Thread poster: sabrino
sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:53
French to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 9, 2014

Over this weekend, I received two documents to compare again, one the original translation, which is good, and the reviewed document with full of changes with the evaluation of the translation commented by him as 'poor translation, too many mistakes', the agency suspected if the translation was really so bad or to see what was wrong in it. After several pages only, I found out that this reviewer was fraudster by changing tautological changes (therefore, the reviewer is ALWAYS correct, has no ri... See more
Over this weekend, I received two documents to compare again, one the original translation, which is good, and the reviewed document with full of changes with the evaluation of the translation commented by him as 'poor translation, too many mistakes', the agency suspected if the translation was really so bad or to see what was wrong in it. After several pages only, I found out that this reviewer was fraudster by changing tautological changes (therefore, the reviewer is ALWAYS correct, has no risk of making any mistakes) and by not reading the source but changing the good translation by whatever way he wanted. As this was automotive text terms such as sun roof was changed by the fraudster, even wrongly, to 'ceiling', passive mode was changed to active mode (another example of tautological change by only syntactial change), showing general lack of industry knowledge by even changing correct word logistics, which is transliterated in Japanese, into wrong word, distribution. Then for basic terms, the trick went on to change selection to choice, and many other trivial particle changes which require syntax changes to mean the same. The fraudster knows that any changes he makes will generate a correct target document after all. To exclude this kind of too frequent fraud by layman Japanese, who claim to be reviewers, some tactics would include:
1. scatter mistakes on purpose in the translation especially for long senteces, or about 2% of the total, which will be statistically significant to see if reviewer reads the source or not. Without reading the source, the mistakes on purpose can not be fixed.
2. oblige to sign an agreement in reviewing by clauses such as no payment if no reading the source is proven, obligation to state reason why his change is necessary and no reason such as unnatural target sentences is not accepted, especially because the Japanese is tribal language and how it can be natural or unnatural depends largely on subjective perception. The perception gap may not be justified in this case. For example, letting justify a change by statistical frequency of occurrence by search engine results to prove a legitimacy of the changed wording.

But in this case I took over this weekend, the fraud is proven with even worse changes. The entire document looks like a hard work by the fraudster.
This is shame and unfair for ordinary reviewers.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:53
French to English
hmm, littering a text with mistakes to see if the reviewer picked them up? Mar 9, 2014

could do I suppose but you do need to remember to remove them again before delivery!

I did that at one point when I was working with a student who had to proof my work. She didn't feel that she was legitimate in the role, since I had that much more experience than her. I told her that I personally had learnt a lot from proofreading work by more experienced translators and that I knew very well that there could be small typos, especially those the spell check wouldn't pick up. She wa
... See more
could do I suppose but you do need to remember to remove them again before delivery!

I did that at one point when I was working with a student who had to proof my work. She didn't feel that she was legitimate in the role, since I had that much more experience than her. I told her that I personally had learnt a lot from proofreading work by more experienced translators and that I knew very well that there could be small typos, especially those the spell check wouldn't pick up. She was a little in awe of me (a curious experience for me) and she always said it was just perfect. I then hit on introducing errors on purpose. I told her what I had done but didn't tell her how many errors there were, so then she looked far more carefully at my work.
Collapse

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Are you an agency or freelancer? Mar 11, 2014

I also have my work proofread by others or clients and they change my words for its synonyms, in such case, it is preference or style difference between regions. Some words may be more used or familiar in this place but not in another place.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese review fraud

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »