Nicholas Miller
Nicholas Miller  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:32
Member (2014)
Czech to English
+ ...
Jan 20, 2023

Hi guys, you've probably read it several times already, but here's my two cents.
I'm getting more and more MT/AI post-editing requests and expectations to reduce rates.
COVID, energy crisis, inflation, use their online systems (lose the option to use your own TMs), and now this. I'm refusing to reduce rates for this and I think all freelancers should.
- Dubious time saving and workflow improvements are not worth it if there is less work and less income, not to mention the detr
... See more
Hi guys, you've probably read it several times already, but here's my two cents.
I'm getting more and more MT/AI post-editing requests and expectations to reduce rates.
COVID, energy crisis, inflation, use their online systems (lose the option to use your own TMs), and now this. I'm refusing to reduce rates for this and I think all freelancers should.
- Dubious time saving and workflow improvements are not worth it if there is less work and less income, not to mention the detriment to human verbal expression.
- The more we feed these machines, the less work there will be for us ultimately. You might get ahead of the competition in the short-term, but what about the long-term?
Do you wonder if you'll make it to retirement as a translator or have to find another field?
Have a nice day...
Collapse

Marie-France Phaneuf
Marina Aleyeva
Christine Andersen
Adieu
CroPro
Philip Lees
philgoddard

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nicholas Jan 20, 2023

I do agree with you, but as I see it the problem started with CAT tools and the considerable price reductions they entail. I must add that I still don’t use CAT tools and however I feel about it, I know they are here to stay. Fortunately (?), I’m well over retiring age. I do hope that it doesn't take over the work I do, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens at some point. As CAT tools grids were accepted, the logical next step is to accept PEMT reductions…

Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Michael Newton
Agneta Pallinder

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
My opinion Jan 20, 2023

Nicholas Miller wrote:
I'm refusing to reduce rates for this and I think all freelancers should.

If applied to the proper texts machine translation can speed up things considerably, so it's perfectly possible to work for a lower rate when you do MTPE. You just have to make sure you only accept it for texts that are worth it. Of course I can only speak for my language pairs. Perhaps machine translation is total crap in your language pairs, but in mine it isn't. Anyway, my MTPE rate is about 60-70% of my translation rate and that rate allows me to keep my earnings at the same level. I have to add that you have to train yourself. Ultimately MTPE is a skill like any other. You get better at it by doing it more. If you expect to see the benefits from machine translation the first couple of times you use it, you might get very disappointed.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
The more we feed these machines, the less work there will be for us ultimately.

That is very unsure, imo. I'll keep on saying it: as long as machines aren't able to think and feel as a human, progress in machine translation will be limited. If the day comes that machines can think and feel as humans do, well yes, then all translators are f****d, but so will the rest of humanity be. I mean, then it would really no longer be an issue for translators alone but for every professional out there. And knowing that the brain, at least partly, works still in mysterious ways for scientists, it seems highly unlikely that machines will become 'humans' soon.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
Do you wonder if you'll make it to retirement as a translator or have to find another field?

I have 22 years to go to make it to my retirement (I would be 67 by then, yay), so I'm the last person who will say that I will be able to keep working as a translator. I most definitely consider the possibility that I won't, but I really don't know that. What I do know (or at least am convinced of) is that a lot of translators will be forced to leave the industry if they keep on refusing to adapt to new technologies. Those technologies won't go away, on the contrary, they will be increasingly used. With all due respect, but thoughts like 'All freelancers should refuse to reduce their rates for MTPE' aren't very wise. Simply because it will never happen and the only people who will be the victim of that refusal will be the larger part of the people themselves who refuse.

That being said, if the day comes I can no longer survive as a translator, I will be happy to do whatever other kind of work. In Belgium several industries are in permanent great need of workers.

[Edited at 2023-01-20 10:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-20 11:07 GMT]

Rui Domingues
Rachel Waddington
Evgeny Sidorenko
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Jorge Payan
Metin Demirel

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Logic? Jan 20, 2023

Nicholas Miller wrote:
- Dubious time saving and workflow improvements are not worth it if there is less work and less income, not to mention the detriment to human verbal expression.
- The more we feed these machines, the less work there will be for us ultimately. You might get ahead of the competition in the short-term, but what about the long-term?
Have a nice day...

Surely if you don't want to feed the machines, you shouldn't be refusing to lower your rates but refusing to do this work at all...

I don't feel particularly threatened because 85% of my time is spent tarting up my own raw translation output. So even if MT does eventually match my first draft, it won't be a massive hit.

Kaspars Melkis
Michele Fauble
Dan Lucas
Metin Demirel
Philip Lees
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:32
English to Russian
+ ...
What is your question about? Jan 20, 2023

Is it about PEMT being paid less than actual translation? It's 100% logical for many types of texts, and for those it doesn't work for - just don't take those jobs, even if offered. It would be naive to hope clients (at least those who do the thinking and maths) would be paying the same price where they can get by using PEMT at less cost.
Or is it about the rate itself, shall it be X% or Y% of the translation rate? 60-70% indicated by Lieven is acceptable for me too - again, with the kind
... See more
Is it about PEMT being paid less than actual translation? It's 100% logical for many types of texts, and for those it doesn't work for - just don't take those jobs, even if offered. It would be naive to hope clients (at least those who do the thinking and maths) would be paying the same price where they can get by using PEMT at less cost.
Or is it about the rate itself, shall it be X% or Y% of the translation rate? 60-70% indicated by Lieven is acceptable for me too - again, with the kind of texts I usually have on my plate. This rate can vary on certain individual factors that would be obvious for anybody actually working with PEMT.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Geoffrey Black

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
For some people... Jan 20, 2023

less income is better than no income.

Christopher Schröder
Tretyak
Nica Wooters
Zoe Rompou
celiacheung85

Nicholas Miller
Nicholas Miller  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2014)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summary reply Jan 20, 2023

Interesting replies. Thanks.

Here are my thoughts

Logic?
Is it logical to keep accepting more and more compromises? Not draw the line anywhere?

Don't accept these projects? Okay, use of these MT translation systems is cropping up everywhere, so how about meeting halfway? If agencies value their translators... many obviously don't...

CAT reductions were a stepping stone in this direction, but they were originally meant to be an advantage
... See more
Interesting replies. Thanks.

Here are my thoughts

Logic?
Is it logical to keep accepting more and more compromises? Not draw the line anywhere?

Don't accept these projects? Okay, use of these MT translation systems is cropping up everywhere, so how about meeting halfway? If agencies value their translators... many obviously don't...

CAT reductions were a stepping stone in this direction, but they were originally meant to be an advantage for the translator, not a means to exploit them. Progress should be about making things better for all of us, not exploitation. Do the savings reach the end client? Really?
The next stage in this are agencies’ online systems, which prevent freelancers using their own software and TMs. The agency owns the whole thing. As with MT, you're kind of working against yourself here as well, in the long run.

Low income better than no income? Freelancers have to be on-call and available. If they take other kinds of work or regular employment, they won't be on-call

As this is private enterprise, it's difficult to expect much solidarity, and agencies count on that. However, I think it's something to think about, solidarity certainly exists in other industries, and it needn't be overt. I though I'd put it out there, perhaps provocatively for some, and see what people's reactions were, if any.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Tanja Oresnik
Olga-Translator

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Continuation. Jan 20, 2023

Nicholas Miller wrote:

The line is where you lose income. If technology helps you to become faster, you can lower your prices without losing income. It's perfectly legit to do that as a translator. It's even smart, because it increases your competitiveness (higher availability and prioritization over competitors who don't offer MTPE).

Nicholas Miller wrote:
CAT reductions were a stepping stone in this direction, but they were originally meant to be an advantage for the translator, not a means to exploit them.

You have the right to work exclusively for direct clients, then all the CAT and MT related advantages go your way. But if you work for agencies that provide you with work and part or the whole of the technological process, then it's quite normal they want a piece of the cake.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
Do the savings reach the end client? Really?

Who knows? But again: if it bothers you, then only work for direct clients.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
The next stage in this are agencies’ online systems, which prevent freelancers using their own software and TMs. The agency owns the whole thing. As with MT, you're kind of working against yourself here as well, in the long run.

I work for one client that has a fully integrated system, including its own CAT tool, but they offer the possibility to work with your own CAT tool as well. If that possibility would be absent, I would refuse to work for the agency. Never forget you are your own boss.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
Low income better than no income? Freelancers have to be on-call and available. If they take other kinds of work or regular employment, they won't be on-call

I think Giovanni meant that some freelancers would prefer working for a lower (but still more or less acceptable) income than for no income at all, not that you would only work part-time as a translator.

Nicholas Miller wrote:
I think it's something to think about, solidarity certainly exists in other industries, and it needn't be overt.

Solidarity between companies (because that is what we really are) seems really odd. We are competitors, man. We do what we can to do and be better than the rest.

Dan Lucas
Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
what?? Jan 20, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

.... CAT tools and the considerable price reductions they entail.…

CAT tools do not entail price reductions, any more than paying your plumber less because he buys some new tools

Lingua 5B
Adieu
CroPro
Philip Lees
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Sadek_A
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Exactely Jan 20, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

.... CAT tools and the considerable price reductions they entail.…

CAT tools do not entail price reductions, any more than paying your plumber less because he buys some new tools

This logic seems to only be used in translation. In all other industries, products become more expensive, not less expensive after mechanization, so that profit margins can increase.

Josephine Cassar
CroPro
Philip Lees
Tanja Oresnik
philgoddard
Geoffrey Black

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not really. Jan 20, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

If those tools make him work faster, you will definitely pay less.

Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Only if he applies the same hourly rates Jan 20, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

If those tools make him work faster, you will definitely pay less.

he applied before)

Sadek_A

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Car accident Jan 20, 2023

Christel Zipfel wrote:
he applied before)

Correct. And also only if he or she doesn't suddenly dies in a car accident. .

It is seldom only the business itself that reaps all the fruits of innovation. You will lose many clients if you want everything for yourself. Producing cheaper means in a lot of industries also selling cheaper.

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:32
English to Russian
+ ...
value creation Jan 20, 2023

For me, automatic translations are scrap unless they have been 'whacked' into shape by the 'old engineer with the hammer'.

CroPro
Tom in London
Geoffrey Black

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why discounts for post editing make no sense for freelance translators Jan 21, 2023

A State of Flux - The Difficult (and Controversial) Task of Integrating Machine "Translation" Tools into Professional Translation:
https://www.languagecrawler.com/2021/04/a-state-of-flux-difficult-and.html

Denis Danchenko
Nicholas Miller

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't offer reductions for post-editing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »