Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
United States
Local time: 20:10
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2011

I have a question about whether or not one should change numbers when translating documents. What I mean is as follows:

I do translation mostly from Japanese to English. On technical documents I will often have a chart with lots of numbers in it. When you are using a Japanese IME, the numbers generally come out in full-width alphanumeric characters 全数字(8) as opposed to half-width 半数字(8). When the whole document is translated into English, the full-width characters tha
... See more
I have a question about whether or not one should change numbers when translating documents. What I mean is as follows:

I do translation mostly from Japanese to English. On technical documents I will often have a chart with lots of numbers in it. When you are using a Japanese IME, the numbers generally come out in full-width alphanumeric characters 全数字(8) as opposed to half-width 半数字(8). When the whole document is translated into English, the full-width characters that were inputed with the Japanese IME look a little out of place. Is it my responsibility to go through and change them all?
Collapse

English2Korean
English2Korean  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:10
Member (2008)
English to Korean
+ ...
I think so. Feb 21, 2011

In case of CJK(Chnise, Japanese and Korean), the characters of their own are full-size(全数字). In this context, they have other full-size charactes found in the Roman alphabet system, such as punctuation marks, Arabic numbers and Roman alphabets themselves!!!

As you don't use the full-size Roman alphabets in English, I don't think you can use the full-size marks or Arabic numbers in English.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:10
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Correct Feb 22, 2011

English2Korean wrote:

In case of CJK(Chnise, Japanese and Korean), the characters of their own are full-size(全数字). In this context, they have other full-size charactes found in the Roman alphabet system, such as punctuation marks, Arabic numbers and Roman alphabets themselves!!!

As you don't use the full-size Roman alphabets in English, I don't think you can use the full-size marks or Arabic numbers in English.

Like English2Korean wrote above, full size (全角文字)cannot be used on English and other western language documents where the characters are all 半角文字. If I'm not mistaken, they would be garbled (文字化け), unless the other user has a Japanese OS installed. This generally applies to Word and Excel format, but if you are delivering a PDF file, that's an exception.

Tanguy Przybylski
Tanguy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Yes Feb 22, 2011

I remember facing big troubles when I forget to change some 全角 into 半角.

If you are using some TM like trados and you forget some signs or digit, you may face some errors during the cleaning of the documents.

As Yasumoto Kanazawa wrote too, European word and excel (especially the old version) will not even recognize thee 全角.

I hope this will help

Allyson Sigman
Allyson Sigman
United States
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 23, 2011

This makes a lot of sense, thank you. I have had the Japanese language pack on my computer for so long I forgot that not everyone does.

One related question, if you don't mind. Is it the same for letters? If I have some words that are written in English like 「SPEC」should I change it to "SPEC"? Will this also get messed up if the person doesn't have the language pack?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
Yes Feb 23, 2011

allysonroad wrote:

This makes a lot of sense, thank you. I have had the Japanese language pack on my computer for so long I forgot that not everyone does.

One related question, if you don't mind. Is it the same for letters? If I have some words that are written in English like 「SPEC」should I change it to "SPEC"? Will this also get messed up if the person doesn't have the language pack?

I’d say you definitely need to change these as well.

Actually you never actually needed the full language pack to display full-width characters; you just need the right fonts. So they shouldn’t actually look garbled; but they either will look unprofessional (since the spacing will be completely wrong) or they will show up as blanks or some other placeholder character.

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Japanese to English
Definitely: YES Jul 29, 2011

YES, most definitely you need to change all 全角 characters to 半角.

That being said, if you are using Word (i.e. TRADOS 2007(or some other CAT tool) and producing bilingual MSWord (.doc) documents), then I have created a Word macro that goes through the document and identifies/highlights all 全角文字. I created for precisely this situation, because I always find stray numbers or punctuation that is 全角, and it was a pain trying to find them in large documents!

... See more
YES, most definitely you need to change all 全角 characters to 半角.

That being said, if you are using Word (i.e. TRADOS 2007(or some other CAT tool) and producing bilingual MSWord (.doc) documents), then I have created a Word macro that goes through the document and identifies/highlights all 全角文字. I created for precisely this situation, because I always find stray numbers or punctuation that is 全角, and it was a pain trying to find them in large documents!

If you like I can give you the macro as an Add-in for Word so you can use it...? Right now, it only finds and highlights 全角文字, and then I have to change them manually...however, I think I can modify the macro to substitute the equivalent 半角文字 for each character...(that's an excellent idea). It would take a few days/maybe a week to code and debug, but let me know if you think it is something you want to use!

You can see the code for this macro on the new Web site I am building, here:
http://transl8tools.mlgrant.com/index.php/vba-code-category/44-finddbcs

By the way, don't forget that there are 半角 forms of Hiragana/Katakana also! The macro can identify these as well!

MGrant

[Edited at 2011-07-29 05:39 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the size of numbers: 全数字 to 半数字

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »