Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 15, 2022

I have a very large termbase, only one source language (no variant) and one target (also no variant). Lately I have noticed that while I am translating, some of my terms don't show up on the translation results screen, and I know for sure that they are in my termbase. I click on the icon beside Translation results, and it says none are hidden. I tried to find an answer online and there was mention of Look Up Term. I did that with a word in my current segment, and it shows phrases with the word,... See more
I have a very large termbase, only one source language (no variant) and one target (also no variant). Lately I have noticed that while I am translating, some of my terms don't show up on the translation results screen, and I know for sure that they are in my termbase. I click on the icon beside Translation results, and it says none are hidden. I tried to find an answer online and there was mention of Look Up Term. I did that with a word in my current segment, and it shows phrases with the word, including the word by itself. I edited the source to change from capitalized to lower case, but the term still didn´t show. I thought that might be the reason, because originally I had set it to Permissive for case sensitive for the source. When I realized a while back what that really meant, I changed it to No.

I use the termbase not only to help remember certain terms, but mostly to minimize keystrokes. Does anyone know why all my terms in a segment don´t show as they ought? And what to do to fix it?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Hmm Aug 15, 2022

If you haven't done it already, you could bulk change the case setting to No for all the terms in the TB editor. 'Permissive' causes a lot of problems, as it's memoQ's default for incomprehensible reasons. Even if you import terms into a TB that has case set to No, memoQ overrides it and makes all imported terms Permissive, a bug reported years ago that they keep ignoring.

You can also try the Repair resource function on the Resource console just in case the TB is corrupted.
<
... See more
If you haven't done it already, you could bulk change the case setting to No for all the terms in the TB editor. 'Permissive' causes a lot of problems, as it's memoQ's default for incomprehensible reasons. Even if you import terms into a TB that has case set to No, memoQ overrides it and makes all imported terms Permissive, a bug reported years ago that they keep ignoring.

You can also try the Repair resource function on the Resource console just in case the TB is corrupted.

Also check in the TB editor that the terms look right and don't include characters that shouldn't be there.

[Edited at 2022-08-15 22:57 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Aug 17, 2022

Thanks for the reply, Thomas. As I already mentioned, but maybe didn't make it very clear, I had already changed all my source terms from permissive to no (about 1 1/2 year ago). I kept the target as permissive because it is convenient to only have the source listed once and as I start typing, it will adjust to lowercase or all caps. All the old terms were changed, and the new ones also are set to No.

I exported my terms to have a backup, and then started the Repair Resource wizard
... See more
Thanks for the reply, Thomas. As I already mentioned, but maybe didn't make it very clear, I had already changed all my source terms from permissive to no (about 1 1/2 year ago). I kept the target as permissive because it is convenient to only have the source listed once and as I start typing, it will adjust to lowercase or all caps. All the old terms were changed, and the new ones also are set to No.

I exported my terms to have a backup, and then started the Repair Resource wizard. It says the term base is intact and memoQ found no problems with it. Since it said it would show what the tasks were, allowing it to continue or not, I went ahead and clicked on Continue because I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. But I keep getting "The requested task could not be completed ... but you can safely continue your work." I clicked OK, and again, and again several times. Apparently it won't let me do the repair anyway. I had to quit memoQ and restart. Thankfully my TB is safe!

I sent a report to memoQ marked Critical, and someone answered. I had asked if it was safe to quit the program and they said to stop the processes in Task Manager. I also asked why some terms don´t show and what to do about it. He asked for more info and I gave it to him. If I get a helpful answer, I will share it here.

I originally posted the question here instead of asking them because the last time I asked for help, they wouldn´t give it to me because they said our contract had run out. I hope he will answer anyway, especially since we paid so much and didn´t ask for their help very much.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Strange Aug 17, 2022

It sounds strange to me, and a support ticket was probably the right thing to do. You don't need a subscription to report bugs or suspected bugs, but they only give non-bug-related support to users with a current subscription. As you are getting error messages, they need to look at it.

Please let us know if they or you find the cause.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:00
English to Russian
Different language variants Aug 17, 2022

MollyRose wrote:
I have a very large termbase, only one source language (no variant)
How do you know that? Can you open your termbase in the Edit mode and check the list of languages in the left column? Or even better, can you share a screenshot of that list (light-green frame)?
What you describe often happens when you have a mix of language variants in your termbase. If the source language of your project is en-GB and your termbase includes entries in English (United States) or simply English, those entries will not appear highlighted.

[Edited at 2022-08-17 20:42 GMT]

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know because I set it up Aug 18, 2022

I use plain English as the source and plain Spanish as the target. When I go to edit the TB, only 2 columns show up, which are these two languages. I realize that using different variants would be a reason for terms not showing, and that is why I mentioned it in my post, for process of elimination of possible causes.

However, Stepan, your reply could be helpful for someone else who has this problem. Thanks for the screen shot, showing the top of the list in one variant, and below i
... See more
I use plain English as the source and plain Spanish as the target. When I go to edit the TB, only 2 columns show up, which are these two languages. I realize that using different variants would be a reason for terms not showing, and that is why I mentioned it in my post, for process of elimination of possible causes.

However, Stepan, your reply could be helpful for someone else who has this problem. Thanks for the screen shot, showing the top of the list in one variant, and below in the other. I didn't know it would look like that.
Collapse

JAGDISH ARORA
JAGDISH ARORA
India
Local time: 15:30
English to Hindi
+ ...
My Hindi or Marathi Translations not showing in target Oct 18, 2022

When I type in Hindi or Marathi the translations are not showing in the target segments. But English text is showing and can be edited.

Only Marathi and Hindi text is invisible when I type in the target. Also, I am unable to edit the target segment in Hindi or English (after the translations are automatically picked up from the Translation memory)

[Edited at 2022-10-18 03:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms not showing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »