Thread poster: Hannele Marttila
Hannele Marttila
Hannele Marttila  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
Finnish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2011

Anybody have any experience of rates in this area? (http://www.badlanguage.net/translation-vs-transcreation) Hourly rate seems best, but this is really creative work... fitting say a strapline in one language to another, keeping the general gist of the original intact while creating a culturally apt alternative.
Any ideas??
hannele

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
An overall price Mar 16, 2011

I prefer to quote an overall price based on an hourly rate, but adjusted to take account of the end use and potential value to the client.

For one client I boiled this down to a per-word rate. Over a series of press releases, the proportion of straight text to strap-line was pretty constant, so this posed no problem. But clients do need to understand that not all words have the same value.

Alison

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't understand the "but" Mar 16, 2011

hannelekristina wrote:
Hourly rate seems best, but this is really creative work...

I don't see how "hourly" and "creative" are supposed to contradict each other. Hourly rates for freelance copywriters start at three digit dollar rates per hour - if the copy is written and developed from scratch. For transcreation I usually charge a flat fee for each project. It is nearly impossible to measure creativity by rate per word.

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-03-16 17:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcreation rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »