advice on uk master's
Thread poster: iriniaristot
iriniaristot
iriniaristot
United Kingdom
Mar 13, 2014

Hi all,
I could really use some advice before I choose a master's programme.
I am a native greek living in London and I am facing a dilemma.
Should I go for a more "traditional" translation MA or choose
"translation studies with intercultural communication"? My problem is
that I don't really understand the job prospects of the second MA and
I'm afraid it might be just a fancy title. Can anyone please shed some light?

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
Swedish to English
+ ...
Translation Studies Mar 14, 2014

"Translation studies" usually, but not always, means studying translation from a theoretical and comparative point of view, and the translation of literature rather than business documents. I did such an MA a few years ago. It was very interesting, but not vocational.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
compare the module descriptions Mar 14, 2014

Not just between the two titles of the program, but also between the programs at the relevant universities.
The latter tends to have more substantial consideration of areas, such as tourism, politics and journalism.
The fundamental concept of intercultural communication is that our culture has a major impact, or even determines entirely, how we understand, receive or pass on messages.
I haven't studied either of these, but my guess would be that it includes things like
... See more
Not just between the two titles of the program, but also between the programs at the relevant universities.
The latter tends to have more substantial consideration of areas, such as tourism, politics and journalism.
The fundamental concept of intercultural communication is that our culture has a major impact, or even determines entirely, how we understand, receive or pass on messages.
I haven't studied either of these, but my guess would be that it includes things like
diversity training, communication in a multi-cultural/multi-lingual environment, possibly globalisation and international organisations. This would not necessarily be aspects applicable only to the field of translation, but rather to dealing with people from a different background and how things you may write or say (irrespective of this being a translated or the original text/speech) are understood differently depending on the other party's background.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
My two penn'orth Mar 14, 2014

I studied a language + intercultural studies, though not in London.

From the University's point of view, this is a way packing a course with modules from any other course where there is a vague overlap and reducing direct teaching time in the core subject.

It does make for a more varied and interesting experience though and, without it, I personally doubt whether I would have acquired all the background knowledge about my source language country that is essential to bec
... See more

From the University's point of view, this is a way packing a course with modules from any other course where there is a vague overlap and reducing direct teaching time in the core subject.

It does make for a more varied and interesting experience though and, without it, I personally doubt whether I would have acquired all the background knowledge about my source language country that is essential to becoming an established translator.

I also doubt whether the choice is a serious factor as regards job prospects, apart from how it affects your ability to perform, either as a freelancer or as an employee.
Collapse

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
It truly is Mar 14, 2014

Russell Jones wrote:

It does make for a more varied and interesting experience though and, without it, I personally doubt whether I would have acquired all the background knowledge about my source language country that is essential to becoming an established translator.

I also doubt whether the choice is a serious factor as regards job prospects, apart from how it affects your ability to perform, either as a freelancer or as an employee.

I dont study for an MA but for a degree in pharmacy and medicine right now. It really affects my work in some ways so I think you have to consider how it affect your work time and capacity too.

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
IT content Mar 14, 2014

I would also suggest seeing what, if any, training they provide on translation technology. I did a Masters at Imperial College and it included several modules on CAT tools which I found very useful when it came to choosing one for my professional use. In addition to the theory, there was a practical translation element every single week, focusing on technical areas such as science, technology and healthcare, all of which are topics I routinely translate now.

I also agree with Peter
... See more
I would also suggest seeing what, if any, training they provide on translation technology. I did a Masters at Imperial College and it included several modules on CAT tools which I found very useful when it came to choosing one for my professional use. In addition to the theory, there was a practical translation element every single week, focusing on technical areas such as science, technology and healthcare, all of which are topics I routinely translate now.

I also agree with Peter - my course included modules such as "history of translation" which, whilst very interesting, were not vocational and included essay-style examinations which I have never enjoyed!
Collapse

Maeva Cifuentes
Maeva Cifuentes  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:50
French to English
+ ...
Go for EMT approved translation programme Mar 14, 2014

Hi,
The translation and intercultural studies, like a poster above me mentioned, is not vocational. You will learn very interesting things about the theories of translation but they won't be very practical for you if you intend to pursue a career in translation. Why don't you check out an EMT approved programme? There are many in the UK.

iriniaristot
iriniaristot
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks! Mar 16, 2014

thank you all so much for your useful inputs. I've been taking a closer look at the modules of these programmes, by the way they are both offered by the same university. It seems that the compulsory modules of the translational studies MA, such as Translating Issues and Translating Cultures, are offered as optional on the translation MA and some of its optional modules, such as Economics/business translation and Scientific/medical translation are compulsory on the translation MA and also doubl... See more
thank you all so much for your useful inputs. I've been taking a closer look at the modules of these programmes, by the way they are both offered by the same university. It seems that the compulsory modules of the translational studies MA, such as Translating Issues and Translating Cultures, are offered as optional on the translation MA and some of its optional modules, such as Economics/business translation and Scientific/medical translation are compulsory on the translation MA and also double. But the translation studies does not offer a CAT module. So the Translation MA will be my first choice, it's also one of the EMT.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on uk master's

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »