Some help with Subtitle Workshop (time expander)
Autor vlákna: Kaze105
Kaze105
Kaze105
japonština -> angličtina
Nov 12, 2008

Hello, I downloaded some subtitle for a specific video and found out that the subtitle disappears too fast.

So i tried to extend the time by going to edit/timing/ and time expander.

I found out that when i try expanding, nothing happens.. When i try reducing though, it works fine.

Can i get some help on why this happens?

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
Čína
Local time: 07:53
Člen (2011)
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
Try again Nov 12, 2008

I think you use a newer version. I use subtitle workshop 2.51.
Below is the method in the subtitle help file:
============================
Method 2: synchronize using two points
This method will work very well in most cases. It works by taking two points of the subtitle file and two points of the video, and calculate the times using a linear algorithm. The first pair of points will be called "First sync points" and the last pair of points will be called "Last sync points"
... See more
I think you use a newer version. I use subtitle workshop 2.51.
Below is the method in the subtitle help file:
============================
Method 2: synchronize using two points
This method will work very well in most cases. It works by taking two points of the subtitle file and two points of the video, and calculate the times using a linear algorithm. The first pair of points will be called "First sync points" and the last pair of points will be called "Last sync points". Each pair of points consist in one point in the subtitle and one point in the video, the point in the subtitle has the wrong times and the point of the video has the right times. After selecting the first sync points and last sync points Subtitle Workshop calculates the rest of the times appropriately. The closer first sync points are to the beginning and last sync points are to the end, the most accuracy you get. Note: if the point of the subtitle selected in the first sync points corresponds to the first subtitle, and the point of the subtitle selected in the last sync points corresponds to the last subtitle, then the first formula (first and last dialogs) will be used.

After understanding this basics you have to do this:

First of all, select the subtitle you want to mark as first point. The first point in the subtitle will always be the selected subtitle's initial time.
Play the video until you find the right time for that subtitle (this will be the first point in the video), when you do, click the "Mark as first sync point" button or press the [Ctrl]+[1] keys.
Now select the subtitle you want to mark as last sync point. The last sync point will be the selected subtitle's initial time.
Play the video until you find the right time for that subtitle (this will be the last point in the video), when you do, click the "Mark as last sync point" button or press the [Ctrl]+[2] keys.
After doing this you will get a confirmation message, click "Yes" and the subtitle will be instantly synchronized.
========================
Try it , I tried it before, but I found the Subtitle workshop will destroy time codes of a part of the subtitles. I do not know why.

Kaze105 wrote:

Hello, I downloaded some subtitle for a specific video and found out that the subtitle disappears too fast.

So i tried to extend the time by going to edit/timing/ and time expander.

I found out that when i try expanding, nothing happens.. When i try reducing though, it works fine.

Can i get some help on why this happens?
Collapse

Kaze105
Kaze105
japonština -> angličtina
AUTOR TÉMATU
Hmm Nov 12, 2008

I use 2.51 subtitle workshop.. There is a newer version too?

That does seem fine, but the largest problem is that almost all of the subtitle is too short. (total 42 minutes)

Your way is fine, but that is something that will take forever considering how long the video is.

The main reason im hoping to solve this time extender problem is because i see that i need to extend 2 seconds for sentences with over 20 character and another 2 for over 30..

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazílie
Local time: 20:53
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitle Workshop 4 Nov 12, 2008

Kaze105 wrote:

There is a version 4 beta, according to the author, rewritten from scratch.
http://www.urusoft.net

I tried it quite a while ago, and it lacked a lot of things, maybe he was still rewriting them, so I'm using 2.51.

Kaze105
Kaze105
japonština -> angličtina
AUTOR TÉMATU
Thanks Nov 12, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Kaze105 wrote:

There is a version 4 beta, according to the author, rewritten from scratch.
http://www.urusoft.net

I tried it quite a while ago, and it lacked a lot of things, maybe he was still rewriting them, so I'm using 2.51.

Thank you, although it is as you say that it lacks a lot of things, i am able to increase the time of the subtitle.

Ends up it overlaps, which 2.51 has a option of not.

Does anyone know another subtitle program that does this?

Also, does anyone know why 2.51 is not showing the video except audio for me?

[Edited at 2008-11-12 21:04]

[Edited at 2008-11-12 21:09]

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
Čína
Local time: 07:53
Člen (2011)
angličtina -> čínština
+ ...
So it is not a synchronizing problem Nov 13, 2008

I do not think subtitle workshop can handle your problem. You need to change the time length of each subtitle one by one.

Kaze105 wrote:

That does seem fine, but the largest problem is that almost all of the subtitle is too short. (total 42 minutes)

Your way is fine, but that is something that will take forever considering how long the video is.

The main reason im hoping to solve this time extender problem is because i see that i need to extend 2 seconds for sentences with over 20 character and another 2 for over 30..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some help with Subtitle Workshop (time expander)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »