Konudaki sayfalar:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23] >
Netflix Hermes test
Konuyu gönderen: Magdalena Adamus
behisresponse
İspanya
Exactly my point Apr 15

Roel Verschueren.
That's exactly my point. This is only another test, for another company that in this case happens to produce some of the content they want to subtitle/translate. Do they have a better way/process to hire their contractors? In my opinion, they don't. But they're under the spotlight now.
Nothing new under the sun.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Hırvatistan
Still not working Apr 15

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

scribext wrote:

Hi,

maybe the passwords don't work because you are entering just the numeric part of the password? They have the format H0000000, and you need to enter the whole string of characters, "H" included.

Hope this helps


That's how I did it, but still get a message to the tune of "Wrong H or phone number."

How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


I got the same error at the beginning of April when I tried to login. At that point, it was discovered that the system gave out these errors for longer H numbers, although both your H number and last digits of the phone number were in fact correct. It was later fixed, but it took some time. I managed to login this week without further issues. The registration and getting various codes and the link via SMS was smooth.


I just tried it again, I'm still getting "Invalid H Number or Mobile Number Digits Not Matching."

behisresponse wrote:

José Henrique, I've been there too.
And as it is the case with any other company in whatever business, regardless how many tests, they're not going to get the best ones. They know it and they're just trying to cut out the middlemen.
That's my humble opinion.


Why do you say they're not gonna get the best?

behisresponse wrote:

Besides, it may happen that a translator with 20+ years of experience, let's say, is evaluated by some "newbie" with 10 years of experience. Or that they have different opinions about something. What's that good for?
The true professional proves him/herself on a daily basis. A mere test won't get them what they're looking for, if they're looking for the best, and they know it.


What difference does it make how much experience someone has. Translating is about talent. Experience may count a little bit in terms of cultural knowledge and knowledge of some specialized terminology, but it is a minor factor in comparison to intelligence.

The matter of how good the person scoring the tests is IS an issue.

We don't like algorithms, no one in flesh and blood does, and we have doubts about the moment when we passed the algorithms, the "human" evaluator deciding on test 4 and 5 is any better then we are. He/she can't be, right?
Absolutely legitimate.[Bijgewerkt op 2017-04-15 20:50 GMT]


A human evaluated you on all the tests. A human decided which answers the computer would deem as correct in 1,2 and 3.

But, also, why are you singling out test 4, that's a multiple choice, too.

Roel Verschueren wrote:

This said. The Hermes program is out there. The system works (if not for some, mostly due to not understanding the way the system works, having no time to wait for the right SMS to come in with the right code, not reading how you should log in to their system), being indulgent, mostly.


I don't think that's right, I think for most people for whom it is not working it is not working for the same reason it is not working for me: I did everything right, but have not received my SMS. Some folks have been waiting for it for a loooong time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romanya
Local time: 09:35
Üye (2004)
İngilizce > Rumence
+ ...
Beyond the test Apr 16

Franjo Varšić wrote:
How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


You should contact support, IMHO. It did not take very long to receive the link SMS, maybe a couple of hours. There may be something actually wrong, like before, when the system did not correctly process 7 digit H numbers, and you would be waiting in vain.

Franjo Varšić wrote:
Why do you say they're not gonna get the best?

As far as I know, when it comes to actual assignments, for their Originals they tolerate NO errors. There is an ongoing layered system of auditing work submitted and subtitles with errors get failed. Sometimes a lot and repeatedly.

That being said, I believe they are aware that some people test poorly and do good work, while others test great and deliver poor work, particularly with their large volumes and tight deadlines.

Franjo Varšić wrote:
But, also, why are you singling out test 4, that's a multiple choice, too.

FYI, test 4 is indicative of a type of process they use.

Incidentally, I spotted several errors in the Romanian used in test 4 particularly :/ Just shows, talent will open some doors for you, to stay in you need to install a spell checker)

As far as I know, they do use Sfera for some processes. However, for the actual subtitling work you will need a professional software, because of their particular requirements and these are usually expensive.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Hırvatistan
I did Apr 16

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:
How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


You should contact support, IMHO. It did not take very long to receive the link SMS, maybe a couple of hours. There may be something actually wrong, like before, when the system did not correctly process 7 digit H numbers, and you would be waiting in vain.


I did. They responded with an automatic email that made some suggestions and then said "if these don't work for you reply to this email," which I did, I think about 10 days ago, but still haven't gotten a response.

There's a lot of people online complaining about not having gotten their link.

I saw someone say that tech support told them to retake the survey to make sure they didn't enter the wrong phone number and then to go to that link I posted earlier, to go to the test directly. I tried that, nothing doing.

I suspect they didn't expect the volume of test taking that they got and now things are a mess over on their end.

I also wonder whether the people who are in my boat, haven't gotten their link, aren't maybe the ones whose language was in the "other" category, rather than being listed in the survey.

[Edited at 2017-04-16 10:22 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romanya
Local time: 09:35
Üye (2004)
İngilizce > Rumence
+ ...
"other" languages Apr 16

Franjo Varšić wrote:
I also wonder whether the people who are in my boat, haven't gotten their link, aren't maybe the ones whose language was in the "other" category, rather than being listed in the survey.


Oh, you might be correct. It might be that there is in fact no test into your language, this is why the test link is not generated and sent. These tests look like a lot of work and I'm not sure they would invest in that if they do not need the language at this point. Was anyone actually able to take a test into your language?

In any case, if they do not actively translate into your language at the moment, you would take the test now in hopes of receiving work at a later date, perhaps never. I would wait if I were you. This is meant to be an ongoing process, with freelance work there tends to be a certain turnover and they will add languages progressively. When they start working on the next set of languages, you will find out for sure.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
İngilizce > İspanyolca
+ ...
Experience does count and sometimes trumps talent Apr 16

Franjo Varšić, since your Proz profile contains zero usable or actionable information, I have to make some assumptions. You wrote this:

'What difference does it make how much experience someone has. Translating is about talent. Experience may count a little bit in terms of cultural knowledge and knowledge of some specialized terminology, but it is a minor factor in comparison to intelligence.'

Um, a) I am assuming you are either very young or b) inexperienced in the field of translation. Maybe you have 5 or fewer years of provable full-time paid (professional) experience.

Second assumption: you say translation is about talent... or intelligence. Make up your mind, or write a clearer version of your thoughts.

Every human being, translator or not, carries a volume of cultural knowledge, which should include formal education (12 years or more). By cultural knowledge we are not talking about what folk music or dress a particular country has, or typical cuisine, historical places to visit, etc. Cultural knowledge is not what appears on a travel brochure, but it is far more complex and has many layers. Part of that cultural knowledge, which you seem to dismiss so quickly, is knowing about movies, football matches, sports lingo, expressions preferred by the young as opposed to wording favored by older generations, conventions about advertising, sales, product packaging, movie posters and many other things.

Being aware of these things is one thing, learning and applying them takes years and years of practice. And subtitling for movies, documentaries, sports programs has its own cultural 'rules' so to speak. The writing is more compact, some meaning is lost because more negotiations for space and intent take place on subtitles than on a user manual or a novel.

But back to the so-called talent. Talent to do what? Translation is not theater or a song contest.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Hırvatistan
Could be Apr 16

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:
I also wonder whether the people who are in my boat, haven't gotten their link, aren't maybe the ones whose language was in the "other" category, rather than being listed in the survey.


Oh, you might be correct. It might be that there is in fact no test into your language, this is why the test link is not generated and sent. These tests look like a lot of work and I'm not sure they would invest in that if they do not need the language at this point. Was anyone actually able to take a test into your language?

In any case, if they do not actively translate into your language at the moment, you would take the test now in hopes of receiving work at a later date, perhaps never. I would wait if I were you. This is meant to be an ongoing process, with freelance work there tends to be a certain turnover and they will add languages progressively. When they start working on the next set of languages, you will find out for sure.


Yeah, it's quite possible there's no test yet in my language.

I don't know whether anyone took the test in my language, but I do know that there are people already translating for Netflix in my language. I think that started even before Hermes, though. They also have the style guide for my language.

The thing is, I don't understand why they would handle things the way they did, with having that "other" category, because what good does that do them? If it is indeed the case that the "other" languages are not supported yet, you can't notify the person when the test becomes available in their language, because they didn't state in the survey what their language is. Why would you have those people register at all? If other languages ARE available then why not list them immediately?

Mario Chavez wrote:

Second assumption: you say translation is about talent... or intelligence. Make up your mind, or write a clearer version of your thoughts.


I was equating the two. Clear enough?

Every human being, translator or not, carries a volume of cultural knowledge, which should include formal education (12 years or more). By cultural knowledge we are not talking about what folk music or dress a particular country has, or typical cuisine, historical places to visit, etc. Cultural knowledge is not what appears on a travel brochure, but it is far more complex and has many layers. Part of that cultural knowledge, which you seem to dismiss so quickly, is knowing about movies, football matches, sports lingo, expressions preferred by the young as opposed to wording favored by older generations, conventions about advertising, sales, product packaging, movie posters and many other things.


Seems a lot isn't clear to you. Go reread my post, I said cultural knowledge is important.

Being aware of these things is one thing, learning and applying them takes years and years of practice.


What's the difference between being aware of some bit of culture and learning it?

But back to the so-called talent. Talent to do what? Translation is not theater or a song contest.


To resolve difficult problems in a creative and elegant way.

[Edited at 2017-04-16 18:27 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
İngilizce > İspanyolca
+ ...
Talent is not intelligence Apr 16

Sorry, Franjo, but the confused one seems to be you. Talent doesn't equal intelligence. You made the inference, but you didn't present any supporting arguments.

Others have tried to answer your multiple questions. Your posts still come across as grasping at straws. Otherwise, good luck with the Hermes test.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jocelin M  Identity Verified
Fransa
Local time: 08:35
İngilizce > Fransızca
+ ...
You got lucky Apr 17

Cristiana Coblis wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

scribext wrote:

Hi,

maybe the passwords don't work because you are entering just the numeric part of the password? They have the format H0000000, and you need to enter the whole string of characters, "H" included.

Hope this helps


That's how I did it, but still get a message to the tune of "Wrong H or phone number."

How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


I got the same error at the beginning of April when I tried to login. At that point, it was discovered that the system gave out these errors for longer H numbers, although both your H number and last digits of the phone number were in fact correct. It was later fixed, but it took some time. I managed to login this week without further issues. The registration and getting various codes and the link via SMS was smooth.

The test itself was not difficult and it covers the main tasks that are currently needed. It can be completed in a much shorter time, so I think the time given is quite sufficient for extra research, checking your work, etc. No reason to rush through it, there's plenty of time.

I'm still trying to get to the test but got only error messages and the support didn't respond to any of my emails for more than a week now. Would you happen to know if other people had access after it worked for you? Wondering if it's general and the problem comes from me or not.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romanya
Local time: 09:35
Üye (2004)
İngilizce > Rumence
+ ...
Authentication error Apr 17

Jocelin M wrote:

I'm still trying to get to the test but got only error messages and the support didn't respond to any of my emails for more than a week now. Would you happen to know if other people had access after it worked for you? Wondering if it's general and the problem comes from me or not.


On April 2nd, I received an answer from support that the authentication error causing longer H numbers to be truncated was fixed. I was very busy these past few weeks and only took the test a few days ago.

FYI, the support message implies that there were/are some technical issues with grading as well. Presumably that would have fixed these issues by now, it has been several weeks.

@Franjo
This might answer your question regarding status of "other" languages.
http://nflx.it/2om8ZMg

FYI, when they are not working towards launching a certain language, the volume is generally very low or zero across processes.

To be quite frank, the test does take around 1 hour even if you are already familiar with everything and don't have to check the style guide often. If they were not working actively in my language, I'm not sure I would invest that time to take the test. It might take years for them to reach a decision to localize their catalog in a certain language and by that time the data in Hermes will be deprecated and most people would have moved on.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MK2010  Identity Verified
Amerika Birleşik Devletleri
Local time: 00:35
Üye (Jun 2017)
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
Nothing new under the sun? Really? Apr 18

behisresponse wrote:

That's exactly my point. This is only another test, for another company that in this case happens to produce some of the content they want to subtitle/translate. Do they have a better way/process to hire their contractors? In my opinion, they don't. But they're under the spotlight now.
Nothing new under the sun.


It seems to me that Netflix is pretty much taking over the world. Every time I log on for something to watch, I am absolutely astounded by the amount of content. Not only are they buying up rights to everything under the sun, but they are producing more and more of their own content. It seems like every week there is another "Netflix original" to binge watch if you so choose--some of which has gone on to win awards.

So yeah, this is huge, because Netflix means lots and lots and lots of subtitles. So I totally get why it's got everybody in a tizzy.

That said, I have a question for anyone who's translated for them before. Is there a proprietary software you use on an online platform? Do you have do to the time-coding and other technical aspects yourself? Someone up-thread mentioned having to invest in expensive subtitling software if you do get the gig, so I'm a little confused.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brezilya
Local time: 03:35
İngilizce > Portekizce
+ ...
Can't be sure Apr 18

MK2010 wrote:

That said, I have a question for anyone who's translated for them before. Is there a proprietary software you use on an online platform? Do you have do to the time-coding and other technical aspects yourself? Someone up-thread mentioned having to invest in expensive subtitling software if you do get the gig, so I'm a little confused.


I translated a couple of movies for a local vendor of theirs. I guess they were getting started as such, since they sent me the first one for translation in pristine HD, no overlaid logo or notice, ready to show on any screen, or make available at torrent sites for download. I phoned them (found out their offices were less than two miles from me), and talked to the person in charge. I warned him about the risks, and he agreed, but he argued that it took too long for computers to render the videos downgraded, and there were too many of them. The second one came in 640x360 with a "do not distribute" notice on it.

The videos came with no script, and they required time-coded, quality-checked STL or SRT files. Style guides (the same available on the test site) were provided. Pay was low, however turnaround time was ample, one week per feature film.

People who use expensive subtitling software always try to justify (maybe to themselves) the hefty investment. They say that cheap or free subtitling software is inaccurate, and renders poor quality. It's like people who say it's "unsafe" to drive a car without power steering, automatic transmission, 4WD and air conditioning, when the truth is that they are unable to handle a stickshift and clutch properly.

Of course, these pricey subtitling software packages have their proprietary format files, If Netflix chooses to use one of them, and will not undertake conversion from, say, the popular SRT, they'll be a must. However this may lead to a secondary subtitle file format conversion "industry".


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romanya
Local time: 09:35
Üye (2004)
İngilizce > Rumence
+ ...
software Apr 18

You will need a software that can accommodate their specific requirements for time-coding, which you can find here:
https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/215758617-Timed-Text-Style-Guide-General-Requirements

Other than that, you can use whatever you want or like. Normally, they use the format dfxp. Usually they provide the video file and a CC file (if available), which is useful for portions with problematic audio, name spelling etc.

Personally, I would recommend using software that you like and makes your life easier. It does have to be very precise due to their requirements. Also, you will need to check quite a lot the number of frames around shot changes etc., so a software that can accommodate such checks rapidly and consistently can help your productivity significantly.

HTH


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MK2010  Identity Verified
Amerika Birleşik Devletleri
Local time: 00:35
Üye (Jun 2017)
Fransızca > İngilizce
+ ...
Thanks José and Cristiana... Apr 18

...for the info. Good luck to everybody taking the test!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nathália D'Ajello
Brezilya
Local time: 03:35
İngilizce > Portekizce
+ ...
Agree with Magdalena Apr 18

Hi everyone! I was looking on the internet to find out about people who might have taken the test and had answers regarding how long they take to give the score. Great finding this discussion because I completely agree with you Magdalena. My friend got the same test as you (football video). Very hard indeed. Mine was easier. And there were inconsistencies on the tasks. And yes, it was not possible to use italics and I wrote about this to the support but got only an automatic response. My password did not work either in the beginning, the 4 digits of our phone part. I wrote them on a Saturday and got a response on Monday. I took the test, April 3rd. Haven't got a response yet.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Konudaki sayfalar:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Terim arama
  • İşler
  • Forumlar
  • Multiple search