Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Obvious Kudoz questions from people claiming to be able to translate into English
Thread poster: Tom in London
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Dec 12, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Also, I find that using the number of KudoZ points received to establish ranking is completely illogical. Instead, I would use a points awarded / questions answered ratio for rankings. So, points grabbers (who often give lousy answers) would shift toward the end of the directory, whereas those who may have answered less questions but whose answers were chosen more often would climb up the directory ladder.

This is probably the gazillionth time that such a system has been proposed and supported by many of the site's members and regular users (yours truly included) but, if I'm not mistaken, some months ago a staff member (I think it was Enrique) replied in a post titled "A clear reply" that Proz management had no intention of changing the points system (thus, no chance of implementing teh reliability index system), or something along those lines.

Greetings
Andrea

[Edited at 2008-12-12 20:43 GMT]

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 14:38
German to English
+ ...
Sleepless in Spain Dec 12, 2008

Well, I’m delighted that we’ve finally identified the only Prozer (Prozian?) who has never posted on KudoZ (well, almost never).

No, Mervyn, you’re not alone and, yes, I fully understand why you would be scared to jump into the KudoZ fray. I stopped asking questions on KudoZ about two years ago for similar reasons. Viktoria is right. Some people on the site might view your lack of activity as incompetence or disinterest in the
... See more
Well, I’m delighted that we’ve finally identified the only Prozer (Prozian?) who has never posted on KudoZ (well, almost never).

No, Mervyn, you’re not alone and, yes, I fully understand why you would be scared to jump into the KudoZ fray. I stopped asking questions on KudoZ about two years ago for similar reasons. Viktoria is right. Some people on the site might view your lack of activity as incompetence or disinterest in the community. Not me. When I stumble across a profile like yours with virtually no KudoZ activity, I tend to think that here is a real pro who doesn’t need the help and can’t be bothered with all the shenanigans.

The only problem is that such hidden gems are so hard to find in the directory – and many of them have so much work on their hands that they don’t want to be found.

Have a great weekend.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fray Dec 12, 2008

Paul Cohen wrote:....scared to jump into the KudoZ fray

I didn't realise it was a "fray" and as a new user just a few months ago, I dived in there and started accumulating points as fast as I could.

But after a while I became puzzled at some of the really simple questions being asked....

Now I'm deeply disappointed, and wondering exactly what it is I'm paying for.

[Edited at 2008-12-12 21:27 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
French to English
Not here Dec 12, 2008

Tom in London wrote:

It is apparently not permitted in Kudoz to draw attention to the fact the someone has just asked a really obvious question that any competent translator should be able to answer.

Where *is* it permitted?

I know of a place where the atmosphere is, shall we say, more robust, the participants sometimes a little more forthright.
AFAIK, there is no actual rule, it's up the mods to decide what is tolerated.
If you want my honest opinion, it actually detracts from discussion of the linguistic points, and descends into petty squabbles where the actual answer gets lost.
They are clamping down now. It was highly entertaining to watch the mud slinging for a while.

I find it annoying, as you do, that sometimes you can't just say "open the blasted dictionary" or "try google" or criticise the obvious cases of people "cheating" or taking advantage. The thing is, if you allow that, then you have to allow it all, since defining what is "obvious" is impossible and what is obvious to you might not be obvious to me, and v versa. So it is safest to allow none. I understand that. It winds me up too. It is a great pity that some "rules" are enforced more strictly than others.

I want a forum where we can do that.
You gonna have to be the one that starts it.
Although you won't be able to mention it on here.
Rules and that, you understand.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ahh, I beg to differ. A little bit off topic. Dec 12, 2008

Paul Cohen wrote:

No, Mervyn, you’re not alone and, yes, I fully understand why you would be scared to jump into the KudoZ fray. I stopped asking questions on KudoZ about two years ago for similar reasons. Viktoria is right. Some people on the site might view your lack of activity as incompetence or disinterest in the community. Not me. When I stumble across a profile like yours with virtually no KudoZ activity, I tend to think that here is a real pro who doesn’t need the help and can’t be bothered with all the shenanigans.

The only problem is that such hidden gems are so hard to find in the directory – and many of them have so much work on their hands that they don’t want to be found.

The ongoing complaint is - in a nutshell - about unqualified questions that true professionals shouldn't waste time on. On the other hand, you are high-fiving each other for never, ever posting any professional questions because you are perfect by nature. Yet you complain that there are no professional questions out there.

Please explain.

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 14:38
German to English
+ ...
I'm disappointed, too Dec 12, 2008

Tom in London wrote:
Now I'm deeply disappointed, and wondering exactly what it is I'm paying for.

Join the club.

We are paying for a site that meets the needs and interests of professional translators and their clients.

As far as I can tell, that's the basic "contract" between us and the site.

And no, Tom, there is unfortunately no forum where we can talk about specific abuses.

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 11:38
SITE STAFF
Thanks for your comments/locking the thread Dec 12, 2008

Hello All,

Thanks for all your comments and concerns.

I am locking this thread now since the topic has been discussed sufficiently.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Obvious Kudoz questions from people claiming to be able to translate into English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »