Is there a way of adding languages to Multiterm entries retrospectively?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:28
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Supposing I have chosen a bilingual template. I want to add a new entry to the database. I type in the source text and forget to type in the target text, and then close the entry. Is there any way at all, besides deleting the entry and starting again, of getting the target field back? There does not seem to be a way.

Take another example. I have chosen a five-language template. The five language fields are there in preparation for adding three other languages later. However, if I on
... See more
Supposing I have chosen a bilingual template. I want to add a new entry to the database. I type in the source text and forget to type in the target text, and then close the entry. Is there any way at all, besides deleting the entry and starting again, of getting the target field back? There does not seem to be a way.

Take another example. I have chosen a five-language template. The five language fields are there in preparation for adding three other languages later. However, if I only make a bilingual entry, is there absolutely no way of getting the other three language fields back afterwards, in order to add these languages? I have already tried all the instructions in the Multiterm help, i.e. concerning input models and layouts. Absolutely nothing seems to work, in order to get those fields back.

Astrid
Collapse

Adepto Norway
Adepto Norway  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes, you can add languages Jun 26, 2006

Hi!

I do the same with MT - adding languages to a multi-language template etc.

You choose "edit entry" from the toolbar, and then right-clik on the words "entry level", just above "entry number" in the entry field itself. Then you can choose the languages which have not yet been added. This also works if you have chosen a bilingual template and forgot to add the target term.

Hope this helps!

Inger Lise, Norway

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Edititing MultiTerm entry... Jun 26, 2006

Hi Astrid:

Edit function definitely deserves the award for unhumanest interface of the year.

Inger described it well enough.

I just have two languages, but I had to go the same Via Dolorosa as you are doing, before I figured out how to correct my typos for instance.

Regards

PS: possibly I misunderstood the problem, but your mentioning "deleting and entering it all again" struck an oh so very familiar note.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not work, though Jun 26, 2006

Thanks Inger Lise, however it does not work for me. Supposing I have typed in the source word, and save the entry without typing in the target word, there seems to be no way to get back the target box.

If I right-click at the top there, where you suggest, I get a menu, from which I can choose "add", "save", "cancel edit" or "close". "Add" would be the only possibility here, but it only opens up a new entry form, for a new term. I need to find a way to put the target box back in the
... See more
Thanks Inger Lise, however it does not work for me. Supposing I have typed in the source word, and save the entry without typing in the target word, there seems to be no way to get back the target box.

If I right-click at the top there, where you suggest, I get a menu, from which I can choose "add", "save", "cancel edit" or "close". "Add" would be the only possibility here, but it only opens up a new entry form, for a new term. I need to find a way to put the target box back in the existing term.

Astrid
Collapse

Adepto Norway
Adepto Norway  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
It does work if you do it correctly Jun 27, 2006

As I said in the reply:
You choose "edit entry" from the toolbar, and then right-clik on the words "entry level", just above "entry number" in the entry field itself. Then you can choose the languages which have not yet been added. This also works if you have chosen a bilingual template and forgot to add the target term.

SO - click on the "edit entry" button on the toolbar FIRST, and THEN right-click on "entry level" in the entry field. This is because you must first get the e
... See more
As I said in the reply:

SO - click on the "edit entry" button on the toolbar FIRST, and THEN right-click on "entry level" in the entry field. This is because you must first get the entry into edit mode by clicking on "edit entry" before you can change or add anything.

Hope this was clearer. Inger Lise
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"and THEN right-click on "entry level" in the entry field. " Jun 27, 2006

The entry fields change their colour, "Term" gets a different border etc.

The best place (my experience) to click is "between the eyes" - i.e. between "Term" text and the entry, above the colon.

it IS absolutely crazy, but I did not write this software. I am just using it (sg).

Dont forget then F10 - i.e. "Save edit". Also, editiing may now and then interfere - in a sensible fashion - with the use of MultiTerm in TWB. In this case, finish what you are doi
... See more
The entry fields change their colour, "Term" gets a different border etc.

The best place (my experience) to click is "between the eyes" - i.e. between "Term" text and the entry, above the colon.

it IS absolutely crazy, but I did not write this software. I am just using it (sg).

Dont forget then F10 - i.e. "Save edit". Also, editiing may now and then interfere - in a sensible fashion - with the use of MultiTerm in TWB. In this case, finish what you are doing first and then switch to the other task.

[Edited at 2006-06-27 17:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way of adding languages to Multiterm entries retrospectively?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »