Living in Spain having set up as a UK PLC and paying tax in the UK.. is it possibe?
Thread poster: Michael Boone
Michael Boone
Michael Boone  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:16
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Jan 29, 2023

I've heard rumours about this sort of thing, nothing more. Would be interested to know if this is possible. I'm currently living in Spain and paying tax and SS there, so this is not a viable option any time soon. I just wondered if anyone has done this (perhaps I've not used the right terms but maybe something similar to this?). This is purely out of curiosity.

Steve Robbie

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:16
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't Jan 29, 2023

People who do things like this usually have no or very limited understanding of international tax and social security legislation and treaties. I'm not sure what the point would be in Spain, as the Spanish taxation level is not significantly higher than the British. Such manoeuvres are more common in high-tax countries.

If you have a company registered in the UK but work in Spain, then you need to establish where that company and its employee(s) are liable for income tax, corporatio
... See more
People who do things like this usually have no or very limited understanding of international tax and social security legislation and treaties. I'm not sure what the point would be in Spain, as the Spanish taxation level is not significantly higher than the British. Such manoeuvres are more common in high-tax countries.

If you have a company registered in the UK but work in Spain, then you need to establish where that company and its employee(s) are liable for income tax, corporation tax, social charges and possibly other charges.

The first place to look up is the relevant double tax agreement, in the case of the UK and Spain available on https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507409/spain-dtc_-_in_force.pdf :

'1. The profits of an enterprise of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that
State unless the enterprise carries on business in the other Contracting State through a
permanent establishment situated therein. If the enterprise carries on business as
aforesaid, the profits of the enterprise may be taxed in the other State but only so much
of them as is attributable to that permanent establishment.'

I.e., if the company carries out activities in Spain, it will be liable for tax in Spain.

'1. Dividends paid by a company which is a resident of a Contracting State to a
resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State. '

So if that company pays you dividends, they are taxable in Spain.

'1. Subject to the provisions of Articles 15, 17 and 18, salaries, wages and other
similar remuneration derived by a resident of a Contracting State in respect of an
employment shall be taxable only in that State unless the employment is exercised in
the other Contracting State. If the employment is so exercised, such remuneration as is
derived therefrom may be taxed in that other State.'

So your salary would be taxable in Spain.

Then you need to find out where to pay social charges. As a resident of Spain, you must abide by Spanish employment and social security law.

You'd just end up with all sorts of legal and fiscal entanglements that could come crashing down if the local authorities found out about it, possibly bankrupting you and your company in the process.

I guess people who do such things think they are clever, but they are most likely just committing tax evasion.

If you live and work in Spain, you need to follow Spanish law and pay Spanish taxes and social charges, and if you don’t like it, it would be better to go and live in a country that offers the conditions you want.
Collapse

Charles R.
expressisverbis
Michael Boone
Tom in London
Steve Robbie

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
As far as I know Jan 29, 2023

It is legally possible if one lives in Spain less than 183 days in one year. However after Brexit I am not sure anymore as this is valid (like in my case) for Europe.

Michael Boone

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
183 days Jan 29, 2023

Angie Garbarino wrote:

It is legally possible if one lives in Spain less than 183 days in one year. However after Brexit I am not sure anymore as this is valid (like in my case) for Europe.

Things are much more complicated than simply applying a global 183-day rule, and any such 183-day rule would apply to a natural person, not a company.

Brexit hasn't changed anything about income and corporation tax, as such taxes were never subject to EU law in the first place.

If one has income, business, companies, tax liabilities, etc. in or from more than one country, one needs to study the implications carefully to avoid the risk of nasty and ruinous surprises later. One may in many cases stay under the radar, but that doesn't mean it's legal.

expressisverbis

Michael Boone
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this - I did think as much and was not really conisdering it seriously, thanks again Jan 29, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

If you have a company registered in the UK but work in Spain, then you need to establish where that company and its employee(s) are liable for income tax, corporation tax, social charges and possibly other charges.

The first place to look up is the relevant double tax agreement, in the case of the UK and Spain available on https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507409/spain-dtc_-_in_force.pdf :

'1. The profits of an enterprise of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that
State unless the enterprise carries on business in the other Contracting State through a
permanent establishment situated therein. If the enterprise carries on business as
aforesaid, the profits of the enterprise may be taxed in the other State but only so much
of them as is attributable to that permanent establishment.'

I.e., if the company carries out activities in Spain, it will be liable for tax in Spain.

'1. Dividends paid by a company which is a resident of a Contracting State to a
resident of the other Contracting State may be taxed in that other State. '

So if that company pays you dividends, they are taxable in Spain.

'1. Subject to the provisions of Articles 15, 17 and 18, salaries, wages and other
similar remuneration derived by a resident of a Contracting State in respect of an
employment shall be taxable only in that State unless the employment is exercised in
the other Contracting State. If the employment is so exercised, such remuneration as is
derived therefrom may be taxed in that other State.'

So your salary would be taxable in Spain.

Then you need to find out where to pay social charges. As a resident of Spain, you must abide by Spanish employment and social security law.

You'd just end up with all sorts of legal and fiscal entanglements that could come crashing down if the local authorities found out about it, possibly bankrupting you and your company in the process.

I guess people who do such things think they are clever, but they are most likely just committing tax evasion.

If you live and work in Spain, you need to follow Spanish law and pay Spanish taxes and social charges, and if you don’t like it, it would be better to go and live in a country that offers the conditions you want.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Residence for tax purposes Jan 29, 2023

Michael Boone wrote:

I've heard rumours about this sort of thing, nothing more. Would be interested to know if this is possible. I'm currently living in Spain and paying tax and SS there, so this is not a viable option any time soon. I just wondered if anyone has done this (perhaps I've not used the right terms but maybe something similar to this?). This is purely out of curiosity.

You would still be resident in Spain for tax purposes and would have to declare your income from the UK plc as "foreign income".

Additionally if the Spanish (or indeed the UK) tax authorities suspected that you were setting up the UK plc with the intention of avoiding taxes, this would have other consequences.

Michael Boone
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino
Jo Macdonald
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
you are right Jan 30, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Things are much more complicated than simply applying a global 183-day rule, and any such 183-day rule would apply to a natural person, not a company.

I misread, for a Company is different. My apologies

and Best regards

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Michael Jan 30, 2023

When I decided for family reasons to move back to Lisbon from Brussels I tried for a while to have my company there while living here in Lisbon (not for tax reasons but because transferring the company was expensive) until a lawyer advised me no to. So, finally I dissolved the company in Brussels and started a new one in Lisbon exactly with the same name…

Michael Boone
Thomas T. Frost

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Latvian
+ ...
it can be done Jan 30, 2023

One can set a company in the UK if that makes sense from business perspective, for example, one has many clients in the UK that would prefer working with the UK suppliers.

Also, you don't need to pay out all profit as dividends immediately. Sometimes it may make sense to wait and pay out in later years, for example, to avoid hitting the higher tax bracket, if you expect that the income may fluctuate over the years. That is completely legal.

I doubt that a single transla
... See more
One can set a company in the UK if that makes sense from business perspective, for example, one has many clients in the UK that would prefer working with the UK suppliers.

Also, you don't need to pay out all profit as dividends immediately. Sometimes it may make sense to wait and pay out in later years, for example, to avoid hitting the higher tax bracket, if you expect that the income may fluctuate over the years. That is completely legal.

I doubt that a single translator reaches income that makes such schemes worth the trouble. You may save a grand or two but with the extra headache of all paperwork and risk of doing something wrong and incurring hefty penalties.
Collapse

Michael Boone

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Assumption Jan 30, 2023

I always assume that the tax authorities of various countries would, as a matter of course, be watching these discussion forums.

[Edited at 2023-01-30 12:32 GMT]

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Jan 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I always assume that the tax authorities of various countries would, as a matter of course, be watching these discussion forums.

Like they’d have the manpower🙄

Thomas T. Frost

Michael Boone
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
making clear Jan 30, 2023

in that case, maybe I should clarify further that i never had any intention of breaking any laws, or of avoiding of evading tax. I was simply asking a simple question: is it feasible. I now know that it is not. I have no intention of doing it. I will be paying my taxes and my national insurance in Spain. My curiosity now satified. Now let's put this to bed!

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino

Michael Boone
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Please can we just put this to bed Jan 30, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Living in Spain having set up as a UK PLC and paying tax in the UK.. is it possibe?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »