Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
English to Italian
what more do you want? Nov 28, 2008

Hacene wrote:

What more can a simple man like me want??

xx

Hacène

More mutton!!!!!!!

And I wouldn't mind being kidnapped....

G

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:48
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Iwan Nov 28, 2008

Iwan Davies wrote:
The thread topic is called "Proz conference expectations", yet the conference was definitely Benisian in its origin. Yes, there were a number of (former) ITI members on the platform, and plenty of us in the audience, but really what do you expect? Michael has been a long-standing member and supporter of ITI, and a large number of us were eager to support him in this venture.

The conference, therefore, was independent in terms of its organisation. There were three main supporters - ProZ.com, ITI and CIoL. Each of the three contributed on the weekend and beforehand to help Michael get the conference going (though it must be said, of course, that Michael and his team demonstrated extraordinary commitment, enthusiasm and organisational skills all of their own).

This is all true. Michael (and if anyone was assisting him, them too) deserves all or most of the credit for the program.
Nevertheless, I'd like to thank him once again, publicly this time, for all the work he's put in, not only at this conference, but also at previous events, through his articles, presentations and training courses, in raising the profile of translators and interpreters, whatever association they belong to. The standing ovation at the close of the conference was a fitting thank you for all his efforts.

Thanks for posting that, Iwan. Michael definitely deserved a standing ovation; I am glad to hear that he got one.

By the way, there have now been fifty responses to the post-conference survey and the general level of satisfaction among respondents appears to me to be higher than what has been expressed here. As an example, 44 of 50 respondents said they have met someone with whom they will or may work in the future. (I post this fact primarily to give further credit where I believe it is due. I don't mean to take anything away from the constructive feedback in this thread, much of which is also echoed by survey respondents.)

Ellen Singer
Ellen Singer  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial quote..... Nov 28, 2008

Hacene wrote:

I must say, being a technical translator, I did not have this feeling at all. On the contrary, it seems to me that this conference was geared towards marketing (for instance the workshop on Sunday morning).

Hacène

Dear Hacene,

The complete quote is:
Most of the UK conference was about people informing us how important and great they are..... They also told us that we should all know certain companies, big fish I must say, but only if you are into technical and software translation, not any other field..... So why would a literature translator come across them at all? Or a legal translator? Not my cup of tea.

I was referring to the mentioning of L10nbridge and welocalize.com, two big fish but mainly if you are doing technical work

Meeting you is all a simple girl like me wants too..... AND I got to kidnap you to the Nepalese What a bonus!

Ellen Singer
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Benisian? Nov 28, 2008

Hello all,

If a conference is a Benisian conference or any other new word to indicate subjective and repetitive input, I would like to know in advance. Even as a teenager I did not idolize people. I am not going to start now.

BTW Comparing the ovation Michael got to the one Csaba got in Budapest.... well, let's not go there....

A lot of work was involved, people do get carried away but there are limits!

As stated before, I will select the confe
... See more
Hello all,

If a conference is a Benisian conference or any other new word to indicate subjective and repetitive input, I would like to know in advance. Even as a teenager I did not idolize people. I am not going to start now.

BTW Comparing the ovation Michael got to the one Csaba got in Budapest.... well, let's not go there....

A lot of work was involved, people do get carried away but there are limits!

As stated before, I will select the conferences more carefully next time! I am not negative by nature....
Collapse

Ellen Singer
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mutton or Benison? Nov 28, 2008

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Hacene wrote:

xx

Hacène

More mutton!!!!!!!

G

Dear G,

We had all the Benison we could wish for! You should not be this picky!

E

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
English to Italian
lol Nov 28, 2008

Ellen Singer wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Hacene wrote:

xx

Hacène

More mutton!!!!!!!

G

Dear G,

We had all the Benison we could wish for! You should not be this picky!

E

I prefer Venison to Benison...

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Another view of the conference Dec 5, 2008

blog.philippahammond.net

Marc

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dortmund is coming Dec 18, 2008

with an event on Friday before the conference and a powwow to make a proper closing of the conference too, on Sunday then.
The conference fee does include a networking dinner (of course - a conference without it is not a realy conference, after all).
We will be following multiple sessions concept at the same time, providing at least two parallel sessions to be chosen.
However, I must admit, that this conference will be even more local than last year. We will be focusing on Germ
... See more
with an event on Friday before the conference and a powwow to make a proper closing of the conference too, on Sunday then.
The conference fee does include a networking dinner (of course - a conference without it is not a realy conference, after all).
We will be following multiple sessions concept at the same time, providing at least two parallel sessions to be chosen.
However, I must admit, that this conference will be even more local than last year. We will be focusing on German tax system, insurances for translators and the new law for translators and interpreters in Northrhine-Westfalia, where I do live.
On the other hand, on Sunday you will get the oportunity to participate in CAT-training at no cost (the training is included in the conference fee).
The conference page may be found here.
Leaving the choice of topics, which is obviously of local character, this will again be a conference made by us for us.
Coming back to the topic discussed here this is my main critics against the conference in London - however perfectly organised, I've missed the warmth we had during all ProZ conferences. While I felt as would I be at home in Oxford, Edinburgh, Cracow, Berlin and Budapest, meeting my friends there, I did miss the friends in London. Yes, I've met some colleagues, but this really friendly feeling did not come. I have expected more... But again, critisizing is very easy, doing something like this conference not - so regardless my slight dissapointment many thanks to Michael and the organizers for their effort. I do not regret having been there.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

London conference 2008 - Proz conference expectations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »