Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What to do when you can't find any mistakes?
Thread poster: Seth Visscher
Seth Visscher
Seth Visscher
Netherlands
Local time: 01:31
English to Dutch
Aug 14, 2011

So.. I am proofreading for a client, and the text I am reading is literally flawless. I have read it three times now, and even though I do not agree on his style sometimes, it is really good. However, I agreed on a price per word, so I am kinda worried that my client will think I was just lazy. What do you usually do in these situations?

Right now I have read about 10,000 words, and all I could find was a space behind a dot, at the end of a paragraph.

Edit: One more que
... See more
So.. I am proofreading for a client, and the text I am reading is literally flawless. I have read it three times now, and even though I do not agree on his style sometimes, it is really good. However, I agreed on a price per word, so I am kinda worried that my client will think I was just lazy. What do you usually do in these situations?

Right now I have read about 10,000 words, and all I could find was a space behind a dot, at the end of a paragraph.

Edit: One more question; Did this ever happen to you/is this common?

[Edited at 2011-08-14 18:27 GMT]
Collapse

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
* Aug 14, 2011

SamuelVisscher wrote:

Edit: One more question; Did this ever happen to you/is this common?

[Edited at 2011-08-14 18:27 GMT]

is it translation or what? maybe it makes sense to compare against the original text to search for some meaning mistakes, eh?

Seth Visscher
Seth Visscher
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 14, 2011

I am comparing the source document with the translation, since that is part of the job.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am doing proofreading and I am proofreading a translation.

[Edited at 2011-08-14 18:32 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nothing Aug 14, 2011

Your job is to ensure the text is as good as possible, and finding mistakes is just a means to an end. The goal is achieved. You can mention the space to show you've read the text and congratulate the client on having such a great translator.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Change to hourly rate Aug 14, 2011

Hi Samuel,

The fairest thing would be to agree an hourly rate with the client and praise their choice of translator.
And no, it's not something I come across often, particularly at that volume.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I sing Händel's Hallelujah Aug 14, 2011

Yes, be thankful and rejoice!

Seriously, the client is paying you per word, not per error or typo; there's no reason why he should think you're lazy.
Whenever that happens to me, I write to the client that the translation was excellent, and please, congratulate the translator from me.
Clients are usually happy to have a flawless job by a very good translator, plus the "blessing" by a very good proofreader. It's a win-win situation.

Do not worry, and good luc
... See more

Seriously, the client is paying you per word, not per error or typo; there's no reason why he should think you're lazy.
Whenever that happens to me, I write to the client that the translation was excellent, and please, congratulate the translator from me.
Clients are usually happy to have a flawless job by a very good translator, plus the "blessing" by a very good proofreader. It's a win-win situation.

Do not worry, and good luck with your further proofreading endeavours!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
That's easy Aug 14, 2011

You simply say the translation is of excellent quality, that it is flawless, that the translator did a great job and that is was a pleasure to work on this project.

SamuelVisscher wrote:
However, I agreed on a price per word, so I am kinda worried that my client will think I was just lazy. What do you usually do in these situations?

It is exactly this misconception why many good translations are messed up by the proofreader, who for whatever reason feels compelled to rewrite the entire thing, for fear "he/she might look lazy". Which is nonsense. There is no such thing as an "error quota" that a proofreader has to fulfill (like police officers writing hilarious tickets to generate money for the city... )

At a wonderful agency client of mine, translators are paired up in permanent teams and they will proofread each other's translations on a regular basis. My translator partner and I have turned this into a sport: We aim NOT to find anything and we compliment each other on our work. Now, THAT is a method how to make your client happy, not by creating extra work for all parties.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
If there is nothing worng, there is nothing wrong. Aug 14, 2011

missdutch wrote:

Do not worry, and good luck with your further proofreading endeavours!

Agree!

Nicole Schnell wrote:

You simply say the translation is of excellent quality, that it is flawless, that the translator did a great job and that is was a pleasure to work on this project.

Agree!

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Your job is to ensure the text is as good as possible, and finding mistakes is just a means to an end. The goal is achieved. You can mention the space to show you've read the text and congratulate the client on having such a great translator.

Ditto.

Seth Visscher
Seth Visscher
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 14, 2011

Thank you all for the quick reactions!

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
This is what you're paid for Aug 14, 2011

You're paid to check the text (and makes changes if required).
Just imagine for a second if, let's say, a car maker stopped paying its quality assurance personnel because its car were flawless...
It's almost like an insurance for your client. They pay to cover themselves against the risk of mispellings and other mistakes, whether they materialize or not.

[Edited at 2011-08-14 19:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-08-14 19:33 GMT]

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
answered your own question? Aug 14, 2011

SamuelVisscher wrote:

I have read it three times now, and even though I do not agree on his style sometimes, it is really good.

I'd change the style I don't agree with. Of course I'd tell the client the translation was really good, too.

Elzbieta Petlicka (X)
Elzbieta Petlicka (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Proofreading or Editing? Aug 14, 2011

If you are comparing the translation with the original, isn't that editing and not proofreading?

I'm asking just from curiosity - I just heard several times that some agencies abuse the fact that people don't differentiate between these two and order an editing job at proofreading rates - but maybe I'm wrong.

And I would definitely inform the client that the translation was flawless - 10k without a typo doesn't happen often ...
See more
If you are comparing the translation with the original, isn't that editing and not proofreading?

I'm asking just from curiosity - I just heard several times that some agencies abuse the fact that people don't differentiate between these two and order an editing job at proofreading rates - but maybe I'm wrong.

And I would definitely inform the client that the translation was flawless - 10k without a typo doesn't happen often and the client should know about it.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why? Aug 14, 2011

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

I'd change the style I don't agree with. Of course I'd tell the client the translation was really good, too.

This is exactly what the proofreader is not supposed to do. The proofreader is paid to fix errors, nothing else. Changing the style based on personal preferences is a no-no. Who is to decide which style is "better"?

Seth Visscher
Seth Visscher
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Proofreading Aug 14, 2011

Elzbieta, to be honest I wouldn't know. I do not like to base everything on the "official" definition of a word so I always ask for a more specific description. In this case I have to check for spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes. I am only allowed to bother with translation if I see big mistakes.

And yes, I agree with Nicole. I wouldn't like -or think it's fair- if another translator was telling my client that my translation is worse because of his personal preferences.

Rebelo Júnior
Rebelo Júnior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree with Nicole Aug 14, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

This is exactly what the proofreader is not supposed to do. The proofreader is paid to fix errors, nothing else. Changing the style based on personal preferences is a no-no. Who is to decide which style is "better"?

If you find a very good job done by a fellow translator, you DO NOT reinvent the wheel.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when you can't find any mistakes?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »