Who checks the algorithms regarding discounts for post-editing MT?
Thread poster: Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 01:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2023

Hello!
MT and AI is coming on strong in our business. In some respects we are in the forefront for several years already.
I have this issue with how statistics/algorithms calculate my payment for post-editing MT.
In a particular case the agency sets a temporary price and after comparing my post-edits to smth (a statistical average?).
The result was lower payment compared to the temporary price.
How is post-editing payment calculated?
Is there any reliable off
... See more
Hello!
MT and AI is coming on strong in our business. In some respects we are in the forefront for several years already.
I have this issue with how statistics/algorithms calculate my payment for post-editing MT.
In a particular case the agency sets a temporary price and after comparing my post-edits to smth (a statistical average?).
The result was lower payment compared to the temporary price.
How is post-editing payment calculated?
Is there any reliable official agency in Europe (EU) that checks how such algorithms calculate payment for post-editing?
Or is this just in the hands of the big corporations?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:10
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Memsource/Phrase concept Feb 25, 2023

maybe not exactly what you are looking for... since this applies to a mixed text, with TM and MT...

Analyze NT/MT post-editing enabled

If the MT or NT suggestion was accepted without further editing it is presented as a 100% match in the analysis.

If Linguist changes the MT, the match rate will be lower. The score-counting algorithm is the same as that used to calculate the score of translation memory fuzzy matches.... See more
maybe not exactly what you are looking for... since this applies to a mixed text, with TM and MT...

Analyze NT/MT post-editing enabled

If the MT or NT suggestion was accepted without further editing it is presented as a 100% match in the analysis.

If Linguist changes the MT, the match rate will be lower. The score-counting algorithm is the same as that used to calculate the score of translation memory fuzzy matches.

Editing of an NT will cause the segment to be presented as 0-49% NT.

https://support.phrase.com/hc/en-us/articles/5709712007708-Analysis-TMS-

[Edited at 2023-02-25 13:09 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Depends on each agency Feb 28, 2023

I think each agency probably has its own way of calculating discounts for MT.

One agency I worked for would apply MT to any segment that didn't have a TM match or a TM match lower than 70%, and would apply their MT discount (30%) only to those segments.

Example, suppose we have a document, with the following analysis vs. the MT:

A. Repetitions: 100 words
B. 100% matches: 100 words
C. 95-99% matches: 100 words
D. 85-94% matches: 100 words<
... See more
I think each agency probably has its own way of calculating discounts for MT.

One agency I worked for would apply MT to any segment that didn't have a TM match or a TM match lower than 70%, and would apply their MT discount (30%) only to those segments.

Example, suppose we have a document, with the following analysis vs. the MT:

A. Repetitions: 100 words
B. 100% matches: 100 words
C. 95-99% matches: 100 words
D. 85-94% matches: 100 words
E. 75-84% matches: 100 words
F. 50-74% matches: 100 words
G. No match: 100 words

Here, the words in groups A-E would not be machine translated (and instead fetched from the TM) and you would charge for them according to your standard grid for matches/fuzzies/reps.
The words/segments in groups F and G, however, would be machine translated, and you would charge for them at (your full rate minus the MT discount).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who checks the algorithms regarding discounts for post-editing MT?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »