Maybe disable the flashing "Learn more" button on the banner at the top of every page?
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
German to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2023

The "ProZ.com is ON YOUR SIDE" banner itself is too noticeable cos it's so big. It would still be easily "noticed" if it were half the size. But the flashing light every 4 seconds is irritating if you're trying to read site content.

Maybe disable the flashing?

Just a suggestion.

Mr. Satan (X)
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
writeaway
Alison MacG
Jennifer Levey
Stepan Konev

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Or.... Jun 23, 2023

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

The "ProZ.com is ON YOUR SIDE" banner itself is too noticeable cos it's so big. It would still be easily "noticed" if it were half the size. But the flashing light every 4 seconds is irritating if you're trying to read site content.

Maybe disable the flashing?

Just a suggestion.

Or we could add sound effects

Christopher Schröder
IrinaN
Kay Denney
Cilian O'Tuama

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you Jun 23, 2023

The "ProZ.com is ON YOUR SIDE" header is only visible to non-members and it's been activated to bring the current membership campaign to non-members' attention. Glad to see that you've noticed it.

I'll ask developers to take a look though to make sure it doesn't interfere with site navigation or content. Thanks!

Lucia

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Been a member for many years Jun 23, 2023

I haven't renewed yet (for many reasons) and, to be honest, that enormous banner makes me want not to renew...

Jennifer Levey
writeaway
IrinaN
Zea_Mays
Kay Denney
Tony Keily
Cilian O'Tuama

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
dated technique Jun 23, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

The "ProZ.com is ON YOUR SIDE" header is only visible to non-members and it's been activated to bring the current membership campaign to non-members' attention. Glad to see that you've noticed it.

I'll ask developers to take a look though to make sure it doesn't interfere with site navigation or content. Thanks!

Lucia

Well, big flashing banners are not exactly what you'd call "state-of-the-art"... It's 2023, not 2003.

Also, consider that such effects can lead to neurological problems.

Jennifer Levey
Arabic & More
Mr. Satan (X)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:23
English to Russian
Flashing 'Learn more' Jun 23, 2023

If you, by any chance, use uBlock Origin, you can stop the banner from flashing. Right click it and select Block the element > Create. It will not remove the banner but will prevent the flashing effect.

Elena Feriani
Aurélien ARPAZ
writeaway
Mr. Satan (X)
Kay Denney
expressisverbis
Wolfgang Schoene

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thank you! Jun 23, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

If you, by any chance, use uBlock Origin, you can stop the banner from flashing. Right click it and select Block the element > Create. It will not remove the banner but will prevent the flashing effect.

Mr. Satan (X)

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Lucia Jun 24, 2023

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Lucia

I'm just saying that the light strobe might deter non-members rather than attract them. But maybe not.

It's no skin off my nose - good luck
C

Zea_Mays

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 26, 2023

I find it very irritating and it won't change my mind to sign up again since I have well-founded reasons for not signing up.
Also, the banner is hiding the menu which is even more annoying.

Christopher Schröder
Jennifer Levey
Cilian O'Tuama

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Diminished experience Jun 27, 2023

I would like to add my voice to those who find the flashing banner a major annoyance. As noted above, this is something that can trigger neurological issues for some people, including migraines and/or seizures. The bad thing here is that there is also no option to disable it. I also feel that the response from Proz has been a bit dismissive. Was this issue actually discussed, and was the neurological aspect brought up and addressed during any discussions?

I don't have a problem with
... See more
I would like to add my voice to those who find the flashing banner a major annoyance. As noted above, this is something that can trigger neurological issues for some people, including migraines and/or seizures. The bad thing here is that there is also no option to disable it. I also feel that the response from Proz has been a bit dismissive. Was this issue actually discussed, and was the neurological aspect brought up and addressed during any discussions?

I don't have a problem with ads or "banners" in general... but this one is extremely annoying and really diminishes the experience one might have on the site.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Jennifer Levey

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But it's much better now :-) Jun 28, 2023

Arabic & More wrote:

I would like to add my voice to those who find the flashing banner a major annoyance...

... but this one is extremely annoying

Briliiant! Isn't it lovely it's no longer a flashing "Learn more" button. The site has been so considerate of us mere non-paying users and ingeniously changed it to a flashing "Join now" button. They seem to have changed the banner colour too. THANK YOU! That's such an improvement!

I too was a happy paying member for years, sometimes eagerly making suggestions for raising the level of professionalism (some were even implemented). But some of us don't count. Their interests lie elsewhere. They want numbers. A professional environment is not high on their list. I suppose that's legit, but they should state it somewhere. "Pro" suggests sth. different.

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
writeaway
Bernhard Sulzer
Christel Zipfel
Jennifer Levey
Barbara Carrara

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it. Jun 28, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Or we could add sound effects

Indeed. Maybe the jingle from an ice cream van? Also every 4 seconds. That'd be so special and inviting.

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Worse still Jun 28, 2023

Worse still is that the banner covers half the screen when you access the desktop site from a mobile, as I usually do, making it near-impossible do anything.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
6 major website design sins Jun 29, 2023

Here's a little list of things a website designer should avoid.
(You could put an 'x' on matches for the Proz site )

https://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/6614/online_business/the_top_6_website_sins.html

[ ] Sin #1
Slow loading
... See more
Here's a little list of things a website designer should avoid.
(You could put an 'x' on matches for the Proz site )

https://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/6614/online_business/the_top_6_website_sins.html

[ ] Sin #1
Slow loading

[ ] Sin #2
Poor layout

[ ] Sin #3
Awful color schemes

[ ] Sin #4
Poor spelling and grammar

[ ] Sin #5
Flashing graphics
Banners or logos that flash, spin, fade in and out and/or perform any other gimmick
are a no go area. Don't use them. Flashing banners and logos say
'I've never put together a website before. Cool, huh?'

[ ] Sin #6
Hit counters
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Wolfgang Schoene

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whew! TGIO Jul 1, 2023

Thank God it's over.

I hope everyone survived. What a relief!

I still think an ice-cream jingle would have been appropriate.

Thrive
C

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maybe disable the flashing "Learn more" button on the banner at the top of every page?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »