Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:37
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Post-editing Oct 28, 2011

This is editing machine translated text.

You need to, of course, use the client's TM during the editing process so that they can keep your corrections to improve their future MT-projects.

[Edited at 2011-10-28 12:35 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There is plenty of discussion in this forum Oct 28, 2011

... if you have time to read it!

Here is a good thread for a start:

http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/133180-machine_translation_postediting_translators_views_needed.html

Don't agree to do post-editing unless you know what you are letting yourself in f
... See more
... if you have time to read it!

Here is a good thread for a start:

http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/133180-machine_translation_postediting_translators_views_needed.html

Don't agree to do post-editing unless you know what you are letting yourself in for.... You have to understand what it is and what it is not, and agree to suitable payment terms.

If you jump in thinking it is something like proofing human translation, you may get a shock. I'm not against MT, but I have not seen a lot of good results in my language pairs.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Or in mine Oct 28, 2011

Christine Andersen wrote:

If you jump in thinking it is something like proofing human translation, you may get a shock. I'm not against MT, but I have not seen a lot of good results in my language pairs.

And it often happens that, in case the machine doesn't know a particular term, you will find untranslated text or sometimes the MT is filled with "first-pick" translations, that is, when there are more than one translations and meanings possible, the machine just picks one, perhaps the first one to come up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Post-editing?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »