Thread poster: patyjs
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:53
English
+ ...
I explain the terms on my profile. Jan 30, 2008

Since there seems to be so much confusion about the differences between proofreading and various levels or types of editing, I placed an explanation on my profile. My definitions may not be those of someone else, but I make clear what those terms mean to me. I hope that prospective clients will then be able to determine for themselves, after reading my explanation, whether they need proofreading, editing or even rewriting.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't re-translate....send it back (rejected translation) Jan 31, 2008

If someone asks you to "proofread" a document, and you discover that it is so bad that it actually needs a re-translation, then SEND IT BACK! Tell the client/agency: "In my opinion, this document is so badly translated that it cannot be proofread (yet). It needs to be re-translated. I can do this for you (for a different price, of course) OR you can get someone else to do it; not the original translator, as he/she/it (=done by a machine?) is patently not competent. When you solve the problem of ... See more
If someone asks you to "proofread" a document, and you discover that it is so bad that it actually needs a re-translation, then SEND IT BACK! Tell the client/agency: "In my opinion, this document is so badly translated that it cannot be proofread (yet). It needs to be re-translated. I can do this for you (for a different price, of course) OR you can get someone else to do it; not the original translator, as he/she/it (=done by a machine?) is patently not competent. When you solve the problem of the badly-done translation part of the project, come and see me again about the final revisions/proofreading."

You should not be paid for one type of work and then be expected to finish someone else's shoddy translation! Not worth it!!

I agree with the earlier posting (Victoria's I think) that AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME IS AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME, REGARDLESS. But I also concede that many (most? all?) agencies don't work like this and have different rates for different tasks.

I haven't read thon article yet, but I will when I get time, as I find the whole topic fascinating (showing my anorak qualities now...) and I am fairly surprised by how much confusion there is out there.

I also realise now that many people get quite excitable or irritated by this subject, almost as much as the question of rates...

But everyone should be aware that 'proofreading' on a professional basis (i.e. making a living ENTIRELY from this type of work) is perfectly possible. They even have their own organisation:

http://www.sfep.org.uk/ ,which you can check out if interested.

Finally, on a lighter note, for those of you who have read my tuppence ha'penny on this subject matter (which I would defend BTW), I hope someone had the human decency to 'proofread' it for me...... ) )

[Editor's note: 'thon' = 'that' in Ulster Scots]

Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:53
Spanish
+ ...
Charging by the hour and establishing the type of work that needs to be done Jan 31, 2008

Independently of using the correct terms, the thing is to know exactly what the client wants because each one has a different way of doing things and sometimes clients don't know how this works. To avoid any surprise, I ask my clients to be very specific when it comes to proofreading/editing and always charge by the hour.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:53
English to French
+ ...
It is not up to the client to tell you how much your services are worth Jan 31, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

I agree with the earlier posting (Victoria's I think) that AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME IS AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME, REGARDLESS. But I also concede that many (most? all?) agencies don't work like this and have different rates for different tasks.

I agree that agencies do have their own price structures - and as long as freelancers abide by these, they will too often get peanuts for standard or superstandard work, which makes absolutely no business sense. I refuse to work with people who say "This is MY rate - take it or leave it". I am the ONLY person who can determine how much an hour of my time is worth and I will never accept that the people who pay me decide how much they want to pay me.

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Independently of using the correct terms, the thing is to know exactly what the client wants because each one has a different way of doing things and sometimes clients don't know how this works. To avoid any surprise, I ask my clients to be very specific when it comes to proofreading/editing and always charge by the hour.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are so many different types of services (I can't even call them "types" because there really are services that are unique and customized to the client's needs - and then again, there are very specific requirements and needs on the client's end) that it is impossible to put them all in the same two baskets. I agree that it is best to first help the client define their needs as specifically as possible, and then evaluate what it will take to offer it to them. Then, you will know how much it is worth and how you should charge for the service.

[Edited at 2008-01-31 16:37]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does a proof-reader actually do?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »