Vertical Subtitles in Subtitle Edit?
Thread poster: himawari_sol
himawari_sol
himawari_sol
Local time: 17:55
Japanese to English
Dec 7, 2022

HI all,

Can someone tell me if it is possible to create vertically positioned subtitles (common in Japanese subtitles) using Subtitle Edit? My research tells me it doesn't look likely, but is was only from one vague answer I found in another forum. Thank you!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
Netflix ISMSC 1.1 Japanese Dec 8, 2022

There is no straightforward way to do that. However you can select Format: Netflix ISMSC 1.1 Japanese but I don't know how to use it then. It will be not .srt anymore after you apply this change.

The other workaround is to use Top/Right alignment by adding a tag {\an9} and then press Ctrl+Enter after each kanji. This method allows you to keep the .srt format but you have to press the shortcut frequently.
Alternatively, you can type your subtitles normally and then open
... See more
There is no straightforward way to do that. However you can select Format: Netflix ISMSC 1.1 Japanese but I don't know how to use it then. It will be not .srt anymore after you apply this change.

The other workaround is to use Top/Right alignment by adding a tag {\an9} and then press Ctrl+Enter after each kanji. This method allows you to keep the .srt format but you have to press the shortcut frequently.
Alternatively, you can type your subtitles normally and then open it with Notepad++ and apply a batch replacement task in regex mode.

Find what: ([一-龠]|[ぁ-ゔ]|[ァ-ヴー]|[a-zA-Z0-9]|[々〆〤ヶ])
Replace with: $1\n

NB. The [a-zA-Z0-9] code is not a regular Latin alphabet but Japanese romaji. I hope you know what I mean. If not, just copy the code from here instead of typing it.

However I didn't test the above methods much.

Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Options - Settings - set 'Max. number of lines' to 25 Dec 8, 2022

Forgot to mention that: probably you may want to change the 'Max. number of lines' value from 2 to 25. In fact, it will mean max 25 kanjis per line for you with only 1 line possible.

===
Also, you can use Aegisub. All you need to do is add a code before the subtitle:
{\fn@DFPGothic-EB\fs26\shad0\fe128\frz-90\pos(797.921,201.6)}新しい世界へようこそ。

If the pos(797.921,201.6) numbers do not work for you, you can fiddle with them or simply move the subtitle manually.

[Edited at 2022-12-08 02:42 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Cracked it! Dec 8, 2022

Forget what I wrote above
I just accidentally found a solution. You can use the same code for Subtitle Edit:
{\fn@DFPGothic-EB\fs26\frz-90\pos(355.0,120.0)}新しい世界へようこそ。
Adjust the \pos(355.0,120.0) figures if need be.

[Edited at 2022-12-08 02:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vertical Subtitles in Subtitle Edit?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »