Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:50
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
writeaway... Aug 6, 2012

...I think there is a way out.

Whenever an inane question is posted, we go vote it as non-pro. That will remove the "urge" from the "eager-beaver" crowd to answer it.

And if they REALLY are inane, I do not see it going against any of the sacred rules.

Indeed, there is one (voting pro/non pro) which -unless someone from the staff disabuses me about the matter, in which case I withdraw, and will delete, this post because by definition they hold the last word
... See more
...I think there is a way out.

Whenever an inane question is posted, we go vote it as non-pro. That will remove the "urge" from the "eager-beaver" crowd to answer it.

And if they REALLY are inane, I do not see it going against any of the sacred rules.

Indeed, there is one (voting pro/non pro) which -unless someone from the staff disabuses me about the matter, in which case I withdraw, and will delete, this post because by definition they hold the last word- seems to be specifically designed with this in mind.

[Edited at 2012-08-06 06:39 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Home page Aug 6, 2012

@ Cilian

You're right. I've just checked my home page settings and forums were set to the most recently created rather than the most recent posts. Indeed, this one has been whisked away.

@ Site staff
Why?

psicutrinius
Spain
Local time: 22:51
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think that at this point, the thread was taken off the list Aug 6, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

For participating in the discussion (while it lasted) !

so that -while it is still active- by not being listed now, it has been reduced, effectively, to a thread for "those in the know".

This is why it doesn't move (if I have got it right)

(This was posted towards the end of May, if memory serves, but it is easy: Check since when there are no new POSTERS)

[Edited at 2012-08-06 21:49 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe the site is... Aug 6, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

@ Cilian
Indeed, this one [forum] has been whisked away.

@ Site staff
Why?

Maybe the site is secretly hoping that if they ignore us, we'll go away. We're obviously a bit of a nuisance, and too time-consuming (costly) to deal with in a professional manner. Simply ignoring/hiding us makes their lives easier.

Why isn't there a forum where we can openly and democratically discuss and constructively criticise (and God forbid maybe even improve!!!) some of the more important issues on the site? That used to be possible. Now we have to post individual support tickets if we wish to discuss anything of importance. It's much easier for the site to silence/ignore/dismiss us that way.

Is the site afraid of something as horrendous as open discussion?

(Would be nice to get some input from the site mods at some stage.)

But this probably is not the right place to post all this. Just couldn't think of a better one at the time.

psicutrinius
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I believe, within reason, that... Aug 6, 2012

...this is a forum for suggesting ideas. Adding a suggestion to the list of ideas for improvement doesn't mean that the suggestion will be implemented, but rather that it will be evaluated for possible implementation.

Since the time it may take for an idea, first to be evaluated and then implemented, depends obviously on site priorities and, further, there is already the possibility of filtering askers (although only individually), I am afraid that this is not a matter that (at leas
... See more
...this is a forum for suggesting ideas. Adding a suggestion to the list of ideas for improvement doesn't mean that the suggestion will be implemented, but rather that it will be evaluated for possible implementation.

Since the time it may take for an idea, first to be evaluated and then implemented, depends obviously on site priorities and, further, there is already the possibility of filtering askers (although only individually), I am afraid that this is not a matter that (at least for the moment) carries any level of priority for the site.

This is, OF COURSE, my OWN guesswork, and if it hits the mark, which is not that sure anyway, this means that Proz considers that Kudoz is just a voluntary -and free- method provided for the members to help and be helped, no more, no less (which WAS a very good INITIAL idea, but which has grown quite far from this point).

(I hasten to add that this is my particular guess, that I hate guesswork -and particularly mine- but that there is no other way for trying to extract sense of the strange silence we are "enjoying" plus, in this thread, the "gagging", as it has in fact been restricted to the participants up to about end May (guesswork again, but see my post a few ones below, which is itself guesswork, therefore all I have said about it applies here too).

As has been pointed out here, ratios of questions/answers of, say, 4500:300, plus inane questions (thus inane answers) point out to the system being gravely abused by askers who take jobs without a minimum degree of expertise in the subject matter but who carry on, via the benevolence of answerers who take their time to help a colleague... to snatch jobs from under their noses, and who fool the outsourcers as well about their competence (or from inane colleagues who see the inane questions as a sure way of increasing their Kudoz score).

They can do so stealthily also, because they may hide the figures (questions asked / questions answered) from their profiles. I have pointed out a possibility, namely that the kudoz figures cannot be hidden in the profiles, which even a nerd like me knows that can be done in five seconds flat -and which will instantaneously make the abusers to think twice before keeping on abusing the system.

Another -additional- way, as effective and as cheap for everybody, would be that all the "established answerers" (that is, those who can give meaningful answers to meaningful questions) filter the abusers out or, still another, to vote non-pro to the inane questions, which would also keep the inane answerers away, because these are interested ONLY in getting pro points out of non-pro questions, and that is how good they are. But this must occur to each answerer individually, as such a campaign would be against the sacred rules.

By the way: Why did the "vocabulary building questions" campaign peter out?. I submit here that this was due to the high proportion of inane answerers.

So, be it because of rules or of priorities, the system is gravely abused. And Proz gags this thread (if I have got it right) while keeping a hawk's eye on each post, just to enforce the rules (see posts obscured, here), but not noticing the ideas.

[Edited at 2012-08-07 06:26 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why this thread might be on the verge of being closed, IMO Aug 6, 2012

During the past gazillion posts, one particular person who can now be identified easily has been discussed ad nauseam. While there is rule #8, "Outsourcers may not be discussed specifically", there is no such rule regarding "ProZ.com members may not be discussed, etc." but this thread has become pretty personal and focused on one person who does not even participate in this discussion.

My thoughts.

Jennifer Byers
Jennifer Byers  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Portuguese to English
I've just found you... Aug 6, 2012

but I've no idea/can't remember how, as I've never participated or even read this thread before today! Perhaps through a link from another forum....? When I go back to the list of threads (using another tab) this one doesn't appear.

Being an irregular user of the site, I personally am not familiar with how to identify the person you have been describing - doesn't seem to be in my language pair anyway - so as long as no names have been named, I don't see what the problem is.
... See more
but I've no idea/can't remember how, as I've never participated or even read this thread before today! Perhaps through a link from another forum....? When I go back to the list of threads (using another tab) this one doesn't appear.

Being an irregular user of the site, I personally am not familiar with how to identify the person you have been describing - doesn't seem to be in my language pair anyway - so as long as no names have been named, I don't see what the problem is.

Naming and shaming is not allowed here - fair enough, it could get ugly - but I think it's shortsighted of the moderators to 'disappear' a thread which merely expresses concern over a person or persons who is/are abusing the terms of the site - if not in FACT, at least in essence.

Thanks for whiling away my evening - I've learned a lot. Now, back to the Olympics (reruns!).
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It’s got too personal Aug 7, 2012

While I admit that he/she gets up my nose as much as the next person and is taking advantage of the goodwill of colleagues, not only on this site, but on others too, this discussion won't be allowed a higher profile until we remove the personal element. I've searched the forums and cannot see a recent thread on KudoZ asking limits so I've started o... See more
While I admit that he/she gets up my nose as much as the next person and is taking advantage of the goodwill of colleagues, not only on this site, but on others too, this discussion won't be allowed a higher profile until we remove the personal element. I've searched the forums and cannot see a recent thread on KudoZ asking limits so I've started one: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/230360-should_kudoz_asking_limits_be_reduced.html

This is not to say that this thread shouldn’t continue and one day, perhaps (hopefully), his/her attention may be drawn to it.

[Edited at 2012-08-07 08:27 GMT]
Collapse

psicutrinius
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't see the point of this becoming personal... Aug 7, 2012

This is all about the KudoZ system being abused.

It is only normal that the most egregious abusers are known by the posters (and this is the very root of the thread; no egregious abusers, no problem to talk about and nobody posting here).

The most egregious abusers (notice the "most") are necessarily very few in each language pair, therefore they might feel identified (but they are NOT named, and not even gender-identified). There is a way out: Don't abuse (else: abuse
... See more
This is all about the KudoZ system being abused.

It is only normal that the most egregious abusers are known by the posters (and this is the very root of the thread; no egregious abusers, no problem to talk about and nobody posting here).

The most egregious abusers (notice the "most") are necessarily very few in each language pair, therefore they might feel identified (but they are NOT named, and not even gender-identified). There is a way out: Don't abuse (else: abuse moderately) and, again, no one to talk about.

The abuse has been noticed by the posters here (specifically by the initiator) and he has initiated a thread that, as its positive outcome, has brought a number of suggestions for at least limiting the abusing, which is due to a set of rules that worked fine at the beginning but which have developed loopholes that allow their being abused.

The current rules allow for the abuse to exist, and it seems that Proz do not perceive that this is the case. Hence the consideration that instead of being constructive, this thread is a series of rants, which may be gagged (to limit its extent) and to be let to die by itself.

The way I see it, it could be closed quickly (and to the satisfaction of everybody) if:

(a) Some of the ideas to limit abuse are recognized and acted upon, or
(b) The posters can be persuaded that this is a non event, that there is no abuse at all, thus that the rational solution is to leave the matter as it stands now.

But neither of (a) or (b) above seems to materialize, so the matter is kept festering, and, yes, posters (or some of them) keep tabs on the abuses as these grow and rant about it (what else can be done in the circumstances?).

[Edited at 2012-08-07 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
5771 Aug 24, 2012

I just glanced at a translator (with the badge) who asks quite a bit-and to my amazement discovered that this person has asked 5771 questions (and still counting, natch). To this person's credit, s/he has posted 3026 answers so it's not a one-sided case of taking only. And this person only advertises translation services into his/her native language. So while this is a huge number of questions, the out and out 'abuse' aspect doesn't seem to apply here.

fwiw, the no. 1 questi
... See more
I just glanced at a translator (with the badge) who asks quite a bit-and to my amazement discovered that this person has asked 5771 questions (and still counting, natch). To this person's credit, s/he has posted 3026 answers so it's not a one-sided case of taking only. And this person only advertises translation services into his/her native language. So while this is a huge number of questions, the out and out 'abuse' aspect doesn't seem to apply here.

fwiw, the no. 1 question asker on the abusive side of Kudoz is currently at 4483 and counting.

[Edited at 2012-08-25 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
update Aug 26, 2012

4491... oops, 4492

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
4500 reached Aug 28, 2012

Rachel Fell wrote:

4491... oops, 4492

and still counting

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
Oops again. 4500 not reached ........ Aug 29, 2012

writeaway wrote:

Rachel Fell wrote:

4491... oops, 4492

and still counting

I've just been informed that for some reason the count is 'only' at 4497. It did say 5000 when I posted. Really it did....

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
4500 reached now Aug 31, 2012

4510 to be exact.

[Edited at 2012-09-01 13:22 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »