Installing Trados on second computer
Thread poster: Cathleen39
Cathleen39
Cathleen39
German to English
Jun 23, 2006

I installed Trados SDL 2006 Freelancer onto my desktop. Then I tried to install it onto my laptop. Response: "A previous version of this product is already installed on your computer..." - which was not the case. I then assumed I might have to transfer the license code. But when I go to the license manager on the desktop it tells me "No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found." ???
Would be infinit
... See more
I installed Trados SDL 2006 Freelancer onto my desktop. Then I tried to install it onto my laptop. Response: "A previous version of this product is already installed on your computer..." - which was not the case. I then assumed I might have to transfer the license code. But when I go to the license manager on the desktop it tells me "No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found." ???
Would be infinitely grateful if someone could give a tip on how to proceed!
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 22:46
English to German
The old version might have not been properly uninstalled Jun 23, 2006

Usually the installer checks the registry to determine, if a product is already installed. Sometimes, when a software is uninstalled, these keys are not removed. Open the Registry Editor and search for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TRADOS]. If the folder exists delete it if you don't have any other Trados versions or Trados software licenses installed. This might do the trick.
(To run the Registry Editor, click Start > Run and enter regedit.)

Olaf

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
delete Trados folders Jun 24, 2006

Yes Olaf is right but I would suggest to:
1. Remove Trados folder from Progam files and Document and Settings folder.
2. Remove Trados item from Registry:
Start -> Run... -> regedit -> HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> Delete Key Trados from the left panel -> go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Delete Key Trados from the left panel again. okay, close Registry.
3. Restart computer, install everything again.

Sometimes it is useful to reinstall Microsoft .net
... See more
Yes Olaf is right but I would suggest to:
1. Remove Trados folder from Progam files and Document and Settings folder.
2. Remove Trados item from Registry:
Start -> Run... -> regedit -> HKEY_Current_User -> Software -> Delete Key Trados from the left panel -> go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Delete Key Trados from the left panel again. okay, close Registry.
3. Restart computer, install everything again.

Sometimes it is useful to reinstall Microsoft .net
1. Uninstall Trados.
2. Uninstall Microsoft .Net in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.
3. Restart computer.
4. Install Trados, installer will say you dont not have Micorosoft .net installed, and it will install it. click Ok.
5. finish installation.

Hope it'll help
Jan
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Id look for license file first Jun 25, 2006

Hi Cathleen:
Before going deeper - with Regedit etc -
"A previous version of this product is already installed on your computer...": you did install the new version successfully or not? I would assume so, the message is as far as myx experience goes, some warning during the installation, which you can override i.e. ignore.

"No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found."
... See more
Hi Cathleen:
Before going deeper - with Regedit etc -
"A previous version of this product is already installed on your computer...": you did install the new version successfully or not? I would assume so, the message is as far as myx experience goes, some warning during the installation, which you can override i.e. ignore.

"No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found."

Well, thats TWB as far as I can tell. Copy the license.lic file onto the laptop - its not important where to, but TRADOS subdirectory in programs would make sense. Go in TWB into the license manager (To be found in the menu / About if I remember correctly). In the window that opens, you will see at the bottom the option to select the location of the license file. Provice the name of the subdirectory where you copied the license file to and then everything should be roses.

Note: I have been renaming my license files to license65, license 7 etc to keep them apart - one of the possible problems in cases of upgrades is namely the license file may be outdated as well, causing some unnecessary confusion.

Regards

Vito
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Trados on second computer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »