security
<Seg L=PL>bezpieczeństwo
</TrU>

Now I would use Word and start search&replace:
in search for:
^13
in replace:
</TrU>^13<TrU>^13<CrD>22022007, 02:00:09^13<CrU>GP^13<Seg L=EN-UK>

Then in search for:
^t
and in replace:
^13<Seg L=PL>

With this method only the first segment would need some manual editing.

I hope this was clear - if not, please send me the file and I'll try to convert it for you.
As for macro - if the above works, I would just very simply record it using the macro recorder - as I always do for my macros. I never learned to write them from scratch, but editig such recorded macros is much easier then.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
Sorry, I forgot:
In search&replace in Word you need to activate "search with wildcards", so then you are not able to search for the paragraph mark (^p), because it is not an allowed character. Therefore you must replace it by its aquivalent ^13 (carriage return).

[Edited at 2007-03-25 21:47]
Collapse

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Polen
Engels naar Pools
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Isnt this door already open? Mar 25, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

Thank you for your insight + your kind offer. My (limited) experience with macros/advanced S+R is that they often need quite a lot of fine-tuning, which can be quite a pain if you are in the middle of a large project, i.e. looking for a time-effective solution.
Another 'DIY' option is to split a bilingual table into 1 doc with source text, 2 doc with target text and align both files. Such alignments are usually 100% and require no further hand cranking.

... See more
Hi Jerzy,

Thank you for your insight + your kind offer. My (limited) experience with macros/advanced S+R is that they often need quite a lot of fine-tuning, which can be quite a pain if you are in the middle of a large project, i.e. looking for a time-effective solution.
Another 'DIY' option is to split a bilingual table into 1 doc with source text, 2 doc with target text and align both files. Such alignments are usually 100% and require no further hand cranking.

Anyhow, as I said, I have a strong feeling that someone has already invented this wheel.

Regards, G.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Duitsland
Lid 2004
Engels naar Sloveens
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have a look at my profile.... Mar 25, 2007

--- a tool/macro for converting xls file (source + target columns) into a TM format (preferably TMW or wordfast txt

I have a link to PlusToyz - © Arkadij Visotski, 2001-2006.

Based on my experience, this is exactly what you are looking for.

Regards

Vito

PS: re inventing the wheels - I did a few of them myself, but Arkadij's contraption is the roundest of them all. It's "the mother of them wheels" (g).

[Edited at 2007-03-25 22:31]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Polen
Lid 2004
Engels naar Pools
SITE LOCALIZER
Door open Mar 25, 2007

Dr. G. Palka wrote:

Anyhow, as I said, I have a strong feeling that someone has already invented this wheel.

Indeed:

http://www.maxprograms.com/EN/csvconverter.html

It outputs to TMX, but that should not be a problem?

Note that I have not tried that out...

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Polen
Engels naar Pools
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thanks again Jerzy, Vito and Jabber:-) Mar 25, 2007

I will have a go at your 2 options.

The funny thing is that I did think of using one of the macros/nifty programs made to convert the MS glossaries, but abandoned this idea on the grounds that these tools will target the peculiar format MS is using (semicolon trailed by some spaces If Im not mistaken) rather than the good ol' two columns' CSV/tab delimited layout.

Best, G.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Lid 2003
Duits naar Frans
Excel Mar 26, 2007

Hi Greg,

Would this help : http://www.proz.com/post/451872#451872 ?
I tried it and it works smoothly and very fast, using an Excel formula.

HTH,
Sylvain

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spanje
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
XLS>TMX Mar 26, 2007

Hi all,

You could use a tool called Xbench from ApSIC (www.apsic.com) that lets you convert a tabulated txt file into tmx. You can download this tool from their website.
The first column must be the source text and the second the target.

Regards,

Oscar

pep
pep
Engels naar Spaans
ApSIC Xbench tab delimited format, then export to TMX Mar 26, 2007

Hi Greg,

You can try our ApSIC Xbench. It reads Microsoft glossaries, but also regular tab-delimited text files. Please try the following:

1. Save your excel sheet as txt (with the two columns' CSV/tab delimited layout)
2. Open ApSIC Xbench, create a new project, choose File Properties and add the .txt as tab-delimited text.
3. Once loaded, choose Tools->Export and export as TMX.
4. Load the TMX file in Trados.

ApSIC Xbench can be download
... See more
Hi Greg,

You can try our ApSIC Xbench. It reads Microsoft glossaries, but also regular tab-delimited text files. Please try the following:

1. Save your excel sheet as txt (with the two columns' CSV/tab delimited layout)
2. Open ApSIC Xbench, create a new project, choose File Properties and add the .txt as tab-delimited text.
3. Once loaded, choose Tools->Export and export as TMX.
4. Load the TMX file in Trados.

ApSIC Xbench can be downloaded at http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx.

I hope this helps,
Pep.

Dr. G. Palka wrote:

I will have a go at your 2 options.

The funny thing is that I did think of using one of the macros/nifty programs made to convert the MS glossaries, but abandoned this idea on the grounds that these tools will target the peculiar format MS is using (semicolon trailed by some spaces If Im not mistaken) rather than the good ol' two columns' CSV/tab delimited layout.

Best, G.
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
Engels naar Frans
One more Mar 30, 2007

All other solutions are fine but I will suggest this one too because it's "fun".

Create 4 columns before the source column and one column betwen source and target.

Populate the first column with a time stamp, the second column with a user ID, the third one with the usage count, the fourth with the language ID... (see www.your-translations.com/cat-wordfast-translation_memory.php for more info).

When you are done, you can save as txt. Open in your favorite text editor, paste a Wordfast TM header on top (which you can copy from one of your existing wordfast TM) and save. You now have a perfectly valid Wordfast TM.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLS>TMW?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »