Local time: 07:28
عضو (2013)
ياباني إلى أنجليزي
Sep 28, 2013

Looking to boost my Japanese to English translation business-

* ProX membership .... check
* 25 years' experience .... check
* Trados Studio ..... check
* professional qualification ..... er, not yet.

Does some kind Prozzer have an idea about a qualification which is attractive to translation agencies?

Hopefully I will get points for being-
1. a very mature student
2. already doing the job
So it needs to be quick and
... See more
Looking to boost my Japanese to English translation business-

* ProX membership .... check
* 25 years' experience .... check
* Trados Studio ..... check
* professional qualification ..... er, not yet.

Does some kind Prozzer have an idea about a qualification which is attractive to translation agencies?

Hopefully I will get points for being-
1. a very mature student
2. already doing the job
So it needs to be quick and easy to get.

Yes, 30 years ago I would have signed up for years of fulltime study.
But not now....

rgds,
m@
Collapse

Jeanie Eldon
Jeanie Eldon  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 05:28
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Dip Trans Sep 28, 2013

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

I see that you are UK based, so I'd recommend the Diploma in Translation. It is organized by the Chartered Institute of Linguists and you can prepare in your own time and then sit the exam at an exam centre nearest to you or in London. Some colleges also run Dip Trans Preparation courses. It is widely recognized
... See more
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

I see that you are UK based, so I'd recommend the Diploma in Translation. It is organized by the Chartered Institute of Linguists and you can prepare in your own time and then sit the exam at an exam centre nearest to you or in London. Some colleges also run Dip Trans Preparation courses. It is widely recognized as a translation qualification.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 06:28
عضو (2004)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
DipTrans and MITI Sep 28, 2013

As Jeanie mentions, the DipTrans is a good option if you are UK based. Another possibility is becoming an MITI (exam-qualified member of the ITI).

I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago and looking for a new challenge, so I decided to sit both exams. For a comparison
... See more
As Jeanie mentions, the DipTrans is a good option if you are UK based. Another possibility is becoming an MITI (exam-qualified member of the ITI).

I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago and looking for a new challenge, so I decided to sit both exams. For a comparison of the two, check out my blog post here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/06/11/diptrans-miti/
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

about time I got a qualification

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »