Iniziatore argomento: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 20:30
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
Aug 8, 2003

Can any Hungarian football fans out there tell me anything interesting about this club, who are due to play Celtic in Europe next week. I am interested in history, current performance and team, star players, politics, interesting anecdotes... all that sort of thing. Many thanks in advance! Dan
[email protected]

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Ungheria
Local time: 21:30
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Try the webpage Aug 8, 2003

www.mtk.hu

Kalauz
Kalauz
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
The page is under construction :( Aug 8, 2003

Eva Blanar wrote:

www.mtk.hu

Libero_Lang_Lab
Regno Unito
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
MTK Aug 8, 2003

is it true that the club is deeply rooted in Hungary's Jewish community?

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 12:30
Membro (2002)
Da Ungherese a Inglese
+ ...

Moderatore di questo Forum
A history/sports question - or is it?... Aug 9, 2003

Dan Brennan wrote:
is it true that the club is deeply rooted in Hungary's Jewish community?

Dear Dan,

First you say you are interested in the MTK Club's "history, current performance and team, star players, politics, interesting anecdotes... all that sort of thing," then all of a sudden you post this rather specific question. I do not know, nor do I wish to know, what it is exactly that you're looking for, so let me just provide you with a couple of (working) links, and then if you could discuss your further thoughts on the subject matter (whatever that might be) *elsewehere* - that'd be splendid!
Thanks.

Ildiko

http://www.jafi.org.il/agenda/2001/english/wk29/9.asp

http://www.jewishsports.com/jewsin/history/soccerhistory.htm

Andras Szivak
Andras Szivak
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Football Aug 9, 2003

"is it true that the club is deeply rooted in Hungary's Jewish community?"

I think it is not true. The fans of this club are rather sanguinary boors than clever Jewish people. Around a month ago they have beaten the players of their own team. Just wait a minute? Maybe it was the footbal club FTC? I do not know exactly.

Erika P (X)
Erika P (X)  Identity Verified
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
MTK Hungaria - Glasgow Celtic in the Ferenc Puskas Stadium Aug 9, 2003

Wow, just read the news – sounds like it will be an exciting match, I wish I could go.
Their website has an excellent article under the history menu in English. You’ll find a reference about the Jewish founder Alfred Brüll, and the atrocities the players had to suffer during the thirties and forties, so yes, there is a connection with the Jewish community.
Because I do not move in sports circles ( and my dad was an FTC
... See more
Wow, just read the news – sounds like it will be an exciting match, I wish I could go.
Their website has an excellent article under the history menu in English. You’ll find a reference about the Jewish founder Alfred Brüll, and the atrocities the players had to suffer during the thirties and forties, so yes, there is a connection with the Jewish community.
Because I do not move in sports circles ( and my dad was an FTC fan, anyway...) I do not know how things stand nowadays - but my instinct says such a connection is not acknowledged in the same way as it is perhaps for the London football clubs, Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea.
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Regno Unito
Da Russo a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
thanks Aug 14, 2003

Thanks to those of you who tried to help

Ildiko, I have to say I found your response a little perverse, not to mention strangely grumpy. But I suppose you did post me a couple of links, so I thank you for that.

I see nothing strange in my sequence of questions.

You don't want to know why I was asking, but sinc
... See more
Thanks to those of you who tried to help

Ildiko, I have to say I found your response a little perverse, not to mention strangely grumpy. But I suppose you did post me a couple of links, so I thank you for that.

I see nothing strange in my sequence of questions.

You don't want to know why I was asking, but since others might, here it is:

http://www.news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=872912003&rware=LCUBPLDGUXPV&CQ_CUR_DOCUMENT=6

As for the other poster who claimed that the nature of the club's current support offered evidence that its origins could not be in the Jewish community, well, that's hardly worthy of a retort, and the subsequent poster proved him wrong with a more reasoned response (for which, many thanks). The current owner of MTK, just like the founder, is a prominent member of the Jewish business community (who also, oddly enough, owns a majority holding in Fradi...)

PS - can't help being saddened by the woeful demise of football in the country that once brought us Puskas. Losing at home 4-0 to the side that finished second in Scotland last season.... a sorry state of affairs.

[Edited at 2003-08-14 05:18]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Ildiko Santana[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MTK Hungaria

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »