Thread poster: Siham Gaiz (X)
Siham Gaiz (X)
Siham Gaiz (X)
Morocco
Local time: 07:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 29, 2011

I received a job offer to work as an editor. As a test, they asked me to edit two versions of the translation made by two different translators and write my assessment. What is the best way to insert the modifications?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natalya Sogolovsky
Natalya Sogolovsky  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:36
Member (2010)
Hebrew to Russian
+ ...
There are 2 options, Sep 29, 2011

I think.
The first is to ask the potential employer in what form it would be convenient for him to receive the edited files. Who could resist answering such a question if you only care about the employer's convenience ?
The second is to do it in Word with the "track changes" on.

Good luck with your new job!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Track changes Sep 29, 2011

NataSogo wrote:
do it in Word with the "track changes" on.

If the text is in a Word document, I would suggest to the client that you do it using that option, as this would be "normal" and proves that you know something about what you are doing (;-))

If it's a PDF, I hear there are things you can do (post-its?), but I don't really know enough about them.

Sheila

Siham Gaiz (X)
Siham Gaiz (X)
Morocco
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"track changes" Sep 29, 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is a word document. I will opt for "track changes".

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:36
German to Slovenian
+ ...
"post-its" in pdf Sep 29, 2011

If it's a PDF, I hear there are things you can do (post-its?), but I don't really know enough about them.

They really do look like "post-its", kind of , but in case somebody would like to use them, usually they can be found under the option "insert comment" or by clicking the icon tha
... See more

They really do look like "post-its", kind of , but in case somebody would like to use them, usually they can be found under the option "insert comment" or by clicking the icon that is shaped like a comic book text bubble.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:36
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Avoid 'post-its' and editing in PDF files if possible... Sep 29, 2011

GerSi wrote:

They really do look like "post-its", kind of , but in case somebody would like to use them, usually they can be found under the option "insert comment" or by clicking the icon that is shaped like a comic book text bubble.

PDFs were originally designed for security, and intended to be difficult or impossible to edit! They are useful for invoices, contracts, exam. certificates and so on...

Although there are ways of editing them, they are a pain in the neck (or the other end of the spine...) to edit.
If you ever do have to use them, and it may be necessary for a final layout proof or similar, then insist on being paid by the hour, and allow plenty of time.

Otherwise I try to educate clients and get hold of editable formats - anything but PDFs! Explaining, charging top rates, or simply refusing the job when you are not in the mood... use every means available!

I plead mouse injury sometimes, because that is the only job that ever gives me a pain in the wrist due to over-use of the mouse.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks for the translation Sep 29, 2011

GerSi wrote:
they can be found under the option "insert comment" or by clicking the icon that is shaped like a comic book text bubble.

Thank you for putting the right words to the technique!

I already do what Christine advocates, i.e. I avoid PDFs like the plague, but then I'm a bit weak on the technology side of our industry. I may have started out in life as a programmer, but that was in the days of punched tape, punched cards and paper. Almost impossible to believe now, but not even computer programmers had a computer in those days! We didn't even have access to a monitor and keyboard when I started, then later we were given two to share between about 35 programmers.

Sorry, that's completely off-topic. I'm rambling... ignore me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First time to edit

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »