Thread poster: Sergio Bondioni
Sergio Bondioni
Sergio Bondioni  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:54
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2015

I've recently translated a movie from Italian into English. My translation will be used for subtitling the movie.
Should I put on my CV that I've translated the movie or subtitled it? Or both ?
Many thanks in advance

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:54
Italian to English
Translation for subtitling Dec 2, 2015

Hi Sergio,
If you say that you subtitled the film, it seems to suggest that you also did the time-cueing.
If you were given a template of subtitles in the SL to translate into the TL, I would say 'translation of subtitles' (usually with a character limit per line).
If you translated the texts and someone else was responsible for adapting your translation so that it could be used for subtitles, i.e. reducing it where necessary to fit into time restrictions, I would say just that
... See more
Hi Sergio,
If you say that you subtitled the film, it seems to suggest that you also did the time-cueing.
If you were given a template of subtitles in the SL to translate into the TL, I would say 'translation of subtitles' (usually with a character limit per line).
If you translated the texts and someone else was responsible for adapting your translation so that it could be used for subtitles, i.e. reducing it where necessary to fit into time restrictions, I would say just that, 'translation for subtitling' or 'translation to be used for subtitling'.
If it's going on your CV, you might want to add some more information, for example, what the subject matter in the film was or any particular features which help to showcase your skills.
I hope that helps!
Jane
Collapse

Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends Dec 2, 2015

I've recently translated a movie from Italian into English. My translation will be used for subtitling the movie.

In my practice, there are certain techniques that are specifically involved in subtitling, such as finding the right sentence length based on the reading speed, knowing how to separate "linguistic wholes" in long sentences into lines, synchronizing the names and emphases with the audio and so on. When subtitling, you typically work directly with a video, rather than a script. If it describes your work, by all means, you should mention it in your resume as subtitling experience.
On the other hand, if you have translated a script and someone else now takes parts and bits of it to assemble subtitles, imho, describe it as you put it in your question: I translated a movie, and the translation was used for subtitling.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:54
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Agreed Dec 2, 2015

Natalia Postrigan wrote:

On the other hand, if you have translated a script and someone else now takes parts and bits of it to assemble subtitles, imho, describe it as you put it in your question: I translated a movie, and the translation was used for subtitling.

Whenever I translate a script, either to be used for subtitles or dubbing, I list it as having translated scripts for subtitling or dubbing. Only when I actually insert the subtitles' translation into the video do I list the worj as translation of subtitles.

Sergio Bondioni
Sergio Bondioni  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:54
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation for subtitling it is. Dec 2, 2015

Many thanks Jane, Natalia and Thayenga. I had the feeling that subtitling was not exactly what I did but I wanted to be sure. All the best to you all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation or subtitling?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »