Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Users that post such an amount of Kudoz questions that...
Thread poster: Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

It feels as though they are posting the whole text, line by line.

Isn't this lacking in honesty?
I mean, one day I check the Proz site and see that the whole space for Kudoz questions in one page is full of the questions that the same user is making for one job. The next day, the same thing.
I would think that people that call themselves professional translators might have few questions or two that they can't sort out by themselves, but seriously, so many questions for
... See more
It feels as though they are posting the whole text, line by line.

Isn't this lacking in honesty?
I mean, one day I check the Proz site and see that the whole space for Kudoz questions in one page is full of the questions that the same user is making for one job. The next day, the same thing.
I would think that people that call themselves professional translators might have few questions or two that they can't sort out by themselves, but seriously, so many questions for a single job...makes me wonder if these translators even have the basic resources to search for their questions on their own. And if the answer is no, then, should they be called professional translators?
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:49
English to German
+ ...
Agree. Mar 29, 2011

I was short of congratulating someone for her 2,500th question.

imatahan
imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
LOL Mar 29, 2011

I have the same feelings!

And when I feel that, I give no answers to the person!!!

Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson
Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
That's what I wonder too... Mar 29, 2011

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

...makes me wonder if these translators even have the basic resources to search for their questions on their own. And if the answer is no, then, should they be called professional translators?

That is exactly the same thing that comes to my mind whenever I see such a huge number of Kudoz posted by the same translator.

[Editado a las 2011-03-30 17:19 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
NO Mar 29, 2011

There are people out there who may need help, but it can be seen that they are trying hard, building and using their own resources as much as possible and making a real effort to do a professional job even though it is not easy. Then there are the ones who just try to lean on others, despite the fact that the kind of help we can provide here can never make up for their incompetence. So should they be called professional translators?

The answer is a resounding NO.

People
... See more
There are people out there who may need help, but it can be seen that they are trying hard, building and using their own resources as much as possible and making a real effort to do a professional job even though it is not easy. Then there are the ones who just try to lean on others, despite the fact that the kind of help we can provide here can never make up for their incompetence. So should they be called professional translators?

The answer is a resounding NO.

People from the first group are worth helping. The ones from the second group are a disgrace to our profession.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filter them! Mar 29, 2011

Take my word: filter them from sight usint the dashboard and you'll never have to bother about them again!

russtran09 (X)
russtran09 (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
why? Mar 29, 2011

Why do others keep translating questions from the same asker then?

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great advise Mar 29, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Take my word: filter them from sight usint the dashboard and you'll never have to bother about them again!

That is actually the best thing to do, and just did it! Thanks for the advise!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
ProZ suggestion ... Mar 29, 2011

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Please could we have an "Asker's Leaderboard" so we can all celebrate these momentous occasions.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hee hee! Mar 29, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Please could we have an "Asker's Leaderboard" so we can all celebrate these momentous occasions.

But I do see that most of the culprits still have others queuing up to answer their serial questions.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hee, heee!!! Mar 30, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'd love that.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
filter, definitely Mar 30, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Agree. I have a very long list of people on my filtered list for this very reason.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Dashboard? Mar 30, 2011

Ignorance is bliss... but I must find out what the dashboard is.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Some answers Mar 30, 2011

Hello,

A similar topic was discussed at length here: http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/184394-how_to_filter_kudoz_questions_asked_by_specific_askers.html

You might find some useful information there.

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2011-03-30 09:10 GMT]

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Asker's Leaderboard Mar 30, 2011

but if there would be a list with «asking champions» I'm sure some people would work even harder to «improve» their ranking

bad publicity is better than no publicity

-english is not my working language-

[Edited at 2011-03-30 09:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Users that post such an amount of Kudoz questions that...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »