Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 1, 2009

Hi all,

Purely just to share this experience.

I have been approached today with a job for QA check. 250 words at a fixed price of £6.50.
As if that wasn't bad enough, I was asked to send back three documents: 2 word docs (one with track changes and one with abbreviations) and the completed QA.
By abbreviations they mean WT (Wrong Term), WS (Wrong Sentence), SE (Syntax Error), etc. inserted wherever I make a correction. QA is an Excell sheet where you nee
... See more
Hi all,

I have been approached today with a job for QA check. 250 words at a fixed price of £6.50.
As if that wasn't bad enough, I was asked to send back three documents: 2 word docs (one with track changes and one with abbreviations) and the completed QA.
By abbreviations they mean WT (Wrong Term), WS (Wrong Sentence), SE (Syntax Error), etc. inserted wherever I make a correction. QA is an Excell sheet where you need to enter number of each of the mistakes and whether you classify them as minor, major or critical.
Don't you think this kind of job/service should be valued a little more?

:~)))
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:28
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Certainly, it is a lot of work to achieve in 7 to 8 minutes Jul 1, 2009

EUR 6.50 only covers (or should cover) about 7 to 8 minutes of a translator's time. In addition, even if the work is achievable in this time, this amount does not really include either the ink or the paper to print off the 3 documents, nor does it cover the cost of storing those papers, as well as the correspondence and invoice, for 6 years (documents) and 10 years (invoice), as required by the tax office.

It is therefore not a case of valuing or not valuing the service provided. If
... See more
EUR 6.50 only covers (or should cover) about 7 to 8 minutes of a translator's time. In addition, even if the work is achievable in this time, this amount does not really include either the ink or the paper to print off the 3 documents, nor does it cover the cost of storing those papers, as well as the correspondence and invoice, for 6 years (documents) and 10 years (invoice), as required by the tax office.

It is therefore not a case of valuing or not valuing the service provided. If you do not charge a minimum fee - or the agency does not agree to pay you a minimum fee - you will make a loss. We are, however, not in business in order to make a loss.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:28
Spanish
+ ...
"inserted wherever I make a correction" Jul 1, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:

Hi all,

By abbreviations they mean WT (Wrong Term), WS (Wrong Sentence), SE (Syntax Error), etc. inserted wherever I make a correction. QA is an Excell sheet where you need to enter number of each of the mistakes and whether you classify them as minor, major or critical.
Don't you think this kind of job/service should be valued a little more?

:~)))

If the translation was crowdsourced, that would be a full translation anyway.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not enough pay Jul 1, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:
I have been approached today with a job for QA check. 250 words at a fixed price of £6.50. As if that wasn't bad enough, I was asked to send back three documents: 2 word docs (one with track changes and one with abbreviations) and the completed QA. By abbreviations they mean WT (Wrong Term), WS (Wrong Sentence), SE (Syntax Error), etc. inserted wherever I make a correction. QA is an Excell sheet where you need to enter number of each of the mistakes and whether you classify them as minor, major or critical.

GBP 6.50 covers 19 minutes of my time. Not enough to do QA of 250 words in an Excel sheet the way you describe. I would not do it for less than an hour's pay. It is also rather hard on your wrist -- all that selecting of options in Excel. I may be able to QA 250 words in 19 minutes if I only need to use Track Changes and/or add inline comments in MS Word, but even then it must be a pretty good translation.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I mean Jul 1, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
GBP 6.50 covers 19 minutes of my time. Not enough to do QA of 250 words in an Excel sheet the way you describe. I would not do it for less than an hour's pay. It is also rather hard on your wrist -- all that selecting of options in Excel. I may be able to QA 250 words in 19 minutes if I only need to use Track Changes and/or add inline comments in MS Word, but even then it must be a pretty good translation.

First, you have to do proofreading with "Track Changes". Then, to do another 'proofreading' seperately, to insert abbreviations indicating type of mistake. And then, to complete a table in Excel to classify types of mistakes.
I don't know, but I would estimate this whole process (with just 250 words) would take well over an hour.

[Edited at 2009-07-01 21:40 GMT]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:28
English to French
+ ...
Wrong rate, and... Jul 2, 2009

Beside the fact that the rate is extremely low considering the task and its duration, I just can't understand why they are making such a mess out of this. The good thing is that if they are making such a mess, that means they care about quality. I'd rather work with such people (provided I get paid a fair rate for it). I would charge my minimum rate for this in any case...

Haven't these people heard of ApSic Comparator? It would provide the same result, but it would be much faster,
... See more
Beside the fact that the rate is extremely low considering the task and its duration, I just can't understand why they are making such a mess out of this. The good thing is that if they are making such a mess, that means they care about quality. I'd rather work with such people (provided I get paid a fair rate for it). I would charge my minimum rate for this in any case...

Haven't these people heard of ApSic Comparator? It would provide the same result, but it would be much faster, easier and more foolproof. You would edit the bilingual document directly and then create a comparison report (which only shows segments that have changes and highlights those changes - takes only a few seconds). There is a column in there to add codes, and you can add as many columns as you like to suit the project's needs.

And there are other tools and methods available that would make things much easier for everybody. Why all this torture?

[Edited at 2009-07-02 19:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA Check

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »