JM González
JM González  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2015

Hello everyone,

Although I've been on the site for some time now, I still consider myself relatively new to the profession. I'm currently doing some transcription (mostly Spanish directly to English) and have noticed that some of the media files that I receive seem to go by fast on Express Scribe's regular speed. They sometimes sound like they may be slightly altered from their natural speed to be a bit faster. Now, I'm not sure if someone would do that to send in less minutes and g
... See more
Hello everyone,

Although I've been on the site for some time now, I still consider myself relatively new to the profession. I'm currently doing some transcription (mostly Spanish directly to English) and have noticed that some of the media files that I receive seem to go by fast on Express Scribe's regular speed. They sometimes sound like they may be slightly altered from their natural speed to be a bit faster. Now, I'm not sure if someone would do that to send in less minutes and get a better bang for their buck (either on the agency or the client's part), but, in that case, I'd feel quite abused. So is there any way to verify this on the files I receive?

Many thanks,

JM
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 18:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't think so Dec 19, 2015

Hi JM, if that's true it does sound like a good way to abuse transcribers, but I'm afraid there's no way you can find out unless you have access to the original media.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:13
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Dec 19, 2015

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hi JM, if that's true it does sound like a good way to abuse transcribers, but I'm afraid there's no way you can find out unless you have access to the original media.

But even if you do have access, what can you do? I think I need to do some experimenting.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It would be a slick trick Dec 19, 2015

While analog audio, if sped up, will raise the pitch of speech into a squawk, digital audio won't.

So, according to this video, it is easy to transform an Argentinean speaker into a Dominican one, and still pay per minute of playing time.

Any client dong this deserves to join those who will demand a 75% discount on fuzzy matches above 5% for text translation.
... See more
While analog audio, if sped up, will raise the pitch of speech into a squawk, digital audio won't.

So, according to this video, it is easy to transform an Argentinean speaker into a Dominican one, and still pay per minute of playing time.

Any client dong this deserves to join those who will demand a 75% discount on fuzzy matches above 5% for text translation. They'll only get service from truly 'desperados', regardless of their skills.

[Edited at 2015-12-19 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to tell if a media/audio file has been sped up

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »