Thread poster: cherrypick
cherrypick
cherrypick
China
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 12, 2023

My client made 40% discount of the project without negotiation. So I wrote a feedback. Then they start to send me emails.
1. What is the best practice to deal with the emails? Can you share your story if your have similar experience?
2. Is 40% discount a normal thing? I think it is too much though, what do you think?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cherry Jan 12, 2023

cherrypick wrote:
Is 40% discount a normal thing? I think it is too much though, what do you think?

Even a 1% discount is too much, if there had been no negotiation.

If the client applies a discount without there being something about automatic discounts in the contract, and without your permission or agreement, then you simply haven't been paid fully (and the client still owes you the outstanding amount).

Where did you leave them feedback? Were you truthful in your feedback? What kinds of things are they saying in their mails to you? I suspect they're unhappy. Do you intend to work for them again in future?

Lingua 5B
Dalia Nour
Nathália Oliveira Silva
Yaotl Altan

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
No ... Jan 12, 2023

cherrypick wrote:

My client made 40% discount of the project without negotiation. So I wrote a feedback. Then they start to send me emails.
1. What is the best practice to deal with the emails? Can you share your story if your have similar experience?
2. Is 40% discount a normal thing? I think it is too much though, what do you think?

... it's not normal or acceptable to unilaterally impose a discount (presumably after you have completed the work?).

But I think you will need to give us a bit more information if you want useful advice. Was the discount because they weren't happy with the work or for some other reason? What do the emails say? What outcome are you hoping to achieve?

Dalia Nour
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Nathália Oliveira Silva
expressisverbis
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
More details, please Jan 12, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:

But I think you will need to give us a bit more information if you want useful advice. Was the discount because they weren't happy with the work or for some other reason?

As a translation buyer acting on behalf of my employer, an international law firm, I rejected the deliverables on two occasions and refused to pay anything for the complete f..k-up of a job. It was a bunch of contracts, agreements, undertakings, and deeds for a multi-million deal on the negotiation table.

Dalia Nour
Nathália Oliveira Silva
expressisverbis
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

cherrypick
cherrypick
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More detail Jan 13, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:

cherrypick wrote:

... it's not normal or acceptable to unilaterally impose a discount (presumably after you have completed the work?).

But I think you will need to give us a bit more information if you want useful advice. Was the discount because they weren't happy with the work or for some other reason? What do the emails say? What outcome are you hoping to achieve?

The discount was because they weren't happy with the work. The emails say they are surprised with the feedback. I want to end the conversation with the PM.
What is the best practice? Is there a way to end the email thread with less risk?

cherrypick
cherrypick
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for ypur reply Jan 13, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

cherrypick wrote:
Is 40% discount a normal thing? I think it is too much though, what do you think?

Even a 1% discount is too much, if there had been no negotiation.

If the client applies a discount without there being something about automatic discounts in the contract, and without your permission or agreement, then you simply haven't been paid fully (and the client still owes you the outstanding amount).

Where did you leave them feedback? Were you truthful in your feedback? What kinds of things are they saying in their mails to you? I suspect they're unhappy. Do you intend to work for them again in future?

On proz. My feedback is they imposed 40% discount on my work without negotiation and I want people to know that may happen to them. They say they are surprised by my feedback. I don't think they will assign me work anymore. The discount was because they are not happy with the work.

cherrypick
cherrypick
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply. Jan 13, 2023

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

But I think you will need to give us a bit more information if you want useful advice. Was the discount because they weren't happy with the work or for some other reason?

As a translation buyer acting on behalf of my employer, an international law firm, I rejected the deliverables on two occasions and refused to pay anything for the complete f..k-up of a job. It was a bunch of contracts, agreements, undertakings, and deeds for a multi-million deal on the negotiation table.

The discount was because they are not happy with the work. I want to end the conversation quickly. Can you share your professional advice on how to do it properly?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Best practice Jan 13, 2023

When PMs keep emailing me with work because of good feedback from the end-client, I just say thank you and they pay me the full amount.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tell them to stop Jan 13, 2023

cherrypick wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

cherrypick wrote:

The discount was because they weren't happy with the work. The emails say they are surprised with the feedback. I want to end the conversation with the PM.
What is the best practice? Is there a way to end the email thread with less risk?

Less risk of what?

You are entitled to leave feedback about them and whatever the rights or wrongs of the work they weren't happy with it seems that that subject has been closed.

I would probably just send a note telling the PM what you have told us: you didn't agree with them unilaterally imposing a discount without discussing it with you, you are entitled to leave honest feedback about what has happened, and that you would now like to close the conversation.

If they keep sending emails after that, I would just block them.

Geoffrey Black

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My system Jan 16, 2023

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

I outsource on a regular basis. I have never been so dissatisfied with someone's work that I refused to pay anything. Once in a while I negotiate a discount with the provider if they do an unusually bad job.

I usually have my finger on things. If it is a short job, I let them finish and check the work afterwards. If it is a big job I have different ways to making sure the job is on the right track, such as checking in and asking for partial deliveries.

My risk is minimized because a new translator never does too much work without me checking in. I can give feedback on the fly or cancel if I see the work is not up to standard. Old trusted translators get a much longer leash.

When I want to get rid of someone fast, I pay them in full and then I'll never have to see them again.

Rachel Waddington
Christine Andersen
Eric Azevedo
Geoffrey Black

Nicholas Miller
Nicholas Miller  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2014)
Czech to English
+ ...
Bad proofreading Jan 20, 2023

I had a translation badly corrected by a non-native at an agency. He then expected me to review all his poor corrections (based on his lack of knowledge of English) at no extra cost. He also 'couldn't understand' my annoyance and gave the 'standard practice' bull. I don't mind the standard practice, but after a native speaker has proofread it!
In the end, I did a cursory review and said I didn't wish to work like this in future and would prefer not to be contacted next time. I was working
... See more
I had a translation badly corrected by a non-native at an agency. He then expected me to review all his poor corrections (based on his lack of knowledge of English) at no extra cost. He also 'couldn't understand' my annoyance and gave the 'standard practice' bull. I don't mind the standard practice, but after a native speaker has proofread it!
In the end, I did a cursory review and said I didn't wish to work like this in future and would prefer not to be contacted next time. I was working on something else 'for money' at the time. He continued the emails, saying that he couldn't understand why and that he certainly would contact me. I just had to stop answering them.
Oh and then, of course, I had to chase him up on the later payment :-S
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Geoffrey Black

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Automatic trash Jan 20, 2023

cherrypick wrote:

.... I want to end the conversation quickly. Can you share your professional advice on how to do it properly?

Most email applications have a setting that will instantly trash emails with a particular subject or a particular email address so that they are immediately trashed as soon as they arrive. You never ever see them. You don't even know you received them.

Rachel Waddington

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:57
Japanese to English
+ ...
feedback Jan 24, 2023

Don't ever shy away from posting a negative review when it is deserved. I have had several threats from agencies about a review I made. One agency told me they would make sure I never received a project via proz.com again unless I removed the review. I told them to pound sand (well, not exactly in those words). Some PM/agencies can be extremely nasty.

Eric Azevedo
Rachel Waddington
Geoffrey Black

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best practice when PM keeps emailing you because of feedback

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »