Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever been a victim of job ghosting?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Turcja
Local time: 08:24
Członek ProZ.com
od 2018

włoski > turecki
+ ...
no offense Jun 14, 2023

No offense intended, but the prospect of a future with such language (something-ghosting) deeply unnerves me.

Alexandra Speirs
Nikolay Novitskiy

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 07:24
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Not quite our field Jun 15, 2023

I find several authoritative articles and reports on the web about job ghosting (and it really is a trend), but all of those articles relate to people seeking permanent employment from companies, where there is a recruiter and a hiring manager and a hiring process and multiple interviews.

I read in a number of reports that 1/3 of candidates who thought that they were ghosted were "ghosted" at the very, very first stage of the hiring process (which isn't really "ghosting", in my op
... See more
I find several authoritative articles and reports on the web about job ghosting (and it really is a trend), but all of those articles relate to people seeking permanent employment from companies, where there is a recruiter and a hiring manager and a hiring process and multiple interviews.

I read in a number of reports that 1/3 of candidates who thought that they were ghosted were "ghosted" at the very, very first stage of the hiring process (which isn't really "ghosting", in my opinion), but almost half of candidates say they were ghosted after an interview (this is the trend, at least in the US).

However, none of that relates to freelance translators (which most of us are). It's far more common for us (and our clients) to break off contact at the very first stages of the process, and when it happens, it's not a sign that something is "wrong" with either the client or the translator.

That said, one thing that applies to job ghosting also applies to us (and which relates to a skill that young translators should learn): most people who ghost, actually have good intent... they ghost because they don't know how to communicate properly. E.g. young job seekers who ghost recruiters do so because they don't want to disappoint the recruiter with a "no" answer, or because they don't know how to communicate politely that they are no longer interested in the job.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
Yes but Jun 15, 2023

Yes but with time you learn the language of job ghosters, and then don’t respond to their initial inquiry.

Nikolay Novitskiy

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2020

francuski > niderlandzki
+ ...
Problem? Jun 15, 2023

I don't really see the problem for us, freelancers. It's all in your own hands, isn't it ? I give my clients at most 1 day (but mostly only half a working day) to confirm my proposal. If they don't respond within that time frame, then my proposal is no longer valid and subject to renegotiation (if necessary) and I will accept work from other clients. I often still get the job, but with an extended deadline.

When I'm asked to reserve a considerable amount of time in a further future
... See more
I don't really see the problem for us, freelancers. It's all in your own hands, isn't it ? I give my clients at most 1 day (but mostly only half a working day) to confirm my proposal. If they don't respond within that time frame, then my proposal is no longer valid and subject to renegotiation (if necessary) and I will accept work from other clients. I often still get the job, but with an extended deadline.

When I'm asked to reserve a considerable amount of time in a further future (a few weeks or more), then I always say "that I will try", but I don't give any guarantees. As a starting freelancer you will learn soon enough that it doesn't make sense to promise your availability in a somewhat distant future.

[Edited at 2023-06-15 09:33 GMT]
Collapse

Ona Stankevičiūtė
Simon Turner
Zea_Mays

Lingua 5B
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
Oh you mean that kind of ghosting? Jun 15, 2023

You mean ghosting in a sense that I block my time for an announced project? I never had that.

I had ghosting in a sense of announced projects that never materialize. I never book any time for projects without an official PO. If any new PO-based project comes up in the meantime, they get a priority of course.

But I didn't have ghosting in a sense of announced projects that never materialize lately either. Because it takes only a couple of lines in their inquiry for me to
... See more
You mean ghosting in a sense that I block my time for an announced project? I never had that.

I had ghosting in a sense of announced projects that never materialize. I never book any time for projects without an official PO. If any new PO-based project comes up in the meantime, they get a priority of course.

But I didn't have ghosting in a sense of announced projects that never materialize lately either. Because it takes only a couple of lines in their inquiry for me to know this will be a job ghoster, it's just a kind of analysis you develop with time.
Collapse

Nadia Silva Castro
Nadia Silva Castro
USA
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Same thing happened to me Jun 15, 2023

Paulo Melo wrote:

In fact, I was just writing to an agency that made me sign an NDA and then never wrote back to schedule a talk.

Same thing happened to me, I signed an NDA and they never got back to me...

Rasha Abu ElSoud

Lingua 5B
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
Yes Jun 15, 2023

Nadia Silva Castro wrote:

Paulo Melo wrote:

In fact, I was just writing to an agency that made me sign an NDA and then never wrote back to schedule a talk.

Same thing happened to me, I signed an NDA and they never got back to me...

Yes, it’s happening all the time. Signing an NDA does not mean you got a job. PO order means that. They request you to sign an NDA so they can discuss a project, often times a potential project that will never materialize. In brief, you sign an NDA for discussions on the topic of nothing.

Kevin Fulton
Sebastian Witte
Zea_Mays
Philip Lees
Nikolay Novitskiy

Kimberly Wastler
Kimberly Wastler  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 01:24
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

włoski > angielski
+ ...
And if you do reply... Jun 15, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Yes but with time you learn the language of job ghosters, and then don’t respond to their initial inquiry.

And if you DO reply, you learn what language to use - "I would be pleased to hear from you if you accept my rates" - which is an invitation NOT to reply and waste your time any further.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Disappearing client Jun 15, 2023

It happened to me about 15 years ago. I did a job on risk management at a petrochemical refinery in the Middle East. The project involved some interaction with the agency client, who claimed to be at a certain address in Australia. I delivered the project and the agency client expressed satisfaction.

And then completely disappeared.

Chasing up payment led me on a wild goose chase that led nowhere. Emails bounced and the phone line had been cancelled. There was in fact a
... See more
It happened to me about 15 years ago. I did a job on risk management at a petrochemical refinery in the Middle East. The project involved some interaction with the agency client, who claimed to be at a certain address in Australia. I delivered the project and the agency client expressed satisfaction.

And then completely disappeared.

Chasing up payment led me on a wild goose chase that led nowhere. Emails bounced and the phone line had been cancelled. There was in fact a translation agency at the address claimed but I phoned them and investigated them - they seemed to be quite transparent but knew nothing about the project, the client or the supposed project manager. In the end I concluded that the project manager I dealt with had never been in Australia. Adding to the mystery was the fact that the petrochemical refinery that was the subject of the document turned out to be completely fictitious. I spent considerable effort trying to track the client down, but was ultimately unsuccessful.
Collapse

Lucas Dornelles
Lucas Dornelles
Brazylia
Local time: 02:24
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
No, but I've had colleagues who have been. Jun 15, 2023

Nunca passei por esse problema no trabalho, mas é mais comum do que podemos imaginar. Já tive amigos que passaram por isso.
I never had this problem at work, but it's more comum than we can imagine. I've had coworkers who have gone through this.

kuryanga joshua makeseni
kuryanga joshua makeseni
Tanzania
English into swahili translations. Jun 16, 2023

Yes, I'm a victim of this, I have worked to someone from India and my work were taken two to three weeks but when it comes the terms of payment I didn't get anything although he promised me to send my payment, and he just send an empty number that he did send my payment, and when i went to back and check my payment it was empty, i have tried many ways get my payment but i didn't succeed with anything

and don't were to report and get my payment.

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:24
angielski > szwedzki
+ ...
non-paying clients Jun 17, 2023

kuryanga joshua makeseni wrote:

Yes, I'm a victim of this, I have worked to someone from India and my work were taken two to three weeks but when it comes the terms of payment I didn't get anything although he promised me to send my payment, and he just send an empty number that he did send my payment, and when i went to back and check my payment it was empty, i have tried many ways get my payment but i didn't succeed with anything

and don't were to report and get my payment.

I'm sorry to hear this. 2-3 weeks of a month's income is a big thing.

As a general rule, I don't take jobs from agencies in various countries, such as India, China, and most Arabic-speaking countries, unless:
- The client is a very well established company (has a web site, gives many Google hits and gives an impression of having been around for a long time)
- The client has a very good score at the Blue Board (at least an average of 4, with at least various entries).
- The project manager is using an email with the company's domain name (never gmail, hotmail and similar email addresses).

I would suggest you make an entry at the Blue Board here at proz.com and inform the client of that.

[Edited at 2023-06-17 00:33 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
USA
japoński > angielski
+ ...
Job ghosting Jun 17, 2023

To the above list of countries, I would add Latin America and Eastern Europe.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
After 40+ years in the business Jun 17, 2023

I'm quite "blasé" about job announcements. I believe it's a job when it's on my desktop and when the PO has been duly delivered.

[Edited at 2023-06-17 08:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-06-17 08:24 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Christopher Schröder

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
Those agencies have no heart Jun 19, 2023

Maybe they're even made up of robots. At least that's the impression I get when reading threads like this one. I wonder how they manage to stay afloat and get projects delivered on time and with adequate quality now that they're treating their vendors with such disrespect. I've never been ghosted; all my work contacts were real people and all my jobs were paid for. I have no memories of being mistreated in any way during my career as a translator and translation reviewer

[Edited at 2023-0
... See more
Maybe they're even made up of robots. At least that's the impression I get when reading threads like this one. I wonder how they manage to stay afloat and get projects delivered on time and with adequate quality now that they're treating their vendors with such disrespect. I've never been ghosted; all my work contacts were real people and all my jobs were paid for. I have no memories of being mistreated in any way during my career as a translator and translation reviewer

[Edited at 2023-06-19 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Newton
Nikolay Novitskiy

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been a victim of job ghosting?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »