Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Without hope or agenda Jan 3, 2008

Larissa B wrote:

Bob is just being nice, Vito, he's just being nice ...

Larissa is quite right. I tend to thank people for taking the time and trouble to comment and that "thank you" comes with out hope or agenda. It also comes if an error is observed. Should I not receive a "Thank you", it will certainly not break my heart either.

As you like it.

Sara

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
English to French
+ ...
Yep Jan 4, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

I don't give a damn!

Frankly, why not leave the KudoZ for what they are: questions and answers. If people want to thank, fine. If not, fine too.
"Politeness" and "good education" obey the same guidelines in most countries (I guess, at least). But there are so many small differences from one continent, country, region or family to another that really, becoming picky about someone saying "thank you" or not for an agree might be a tiny bit exaggerated.

More generally, if ProZians are annoyed with so many aspects of KudoZ, IMHO they shouldn't use that system anymore. Sure, many people answer whatever. And many others agree with them. Each one of us needs to know what's worth what. There are also very good professionals giving excellent answers. We agree with them. Are they being rude when they say thanks? Or are they demagogues? Not in my opinion.

Happy New Year!

Anne

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:46
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Untick the box for 'send me the response' when you agree :-) Jan 4, 2008

[quote]Anne Patteet wrote:

Frankly, why not leave the KudoZ for what they are: questions and answers. If people want to thank, fine. If not, fine too.

Happy New Year!

Anne

And luckily there is that little box I can 'untick' by 'send me the response', when I add agrees myself. Then I am not interrupted by people thanking me.

I don't thank people for agreeing with me. I am pleased, but it generates extra e-mails and distractions, so I only react if there is a comment and I want to reply to it. I usually do thank people for neutral or disagree comments, because they take the trouble to tell me something I did not know.
And it is far better to have colleagues explain than dissatisfied clients!

So here is a general thank you to everyone who observes the rules of courtesy, whether it be by saying thank you, or whether it be by not sending separate, unnecessary mails when I'm busy!

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
French to English
+ ...
Doing this often-isolated work Jan 5, 2008

...sometimes ya just want to reach out and connect with the person in the next (virtual) cubicle...

Patricia Baldwin
Patricia Baldwin
United States
Local time: 07:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Saying Thank You is part of our culture Jan 5, 2008

It is called manners.

And, first and foremost, Kudoz is all about teamwork...so you thank someone who is kind enough to pitch in, or to put his/her 2 cents in with your answer.

Kudoz is so creative and interesting, there have been times when the question is super tough and so very creative, that my fellow prozies would reinterpret my answer in the agree field or would give it a twist, a touch here and there...a tug..a hunch ..and voila...!

....The right
... See more
It is called manners.

And, first and foremost, Kudoz is all about teamwork...so you thank someone who is kind enough to pitch in, or to put his/her 2 cents in with your answer.

Kudoz is so creative and interesting, there have been times when the question is super tough and so very creative, that my fellow prozies would reinterpret my answer in the agree field or would give it a twist, a touch here and there...a tug..a hunch ..and voila...!

....The right answer would then magically materialize.

A thank you is sometimes very scarce..I wish I had a bunch of flowers or a basket full of fresh fruit to give my fellow prozies who take the time to agree with me... their agree means they have thought and pondered all answers..maybe even researched more in depth and come to agree with me, waiving points of their own. It means a lot to me.

It is also a pat on the shoulder, a wink, a high five.

Life is hard, and translating a very lonely trade.

A thank you from the other side of the planet lets us connect with similar thinking minds, with highly professional colleagues who not only reassure the asker but also provide feedback and moral support to those who answer. As a translator, I work with words (yes.. we all do... you must be retorting). Yet, I am not a piece of machinery nor words are gears ...words are culture, passion, soul, moods...we know the right answer of simple terms of course. But literary language is subjective..it has a life of its own and the right answer is not always crystal clear. An agree can help determine our choice as valid. And a thank you note is chivalrous and thankful..as the word denotes... we are ever so grateful for that someone out there supporting our leap of faith, and we are not so much there out on a limb any longer.

Next time the offensive Thank you appears on your screen think of it as teamwork and not as an appleshining move....you will start falling in love with Kudoz as I have for the last 4 years, and deriving much healthy glee at venturing to answer tough questions...even when you are dead certain your answer is so right, it still warms the heart to receive thank you notes and agrees. It is part of life, we are human beings and social.

Thank you!
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My comments Mar 5, 2008

I think we should have an option allowing the Agreeer [hey, does that word, exist?] to thank the Thanker, who in turn should be able to thank the Agreeer. The Asker can go jump in a lake.

I also think there is a subtle discrimmination issue here. The poor Disagreeers [sic?] never get any thankyous [I'm on a roll with doubtful words!] If the Disagreeers were helping, which they presumably are, I would hope that politeness would win the day and they too would receive their thankyou.
... See more
I think we should have an option allowing the Agreeer [hey, does that word, exist?] to thank the Thanker, who in turn should be able to thank the Agreeer. The Asker can go jump in a lake.

I also think there is a subtle discrimmination issue here. The poor Disagreeers [sic?] never get any thankyous [I'm on a roll with doubtful words!] If the Disagreeers were helping, which they presumably are, I would hope that politeness would win the day and they too would receive their thankyou.

Alas, this is not etiquette school. Those asking, thanking, agreeing and disagreeing are, or at least perceived to be, in direct competition with each other for work.
Collapse

Susan Zimmer
Susan Zimmer
United States
Local time: 10:46
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Patricia! Mar 15, 2008

My thoughts exactly......It's lonely enough as a translator, good to get a bit of feed back every now and then.

No, I don't always say "thanks!" to those who agree with me, but I do try. I just think it's a nice thing to do. There's too much competition in the world as it is. Amongst peers, at least, we can be friendly....

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha ha ha Feb 27, 2009

Edward Potter wrote:

* laughs * Omg, your comment made me laugh so much.

Thank you. ( now thank me back for thanking you ).

On topic : I see no point in thanking anyone for agrees or disagrees. I don't thank anyone when they share my opinion in real life, why should I do it here ? Also, I never do it with my colleagues in real life.. When I had exams at the University, I try to image what'd be like if I thanked my professors each time they agreed with my exam answer ?! I believe it would throw my professors into fits ?

In my language pair, it has evolved to a higher level, and they often use higher and excessive forms of politeness when thanking the "agreer", for example :

Thank you kindly

Thank you a lot

Thank you so much indeed

Thank you very much indeed

Thank you so much

And, of course, the inevitable exclamation mark:
Thank you so much !

Edit : In my opinion, the only person who should say " thank you" in the KudoZ process is the asker if he or she gets help and the appropriate, correct answer. In that case, it'd be impolite if the asker did not say " thank you" ( and it occurs).

[Edited at 2009-02-27 22:51 GMT]

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
sometimes I thank the agreer, sometimes not Mar 2, 2009

I generally don't thank agreers (I don't see the point of it, and I have a 56 k internet connexion, which makes any action very loooooooooooong), but when the agreer adds a comment like "very good idea" or something nice, I generally take a few seconds to thank him/her...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alice and Bob and Carol: thanking agreers in Kudoz

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »