Thread poster: Pacifica
Pacifica
Pacifica
United States
Local time: 01:05
English to French
+ ...
Jun 13, 2006

I am translating using an XML file within TagEditor. When I want to use the preview, I get the following message:

"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet."

I have selected the right DTD (Excel 2003 XML) into Tool>TagSettings. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Nathalie.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
English to German
+ ...
Excel? Jun 14, 2006

Hi Nathalie,

I have selected the right DTD (Excel 2003 XML) into Tool>TagSettings. So what am I doing wrong?

Where's the Excel connection here?
Didn't you get a DTD with the XML file?

Best, Ralf

Pacifica
Pacifica
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, there is an Excel DTD associated with the file Jun 14, 2006

But for som ereason I won't get any preview from tagEditor. Do you know if therer are some specific parameters to adjust when translating using an XML file associated with and Excel XML DTD?

Thanks.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:05
English to German
+ ...
Why Excel? Jun 14, 2006

Hi again,
Sorry if I'm asking something obvious, but I still fail to see where Excel gets involved here. XML files are author-specific by their very nature, so you should have received a DTD, an XML schema, or an .ini file from the author of the file. Have you?

Best regards,
Ralf

Pacifica
Pacifica
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because the initial source file is an Excel file... Jun 15, 2006

... Instead of using this source file directly into TagEditor, the vendor I am working with has modified the source file into an XML file to get rid of the tags that appear within TagEditor in the sentences/strings (if a tag is inserted between words, then even if you have the term/sentence it the TM, Trados won't find it).

So now I have this XML file created from the source Excel file.
I have associated the .ini XML Excel file and I would like to use the TagEditor Preview. <
... See more
... Instead of using this source file directly into TagEditor, the vendor I am working with has modified the source file into an XML file to get rid of the tags that appear within TagEditor in the sentences/strings (if a tag is inserted between words, then even if you have the term/sentence it the TM, Trados won't find it).

So now I have this XML file created from the source Excel file.
I have associated the .ini XML Excel file and I would like to use the TagEditor Preview.
Whatever the output, XML preview or Excel preview, I just want to see my target file. And I can't, I get the message stated in my first post.

I know one solution would be to use from TagEditor: File > Save Target, save the XML file locally, and then open it through Open With to make an association with Excel. But this adds steps in the process. Is there a way to preview my translations directly in TagEditor?

I hope this is not confusing, thanks for you help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: XML file --> EXcel preview

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »