Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:18
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 2, 2008

I hope I will not get dumped among the grumpy old(er) men, but here's what I have noticed:

NN asking:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, (etc etc - whatever).

Alice: Quodque

Bob: Quisque
Carol: Agree
Bob: thank you, Carol

Now hold on a second and view the situation: NN is asking a question. Alice and Bob have both suggested an answer. Carol agrees with Bob. And Bob is thanking her.

Huh??? What fo
... See more
I hope I will not get dumped among the grumpy old(er) men, but here's what I have noticed:

NN asking:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, (etc etc - whatever).

Alice: Quodque

Bob: Quisque
Carol: Agree
Bob: thank you, Carol

Now hold on a second and view the situation: NN is asking a question. Alice and Bob have both suggested an answer. Carol agrees with Bob. And Bob is thanking her.

Huh??? What for? For the support? Support for what? For sure not for helping him help NN. For helping him in the mother of all battles against Alice the blue meanie?

My 2 cents: Alice is no enemy of Bob. Neither is Bob (not supposed to be) in any way antagonistic to Alice. Note that NN is out of the equation - he/she better be quiet during the thank-you, or shall we call it the bidding period. Bidding for #1 place. For points.

Oh well - the points you say ... can we somehow, finally ... grow up?

Regards

vito

[Edited at 2008-01-02 20:04]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-03 22:29]
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
English to Italian
politeness Jan 2, 2008

Hi Vito,

Bob thanked Carol for her agree to his answer. Just that!

This subject has been discussed in the past in different forums and it seems that there are 2 different schools of thought here:

1) Pople that, when given an agree for having answered a Kudoz question, think that it's not really necessary to thank whoever has agreed with them. They simply don't bother, don't care, takes too much time, yada, yada, yada.

2) Peple that on the other
... See more
Hi Vito,

Bob thanked Carol for her agree to his answer. Just that!

This subject has been discussed in the past in different forums and it seems that there are 2 different schools of thought here:

1) Pople that, when given an agree for having answered a Kudoz question, think that it's not really necessary to thank whoever has agreed with them. They simply don't bother, don't care, takes too much time, yada, yada, yada.

2) Peple that on the other hand think that it's a question of politeness to say "thank you" to whoever has given them an agree (or respond in other ways in case of disagrees or neutrals).

I belong to the latter group. I always thank whoever gives me an agree, I find it a question of politeness, because as others have spent a few seconds to read my answer and consider it correct to give me an agree, I can likewise spend 5 seconds of my time to give thanks to these people. It's not a battle, it's not a game of who gets more agrees, it's not a war of supporting a "candidate" rather than another. Thanking is a simple act of kindness, period.

There is an adagio in Italian:
Chiedere e' lecito, rispondere e' cortesia, ringraziare e' educazione.

There is no harm in asking, it's an act of politeness to give an answer, and thanking is a sign of good manners.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:18
Spanish to English
Not dumping on you but... Jan 2, 2008

I don't see it like that. I also say thank you if someone has drawn attention to a short-coming in my answer. Once the ball is rolling it is good to get feedback.

And anyway I don't think an extra, even if unnecessary, thank you does any harm. Some cultures are more inclined to be liberal with pleases and thank yous than others, but I don't think saying thanks in this case is declaring war on anyone.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank-youZ for sharing one's opinion Jan 2, 2008

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

There is an adagio in Italian:
Chiedere e' lecito, rispondere e' cortesia, ringraziare e' educazione.

There is no harm in asking, it's an act of politeness to give an answer, and thanking is a sign of good manners.

The sequence of this adagio is complete, only if the the person A (the asker) *asks*, person B [the (polite) answerer] *answers* and person A [the asker (with good manners)] *thanks*.

In KudoZ, a third or a fourth or more characters add(s) his/her/their opinion, out of the mentioned scheme of "politeness", so thanking for sharing one's opinion (if no valuable addition for the asker is made) is perceived by many as not necessary.

Whatever the "school" is, the missing *thank-you* cannot be classified as a sign of rudeness, only as a different way of seeing things, which I believe deserves the same respect a different opinion does.

Giuliana

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Agree Jan 3, 2008

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Whatever the "school" is, the missing *thank-you* cannot be classified as a sign of rudeness, only as a different way of seeing things, which I believe deserves the same respect a different opinion does.

Giuliana

Yes, I agree with you Giuliana: not receiving a "thank you" for an agree must not be seen as a rude attitude from the answerer.

Personally speaking, if I give an agree to somebody, I don't expect to get a thank you in response. If they thank, fine, if they don't fine too.

Happy New Year to you all!

Toodles

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:18
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
. Jan 3, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
And Bob is thanking her.
Huh??? What for?

Bob is just being nice, Vito, he's just being nice ...

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
It's just politeness Jan 3, 2008

I also say thank you, if somebody agrees to my suggestion. Why not? Those translators agree with me and thus support my suggestion. Maybe this helps the asker with his/her decision, what term/suggestion to use.

ruthiep
ruthiep  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
manners Jan 3, 2008

As the others have said, it's just a question of manners. I don't see why a 'thank you' should be interpreted as some kind of nasty tactic against Alice.
Although many of the negative comments on this forum about kudoz are justified in my opinion, there are too many 'bitter/sour' remarks (not just about kudoz, either) on this site.
I'm not saying we should stop making negative comments if their aim is to make things better but in what way would stopping saying thank you help anyone?
... See more
As the others have said, it's just a question of manners. I don't see why a 'thank you' should be interpreted as some kind of nasty tactic against Alice.
Although many of the negative comments on this forum about kudoz are justified in my opinion, there are too many 'bitter/sour' remarks (not just about kudoz, either) on this site.
I'm not saying we should stop making negative comments if their aim is to make things better but in what way would stopping saying thank you help anyone?
Let's all try to be a little more chilled this year, shall we?

[Edited at 2008-01-03 09:20]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree Jan 3, 2008

I agree with you Vito.
Why thank somebody who agreed with you? For what? For sharing my opinion?

After all, you are trying to help the asker, and any agree or disagree is there to again help the asker, not me, the answerer. If I have chosen to help - voluntarily - and my answer is of any help, the only person I would expect to thank me would be the asker, if he feels like thanking me. Not that he is obliged to thank me, as well as I am not obliged to help him.

I
... See more
I agree with you Vito.
Why thank somebody who agreed with you? For what? For sharing my opinion?

After all, you are trying to help the asker, and any agree or disagree is there to again help the asker, not me, the answerer. If I have chosen to help - voluntarily - and my answer is of any help, the only person I would expect to thank me would be the asker, if he feels like thanking me. Not that he is obliged to thank me, as well as I am not obliged to help him.

I don't think I've ever received a thank you from somebody in real life whose opinion I shared or supported, for whatever reason I did that. Why are people impolite if they don't thank somebody who shares their opinion? Who thanks a person who wears the same shirt or the same hat as you do?

I find it horrible that people now conclude I am a person who does not care about others, yada, yada, yada.... yes, I just belong to the first group, indeed. How a horrible person I am... I really think I should leave this place, there are too many good people here and no place for such a bad, impolite and uncaring person like me.
Collapse

ruthiep
ruthiep  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
not a bad person for NOT saying thank you Jan 3, 2008

Dear Sonja,
I don't think you are a bad person for not saying thank you, but please explain why it is bad to say it!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Agree with Vito Jan 3, 2008

And you don't have to thank me.

I would not thank anybody who agrees with me on a Kudoz-answer. It would give the impression that I'm eager to be proven right and get the points.
If someone disagrees and corrects my mistake though, I should thank her, really.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
Frankly, my dears... Jan 3, 2008

I don't give a damn!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear Jan 3, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

I don't give a damn!

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Yay..... Jan 3, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

I don't give a damn!

Finally something in this thread I can wholeheartedly agree with...

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 3, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And you don't have to thank me.

I would not thank anybody who agrees with me on a Kudoz-answer. It would give the impression that I'm eager to be proven right and get the points.
If someone disagrees and corrects my mistake though, I should thank her, really.

And how often have we seen inaccurate if not altogether nonsensical answers supported by some equally absentminded agreer, who immediately was thanked for supporting a poor effort and--and that's the important point--misleading the asker?

I had my agree squashed by a ProZ moderator (not one from a language pair, one from the BIG ProZ, for being "rude" by adding the line "no thanks for me for agreeing with you please, thanks"!

Yes, the asker is the ONLY one to thank answerers and agreers.
If you need to reply somehow to peer comments, say, e.g., "Hi", to agreers, neutralizers and disagreers. Unless you're really thanking for the bigger chance of KudoZ points you're sensing with each coming "agree", that is.

[Edited at 2008-01-03 20:13]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alice and Bob and Carol: thanking agreers in Kudoz

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »