Thread poster: Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:58
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Mar 13, 2023

Dear colegues. Do you think it is time to renegotiate our payment terms with agencies? Many pay on a "net 40" / "net 60" basis, which is not 100% safe when banks are going bankrupt one after another.

Federal Reserve will surely save the situation, at least for now. But I don't think it's wise to ignore risks completely. I believe we, translators, should take some safety measures as well.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nikolay Mar 13, 2023

I don’t know what you mean by saying “when banks are going bankrupt one after another” as, a far as I know, the banking sector has been shaken by the collapse of two US major banks (SVB and Signature). The world banking system as a whole does not depend on these banks. We are not at risk of a true financial contagion, but we are at risk of a bank panic, what should be avoided at all costs.

[Edited at 2023-03-13 14:18 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Stepan Konev
Peter Dahm Robertson
Jo Macdonald

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:58
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Terms are irrelevant Mar 13, 2023

Based on my experience with agencies, NET terms are irrelevant. Whatever the terms, they will always be late and will have to be chased with reminders.

Michael Newton
En_to_Fr_trans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looming bank crisis and payment terms with agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »