Unable to import Wordfast TM into Trados new TM
Thread poster: Erica Sarnataro
Erica Sarnataro
Erica Sarnataro  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:44
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

I searched the threads dedicated to CAT tools but wasn't able to find whether this questions had already been asked (and answered), so I'm sorry if this topic had already been dealt with. I am not able to import (merge) Wordfast TMs (.txt files, just like Trados' own "export files) into a new Trados Tm. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
txt files Jan 25, 2006

Erica Sarnataro wrote:

I searched the threads dedicated to CAT tools but wasn't able to find whether this questions had already been asked (and answered), so I'm sorry if this topic had already been dealt with. I am not able to import (merge) Wordfast TMs (.txt files, just like Trados' own "export files) into a new Trados Tm. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Hi Erica, the extension is txt but the files are not the same.
You need to export from WF like TMX, and then import into Trados.
HTH
Grace

Erica Sarnataro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 26, 2006

Thanks a lot, Grace!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast TXT is not Trados TXT Jan 26, 2006

Erica Sarnataro wrote:
I am not able to import (merge) Wordfast TMs (.txt files, just like Trados' own "export files) into a new Trados Tm.

Both Trados TXT TM and the Wordfast native TM have a TXT file extension, and consequently they will have the same icon in Microsoft Windows, but they are not the same format at all.

If you want to merge Wordfast generated TMs into a new Trados TM, you should export the Wordfast TM to TMX format first.

If you don't have Wordfast... simply open the Wordfast TM in MS Excel and copy the two columns (source and target) to two documents, and do an alignment (can Trados do alignment?).

Erica Sarnataro
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 31, 2006

Thanks everybody for your precious suggestions!
Erica

Mabel Garzón
Mabel Garzón
Colombia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Importing WF memory into Trados Jul 6, 2006

Dear Sammuel,

Following on this topic, I'm now trying to follow your instructions, since I want to use a WF's TM in Trados.

The problem is when I open the Workbench to try to open the WF memry converted, as you said, into tmx, it only looks for files with the extension tmw, and ignores the onesw with tmx.

I thank you in advance for your reply,

Regards,

Mabel

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Import, not Open Jul 7, 2006

Mabel Garzón wrote:

Dear Sammuel,

Following on this topic, I'm now trying to follow your instructions, since I want to use a WF's TM in Trados.

The problem is when I open the Workbench to try to open the WF memry converted, as you said, into tmx, it only looks for files with the extension tmw, and ignores the onesw with tmx.

I thank you in advance for your reply,

Regards,

Mabel

You need to create a new, empty TM in Trados and then import, not open, the file you exported from Wordfast into that new TM.

HTH,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to import Wordfast TM into Trados new TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »